Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Neat Little Dual Motor Controller — Parallax Forums

Neat Little Dual Motor Controller

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
This thing wasn't easy to get, but it fills a real need IMO. Drives 2 small DC motors (1.3A max/channel) using servo type pulses. Effectively makes continuous rotation servos out of plain old DC motors.

Comments

• I'll have to repost this one:

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Yup, a neat new toy and a solution in search of the right problem. Almost like a pair of micro HB-25s. Not too shabby for $1.71, huh?
  • Thanks Erco,
    I was experimenting with a STEM demonstration 3axis gimbal controller using continuous servos, but I found all the servo gearing made the them "sticky" and very tricky to control accurately.
    DC motors will obviously be much more responsive, and I should be able to get much more accurate control.
    Really? Which servos? The CR servos I have been using have all worked quite well, except the FS90R, ironically by the same company which makes this controller board.

FYI PDF attached AOK
  • erco wrote: »
    This thing wasn't easy to get, but it fills a real need IMO.

I love the descriptions on Alibaba/Aliexpress:
    Material: Wood
    Function: Light & Sound
    For: children,kids

That is a seriously cool find, though. Curiosity got the best of me and I was able to find a chassis kit on Amazon that claims to use this device (although it is not clearly shown in the pictures.

edited 2016-09-03 15:41
    Yes that's their mc-002 kit shown briefly at

I think these are neat, I may buy a small quota after some more testing, if anyone is interested. The mfr only ships via DHL so it's a minimum $10 shipping charge.
    I ordered ten more, so I'll soon have ~5 for sale if anyone wants one to play with. ~$4 shipped. PM me.
    Finally had a minute to build this motor driver into a self-contained module. Battery box+PIC controller+motor driver combo slaps on the top of any small differential steered chassis (two gearmotors). Made quick work of a figure 8 on this cute little round chassis, also from Feetech. I think this module will come in handy for future bot development.

1763 x 1403 - 401K
    Another Feetech chassis with this controller slapped on.

• Erco
    Was C1 attached to the controller when it left Ca or did USPS detach it?
    Jim
  • Does your hat trick count since it was not based on a Parallax controller?
    Jim
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    Erco
    Was C1 attached to the controller when it left Ca or did USPS detach it?
    Jim
    Oh no! Did they machine sort it? Sorry to hear that. Do you need a polarity check to solder a new one on?
  • It broke the solder joint at the board. The pins are bent in such a way as to make the reattach obvious. I hope solder wick works. Holes don't appear to be through the board.
    Jim
  • Surgery was a success, patient is healed and I was successful running 2 robotic gear motors from the shack. Using Duane's QuickStart board servo tester I had wheels turning! Next step, run QS off 5 volt USB power pack and motors off of 6 NIMH batteries.
    Jim
    Excellent report, soldier! I'm having fun with the little module I built around this controller board. Slap some kinda bot together and post in Figure 8. I'm alone and outta control over there. You won't believe what's coming next...
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Nice work folks - looks like some good fun. That figure 8 should be added the the gallery erco!
    Whit wrote: »
    That figure 8 should be added the the gallery erco!

Way ahead of you, Padre!