Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DHB-10 Dual H-Bridge — Parallax Forums

DHB-10 Dual H-Bridge

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2016-05-09 21:10 in Robotics
Finally cracked under the great emotional strain of the new Arlo Complete System release and ordered the DHB-10 Dual H-Bridge. It is back-ordered right now - which should give me time to study the pdf product info...

My Arlo-like version is a bit Frankenstein-ish going back to the original 12 V Wheel and Motors, MadeUSA, Eddie, etc. - even have one HDPE platform and one plywood platform! ;-)

With the new DHB-10 - I should be able to play with new stuff up on Learn.parallax.com and use my Propeller Activity Board along with the new motor controller for some "up-to-date" fun without the nifty wooden box, of course, - maybe erco can send me some scrap plywood...
1000 x 1000 - 1M
1000 x 870 - 2M

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-05-09 23:14
    I placed an order with Parallax today and if the DHB-10 had been in stock I would have likely purchased one.

I'd think a lot of the Eddie code should work on it.

I haven't seen a schematic or other documentation, we all know and love from Parallax, for this board. Anyone know where the additional documentation is hiding?

Edit: After looking at the firmware in more detail, I see the current firmware has a lot of similarities to the Eddie firmware.
  • https://www.parallax.com/product/28231

Product guide and firmware guide are under "Downloads & Documentation".
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-05-09 21:24
    Thanks Courtney - already downloaded them...both!

Trying to remember whether I have a Prop Plug... Never mind that - of course I do - I was thinking about the old clip on verson - was it the Prop-clip?

Yeah Duane - I waited a bit too long too -so in back-order - your recent thread (re: the beloved HB-25) got me fired up, but also wanting to play with new info in "Learn!"
    Wow - it was the Prop Clip - I had almost forgotten this... I don't think I ever had one.
    314 x 447 - 25K
  • https://www.parallax.com/product/28231

Product guide and firmware guide are under "Downloads & Documentation".

I also downloaded the documents I could find from the product page.

I see there's a list of pins used but I don't see a schematic or BOM. I'm used to being spoiled with lots of details from Parallax.

• I asked the product owner, Duane, and the schematic should be available soon.
  • I asked the product owner, Duane, and the schematic should be available soon.

Thank you.

• I just uploaded the open source design files to the 28231 DHB-10 Motor Controller product page. They come packaged as a single .zip download.
    • Diptrace PCB Layout
    • Diptrace Schematic
    • PDF Schematic (for customers without Diptrace)
    • BOM file

https://www.parallax.com/product/28231
  • Yumee! Diptrace files.
  • Publison wrote: »
    Yumee! Diptrace files.

+1

Thanks Courtney.

I was looking at the firmware and it looks like there are a lot of similarities between the DHB-10 commands and the Eddie commands. I'm very pleased to see the firmware is written in Spin and PASM.

I'll be watching the stock on this one. I don't want to back order the board since by the time it's in stock there will likely be other things I'll want to purchase at the same time.

edited 2016-05-10 00:23
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm very pleased to see the firmware is written in Spin and PASM.

I'll be watching the stock on this one. I don't want to back order the board since by the time it's in stock there will likely be other things I'll want to purchase at the same time.

Yes! I like that about the firmware too (and the inclusion of some of the great ideas in the S2 Object!).

Come on Duane - go ahead and order and get a place in line - behind me, of course...
    edited 2016-05-14 02:13
    28231.png

Arrived today. Absolutely beautiful construction - very well designed and feature packed - just what we've all come to love about Parallax products - love getting a package with the Parallax packing tape!

It is a very compact design too.
  • Nice,it will be interesting to see your first application running.
    Jim
  • Whit wrote: »
    Arrived today. Absolutely beautiful construction - very well designed and feature packed

That does look nice!

I've been reading through the downloads and there's a lot of interesting things going on with that board.

I just ordered one for myself.

Thanks again Parallax for adding the open source files.

edited 2016-05-14 22:41
    :-) Duane
    edited 2016-05-14 22:42
    Jim - Updating Frankenstein-Arlo (MadeUSA, Eddie) and playing with the new Learn posts! See thread top!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I'll thank you rich guys to compare and contrast this new $50 DHB-10 to my old standby, the $1.09 L298N. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-H-Bridge-Stepper-Motor-Drive-Controller-Board-Module-For-Arduino-L298N-HX-/321946985089
  • I'll take the bait Erco!

That L298N based device is china rated at only 2A continuous, which is not sufficient for Arlo wheels. There are various other issues, but shoving all that aside, it doesn't even contain a Parallax Propeller! Perhaps good for small servos though.

One great advantage of the DHB-10 seems that the on-board Propeller might enable some creative folk to move control code directly into it. Or even daisy chained to other DHB-10's. I'm figuring the 4 IO's will enable both serial in-out and also interfacing to an RX module for use with a standard radio transmitter. I'd say the DHB-10 platform has great potential for creativity and learning well beyond the basic firmware. Young seeds with a bit of watering could grow a lot.
  • BTW.... When I was thinking "daisy chained", my mind was picturing double, triple, or even more Arlo's linked in a chain ! Like a group of friends figuring out how to join their robots together to create the 4 or 6 wheeled All-Drive Arlo! That would be a powerful "stuff" shifter, and hill climber.

Sounds like a new robot challenge!
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    That L298N based device is china rated at only 2A continuous, which is not sufficient for Arlo wheels.

Thanks for that input, Dr. VS. Just don't get me started on the high current needs of those crazy inefficient worm drive motors. It's been a good day so far and I plan to keep it that way! :)

• According to Uncle Sam, my DHB-10 is in Sacramento.

Our friend Gordon has expressed his disapproval of the L298N. Like you, I'm a sucker for the cheap prices of the h-bridge.

The mention of the lowly L298N gives me an excuse to post a video of my Mecanum wheeled robot which makes use of two of these cheap ebay boards. (Jump to 2:00 to see the robot in action.)

One great advantage of the DHB-10 seems that the on-board Propeller might enable some creative folk to move control code directly into it.

Absolutely. I'm sure the DHB-10 could be a stand alone robot control board. I'm not sure if there will be I/O pins to add many sensors but I'm sure a smartphone controlled Arlo, using the DHB-10 with a Bluetooth module is in my near future.
    Or even daisy chained to other DHB-10's. I'm figuring the 4 IO's will enable both serial in-out and also interfacing to an RX module for use with a standard radio transmitter.

I imagine two DBH-10 boards could be used to control a Mecanum wheeled robot. If I ever have two of them, I'll likely give it a try.

I have four of these motors/encoder sets. I plan to use them to build an better version of a Mecanum wheeled robot. A pair of DHB-10 boards would make an interesting (though a bit pricey) controller for the robot. Maybe if a get another "code for parts" gig with Ken, I'll get a second DHB-10 to try it in "daisy-chain" mode.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    The mention of the lowly L298N gives me an excuse to post a video of my Mecanum wheeled robot

That's so cool Duane!

Like dancing on ice!!

The motors you mention look perfect for the DHB-10, seeing as they plug straight into the DHB-10 motor headers. Too easy.
    I've gotta search for some Mecanum wheels that plug onto those same shafts.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-05-17 06:41
    I've gotta search for some Mecanum wheels that plug onto those same shafts.

Vex makes several sizes but back when I started my project they only had one size.

Vex no long has a product page for the Mecanum wheels but you can find them listed on this page.

The wheels have Vex's square hole which is intended for use with their square axles. I drilled the Vex wheels out so the Rover 5 axles would fit in them. I also drilled a hole down through the side of the wheel so I could add a set screw. I've documented the project in the Robotics Forum and on Hackaday.io.

I think the Vex wheels are great. Erco even has a set.

The Fingertech sells a set of Mecanum wheels but they cost more than the Vex wheels and the Fingertech Mecanum wheels don't work nearly as well as the Vex Mecanum wheels.

The Rover 5 is a bit under powered to drive these wheels. I think the motors I have from Parallax will be a better fit for these wheels.
    Yup, mecanum wheels are fun to watch. Duane's Rover 5 demo is awesome. My plywood platform above uses two L298Ns and BASIC Stamp 2. It's important that the chassis pivots to let all 4 wheels touch the ground and distribute the weight evenly. If one wheel loses contact, it's game over.