Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$25 Hexapod Chassis, One Only, Act Fast! — Parallax Forums

$25 Hexapod Chassis, One Only, Act Fast!

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2016-05-26 19:45 in Robotics
I contacted the seller of this $100 "Cricket" kit about selling the chassis parts only, which he did. He listed two and I just got one, so only one remains. Who will answer the call? It's a simple 3-servo hexapod, with room to hold a 4th servo & ultrasonic sensor. Along the lines of the classic "StampBug. A rare opportunity for sure! Won't last, no time to pontificate! Click now, think later! :)http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cricket-Walking-Hexapod-Robot-Chassis-Kit-CHASSIS-KIT-ONLY/322122926636

Creator Henry Arnold originally this in a BS-2 powered version: http://home.earthlink.net/~henryarnold/ More recently, he sold a Picaxe version and the current Arduino model: http://www.cricket-the-robot.com/

Who will Propellerize this Cricket? Lemme know who buys this kit. Say it loud, say it proud! I'm guessing it won't last an hour after I post. And... GO!

@Matt, Andy & Parallax: You guys really should be selling a kit like this. C'mon, put that laser cutter to work. Plywood, acrylic, whatever. Cross-platform. Put it out there and turn us loose.

IMG_2538sm.JPG

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-05-26 20:36
    Nice that it chirps too!

The documentation is very impressive!

I case no one has said it today - You, Sir erco, are a BAD influence.
  • There's only one left now.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2016-05-26 23:00
    Oh yes, my mistake he listed 3. Martin, me and who else will cowboy up?

Looks like flat laser cut sheet, with some split loom pieces added for detail.
  • ...as Chris Isaak sang, "...did a bad, bad thing." :)
    So Rick got the third one, nice! Now just one remains... who will step up? Duane, Andy, Jon, or Whit? Carol?
  • You forgot me. :)
    I was hoping someone else would get it, (trying to save money for the Toddler Toes PCB order), but they waited too long.

Who just snagged it? WHIT?
    NICE, JIM! We posted simultaneously at 2:53. Now it's a robot party!

FYI, seller Henry Arnold may be listing an assembled Picaxe version soon, if anyone is interested. But IIRC I'm the main/only Picaxe supporter here.
    Wanted it B A D... Holding out to support Jim on his Twinkle Toe board order! :-)
    Well, sorry you missed out but I'm glad you didn't take $25 out of the offering plate! :)
    edited 2016-05-28 02:38
    I figured I could always contact Henry! It is a nice design - how are you going to ad smarts to your's? Maybe he will put one it the collection plate!

I think this is Ken's basic plan for the Badge-Bot! http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162476/bug-bot-hack-for-the-hackable-electronic-badge

Remember?
    Whit wrote: »

Nice badge-bot, but that project has gone dark. I'm sure S3 has rightful priority for the time being.

I hope so, but I want both!
    edited 2016-05-29 23:01
    Whit and anyone else left gnashing their teeth because they didn't "jump on the Cricket" deal can DIY a similar 3-servo plywood hexapod per some PDFs I uploaded previously. This smaller walker uses 9-gram servos instead of Cricket's standard-size servos.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1270979/#Comment_1270979
    Another video from Henry, "The Cricket in Action". Walking robots are coooooooool.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Erco,
    I have resisted almost all your postings!
    Damn you. Cannot resist any more :(

Must build a "cricket" or similar with my grandsons of 5 & 7, using a Prop of course!
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Another one bites the dust... :)

erco wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Another one bites the dust... :)
    Cannot get that song out of my head!

Anyway, just ordered a pile of nuts and bolts and the battery compartments. Going to initially try building the legs with paddle pop sticks tomorrow when I have the boys after school. I have some servos already. Wish me luck ;)

Good luck Cluso99! As you build sing, "We are the Champions!"

I've paid my dues
    Time after time
    I've done my sentence
    But committed no crime
    And bad mistakes
    I've made a few
    I've had my share of sand
    Kicked in my face
    But I've come through

And we mean to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions - my friends
    And we'll keep on fighting
    Till the end
    We are the champions
    We are the champions
    No time for losers
    'Cause we are the champions of the World
  • 5 & 7? Good luck!!!

Should be fun times....even if you end up not really building anything, it's the process sometimes! :)
    I have a paying gig now to make a special version of a hexapod this size. I have an idea how to do it with one servo. Ain't life grand!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-05-31 20:03
    If anyone can do it, you can.
    I have been on eBay and bought some M2 T couplers, rods, base boards, straight 7x7x154, etc. Going to have a go at making my/our own versions.

I emailed Henry. Really nice guy who said I could copy the design or he could sell me any of the parts.

I understand the concept. So I think making our own will have a better impact on the kids rather than just assembling a kit. Lots of trial and error ahead.

Has anyone tried bending those 2mm rods with long threads each end?

Do you think standard but ancient Futarba Servos will do the job?
    Got mine today in a simple manilla envelope. Don't repeat my mistake of nearly throwing out the antenna wires, which are NOT inside the ziplock bag and tend to stay stealthily in the manilla envelope.
  • Ditto. got mine today also. Good the wire made it through USPS without bending. I like that wire. Would be good for Toddlers. Going to check out some brass stuff at Local hobby shop.
  • Got mine today as well. I have three spare servos and several control boards I can use with it.
  • Manilla envelopes in my mailbox...one of them is this little guy!!!

Projects, projects everywhere!!!
    edited 2016-06-01 00:06
    @Ken: Consider this free market research. Four Parallax robot lovers pounced on this bot in a heartbeat. Cluso99 is making one from popsicle-sticks when he's not cursing me. I know Whit & Duane are kicking themselves for missing out.

That's a fair amount of animation and maneuverability for just 3 servos. Almost makes 16-servo hexapods look silly. Amirite?

Parallax should be selling a kit like this. Talk about an opportunity! You could partner with Henry or roll your own. It's a walking Boebot, perfect for schools. 4H club kids built and programmed these to dance the "Harlem Shake":