Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bug Bot Hack for the Hackable Electronic Badge — Parallax Forums

Bug Bot Hack for the Hackable Electronic Badge

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2015-10-13 20:00 in Robotics
Many of you may have seen this photo over on the Parallax Facebook page. Ken, some others, and I have been discussing a Bug Bot hack for the Hackable Electronic Badge. Ken beat everybody to the punch with this photo of a three servo model.

12088339_1646011389017689_8793781489656063769_n.jpg

I was hoping to build a two servo model (inspired by Mark Tilden's BEAM Two Servo Walker from Junk Bots, Bugbots & Bots on Wheels. I would, of course, use the Hackable Badge as the brains. Mine will be dubbed the "Badge Bot!" Here is a proof of concept (not that it really needed proving!) video for you review. I will keep you all posted. Input please...

Comments

• Whit!
    Fantastic!

Reminds me of Christmas. Rudolf's rubberband rampage.

Really excited to see those red legs on a badge.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-10-14 20:03
    Nice, Whitster! Re: "Junk Bots, Bugbots & Bots on Wheels", I was just reading that book this morning. I though your bot looked familiar!

Now what are the dimensions of the badge, maybe 3"x5"?
  • erco wrote: »
    Now what are the dimensions of the badge, maybe 3"x5"?

closer to 2.75" x 4"

Make a nice robot chest if you could figure out the arms and legs.
    Oh wait... seems Whit almost has !

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-10-14 20:43
    Thanks guys! Check out the amazing Phil Pilgrim, aka Phi Pi's MoBug (I wish this had made it to production. I especially like the whiskered like cut legs!) This is a different servo configuration and notice the way the front legs sit up on another leg segment. Climbs good and the rear legs push well.

Next step is backing up - turning forward and backward in either direction and then on the erco figure eight challenge! ;-)
    Phil's bot is particularly well-done since it really picks up the rear legs too. Other 2-servo walkers mostly drag their rear feet on the ground. Tilting the servo axles "just right" and finessing the CG makes all the difference in the world. Bravo, PhiPi! This would make a worthy badge bot. WANT!
    I offered to Ken that I would make him a 1-servo vertical badge bot like my lumber-bot below, but have not heard back, so maybe he didn't like the idea.

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Phil is the man! I played with his configuration a bit today. It is hard to capture a good look from the video. It is much more nuanced than you would imagine. Still trying...

What's not to like with your one servo wonder, pal? I think it is brilliant!