Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cannot connect to BS2p40 — Parallax Forums

Cannot connect to BS2p40

Yesterday this problem showed up after months of using the BS2p40 to run a bandsaw sawmill. When I hit F9 it tries to connect then says no basic stamp found. It is setup to connect on com12. I've checked Device Manager and updated com12 driver. No help. I've checked preferences in the editor and its setup for com12, 9600, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit. I've tried another usb cable. No help. The BS2p40 is running a program so it must be ok. I've logic probed serial in and serial out of the cpu and I get activity on both when I press F9 so it would seem the serial bd is ok. I'm able to connect to a BS2 stamp on com8.
Can anyone Help me?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    If you select Run / Identify, what do you get for echo and loopback?
  • Chris, Thanks for your reply. I get com12, loopback yes, echo no.
    edited 2016-10-27 20:56
    Loss of echo indicates a break in the circuit between the TX and RX pins on the PC side. Has the module become loose in the socket? Often this is the result of the SIN/SOUT pins not being fully in the socket (bent/broken).
  • The module hasn't been out of the socket until just now. I removed it and cleaned with a small brush then reinstalled it without bending any pins. Then I soldered in two new wires from pins 2 and 3 of the db9 connector to pins 1 and 2 of the cpu just to make sure everything was ok there. I've still got the same problem.
    *continued via phone

ECHO test passed, meaning the issue in in the module itself.
  • Note:
    Thanks for that Technical troubleshooting/operation of the Micro-Controller. Will add that to my knowledge base.

Thanks again
    edited 2016-11-02 18:24
    Howard,

There are a other possibilities that are outside my ability to test for and/or see remotely. Noisy power supply. Low power. Short/Break on the DTR/ATN line, etc. Even /RST being held low on the module.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Howard,

There are a other possibilities that are outside my ability to test for and/or see remotely. Noisy poser supply. Low power. Short/Break on the DTR/ATN line, etc. Even /RST being held low on the module.

And what is this 'noisy poser supply" posing as?

LOL, sorry Chris, couldn't resist that one.
    edited 2016-11-02 18:25
    This is what I get for doing stuff on my tablet. I really hate auto-correct.

My phone is constantly trying to change real words into e-mail addresses I don't even recognize. :confused:
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    This is what I get for doing stuff on my tablet. I really hate auto-correct.

My phone is constantly trying to change real words into e-mail addresses I don't even recognize. :confused:

I know what you mean. Really aggravating when the so called AI software insists on changing what you want to what it thinks is correct. Even worse when you don't notice it and it gets sent to a customer.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Howard,

There are a other possibilities that are outside my ability to test for and/or see remotely. Noisy poser supply. Low power. Short/Break on the DTR/ATN line, etc. Even /RST being held low on the module.

And what is this 'noisy poser supply" posing as?

LOL, sorry Chris, couldn't resist that one.

That's funny, I have trouble sounding intelligent without the help of auto-correct, when your in a hurry it's surprising what gets put down, proof reading is a must. What burns me up is when you need spell correction on a simple word and it doesn't have a clue.