Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Printed Propeller Manual? — Parallax Forums

Printed Propeller Manual?

So I am assuming Parallax stoped selling a printed version of the Prop manual? As I get more in to PASM I find I need to reference it a quite a bit and I dont like having only a PDF...

I see they have also taken down the Buy/Sell forum for some odd reason... :/ Is there a place to buy the manual still, ive looked around with no luck. Anyone got an extra copy laying around?

Comments

• It shouldn't cost much to have it printed at a local print shop. They can bind them pretty cheap too. If they ask, Page #2 - Parallax Inc. grants the user a conditional right to download, duplicate, and distribute this text without Parallax's permission.
  • I print books all the time and have them bound, I just had to do this with my Siglent scope manual. The problem is the prop manual is a few hundred pages, that is alot of toner! The print shop in my area is like 0 or 15 cents a page!!! They bind my printed books for 4 bucks with a nice cover and jacket but having them print it is out of the question! Id much rather buy a nice copy of the book than have to spend 70 bucks for more toner. :)

I will print it, if its my only choice but having an actual book would be nice
  • You could also try an online service like: http://www.simpleprintservice.com/manuals

I uploaded the Prop Manual v 1.2 and selected the medium soft cover option (it appears to be in color as well). Quote was 30.31 USD.

(note: no affiliation. just one of the first hits when googling "print and bind pdf online".)
  • Thanks for the tip Seairth, nice service!

@Publison, thanks for that too, that is weird I searched amazon for propeller manual and didnt get any of those results... I sort of feel like an idiot now....
  • I actually printed the Propeller Manual V1.01 in color on an HP Inkjet, have 5 copies made and bound to give to others.

If you can get a laser printer with a good paper feed, it is likely to be a much more pleasant job. The real challenge is to get double-sided pages to come out right. The more paper jams you have, the more you end up wasting a lot in reruns.

If would be nice to have the Propeller Manual V1.20, but the whole process of printing one copy seems expensive. Once you have the one master copy, it is nothing to get a copier to generate 5 or 10 double sided copies.

So maybe, some collaboration is in order. I wish I had a local print service that just would print the whole PDF double-sided from a CD.
  • Abe Books has the Propeller Manual in various versions.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Propeller+Manual
  • I printed the book on a laser printer and I used a program called FinePrint to print at half size and double-sided. I bound it together in a two parts: a Spin section and a PASM section (only because we were out of bigger binding rings at the time). Each of the two parts turned out to be just about equal size, about 5/8" (~7mm) thick.

Many printer drivers have the capability of printing at half-size or quarter-size nowadays. And of course many printers have duplexers nowadays that automatically print double-sided (I had to use FinePrint to print the front sides first, then the back sides, I think).

===Jac
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-03 13:00
    Yes, many people in Taiwan print two pages to one-side on single-sided printer; then fold all the pages before binding into a book. The only disadvantage is smaller print, weight is about the same.

Some printers will refuse to bind one book or just make you wait until they can include it in a larger book-binding run. Try to work with them and you will save money.

Copy cost here are $1-2NTD per letter-sized (actually A4) page per size -- that is about 2 1/2 to 5 cents USD and cheap enough to make getting several copies done. The big copier machines get their toner for a much lower price than our home laser printers.
    ++++++++++++

Many books in English that I purchase in Taiwan are double the retail US price due to shipping costs. Even if I buy from a local source on-line, it seems they mark up according to what ordering from abroad would be - so all imported books are a bit over-priced when compared to buying the same in the US.

We do have E-books that make the situation much better, but the Propeller Manual V1.2 (which has never been in print, only PDF) is one of those publications that I would like to have an actual text for reference. I guess I will have to just DIY a copy.

My main frustration here is that there are copiers that will print double-sided and from a computer file. So it seems that the only thing missing is the licensing and royalty payment for printing an E-book locally. It just seems like a good industry that is ignored --- local copy shops would benefit from more work, and the publisher and author from more sales.

In my own case, I found that the binding of the book is more an issue than the copying. The machine that binds the book uses a hot glue and many shops don't want to bother with turning it on for just one book. So if one does decide to print their own; you can either tell the shop to hold your book until they get a big job, or you might have them copy your master several times, bind all of them and share your expenses with other Propeller users near you. Maybe you can time printing with a coming local Propeller gathering.

++++++
    I still like printed texts for reference while working on a programming project. And I find that reading E-books is unpleasant on small screens, so I'd rather have an actual book when I am away from my desk. But notebook computer and Pad phone are great for a lot of things, but concentrated reading is not one of them.
  • Is printing double sided a problem? I use a newer wifi brother printer at home and I print all my manuals and books double sided I have never had a single issue.... Of course the only parallax stuff I have printed and bound so far would be the users manual, but that still wasnt an issue I just opened the PDF in chrome check the double sided property under the print options and away it went.

So I printed these myself as 15 cents a page is alot of money, used Photoshop to make a cover, printed on card stock and then payed 4 dollars for the binding along with a translucent cover and black plastic backing.

openbook.jpg
    covers.jpg
    edited 2015-10-03 18:28
    Double-sided printing can be a problem with paper jams. Some paper doesn't run well when going through a laser printer, or any printer a second time. I suspect the best solution is to buy high quality paper -- maybe without any recycle content. It is generally acknowledged that copiers need good stiff fiber to work well, and recycled fiber makes the paper softer and more prone to jamming.

Fifteen cents a copy seems high. I would be looking for a copy center that offers the lowest price possible. You might find a local university that has better prices as a student population supports a lot of copying... but are a very price sensitive population.

One can buy paper that is pre-punched for the plastic binding that you show in your attached photo. And many copy centers have the machine that will do the binding and let you do it if you buy the supplies there. Again, schools may have this device available for free. Still, I prefer the hot glue binding for a better, longer-lasting book.
    edited 2015-10-03 19:59
    I went to Google and searched 'print manuals cheap' to seek out a solution to getting a good Propeller Manual V1.2 in bound 6"x9" B/W with B/W cover. This includes what the trade called 'perfect binding' and I presume that is the hot-glue.

You could get a copy for $12.50 USD each if you ordered 10 or more at one time.

http://www.bestvaluecopy.com offered such a quote on 10 books 400 pages shipped to San Francisco zip code, including shipping. If the order is larger (more than $125.00 USD), you get free shipping. If looks like 13 books would get you the free shipping and bring the price closer to $10.00 USD each.

That is quoted at a bit less than 2 cents per page for just the printing.. works out to about 2.5 cents per page including binding, shipping, and all for 13 or more books.

Okay, the actual Propeller Manual V1.2 is 399 pages, but double sided printing rounds up. And one might considering adding some back paged suppliments to the same binding of all the different PASM documents to have a really complete reference. It could creep up to 450 pages. I can think of three PASM documents that might be included. I will provide a list if others want to include these items.

++++++++++
    The main point is that people are going to have to do this cooperatively to get a low price. Nobody wants to print one copy and offer the best price..

If somebody wants to organize this, I would be interested in buying two copies and paying for shipping to Taiwan. I'd even be willing to pre-pay the two books plus shipping to get the ball rolling. That could be about $45.00USD. Let's just say $50USD in advance and you make change with delivery. I could even wait a month or two to get delivery.
  • Im in on a group buy, living in ca i could get the books shipped cheaply to my house. So thats 3 copies 7 more anyone??
  • Btw do local shops offer hot glue binding? I myself would rather have spiral like parallax books over comb binding, but my localy owned copy shop only does comb.

If most kinkos or whatever do hot glue im willing to drive.. heck i may be willing to pick up the tools to do it, but i dont know much about the process.

I could also print books like the ones above for people if there was a group buy which was enough to cover a toner and the binding of each. They would be black and white but thats not a huge issue.
    edited 2015-10-03 20:20
    First, I am in Taiwan -- so someone in the USA has to manage orders and shipping.

Second, I dislike the spiral bound book as the covers soon fall off. I really want the hot glue option -- not negotiable. I could do this all locally for less than the $50USD for two books, but I am willing to seed a good cause.

++++++++
    So we really need a people that will commit to a dozen or so copies of the same thing. Different bindings and different options just drive us back into our own corners.

2.5 cents per page, bound plus shipping from somewhere in the U.S.A seems good enough. Does the Post Office still offer book rate inside the US? They destroyed it internationally.
    People in other cities could ship together to one address to bring down costs.
  • USPS had 'Media Rate' for sending books through the mail, and an 'International Book Rate' that was switched from shipping via cargo ship (about 8 or so weeks to Taiwan) to air frieght (which is really expensive).

Of course, one can go the 'Fed-Up' route if that is your cup of tea.
  • I'm interested in a copy.

What is the difference between the proposed "custom" bound copies versus the original Parallax book, as shown both on Amazon and Abe already?
  • I do have one if we are talking about the same thing Propeller manual version 1.01. I have it on PDF and one I printed on single side each page in sheet protectors four inches thick and has to weigh about ten pounds ( encyclopedia)
  • Well the difference would be price, and the official printed version is 1.1 while the new version that would get printed is 1.2
    edited 2015-10-04 02:50
    It seems Parallax only published a physical book of V1.10, and maybe V1.01. Both had errors and omissions that evolved into the V1.20 that seems to be the final authority.

I think the so-called 'perfect binding' is the same method used in the Parallax Manual V1.10. I did not bother to get a quote for a colored cover, just B/W. Something will have to be worked up for the Cover and Spline. I just figured to cut and paste the Title Page included within.

The V1.20 pdf has 'pop-up'' "new" and "improved" tags indicating additional or changed commentary that will likely be hidden from view in the printed text. I am not sure how this will work out with actual printing. Someone needs to do a few test pages to satisfy themselves and all of us. The tags may be partially buried under the binding of the left margin. The color will change to just B/W.

So...Nope - not discussing V1.01 nor V1.10, we are considering Propeller Manual V1.20, which Parallax has never published by Parallax in a physical text. V1.20 is not available is many of the foreign language versions, may only be in English.

Version 1.01 does have the Chapter 2 3 tutorial that was later removed, and the missing pages seemed to have been taken up with a great deal of correction and clairification.

As near as I can figure, a printed version at 400 pages will weigh about 2 pounds. Since everything is shipped in a box these days, I guess the shipping costs would be based on 3 pounds.

My printed and bound copy of the Propeller Manual V1.01 weights about 2 pounds and is 433 or so pages. The size is 6" x 8 1/4", not sure what the printer trimmed off before binding but I think I used B4 sized paper. This is a good size. 8 1/2" x 11" or A4 would be a bit too big.
  • I just print them on my laser printer or just download the PDF on a thumb drive and take it to Kinko,s (FedEx kinko's or whatever they call it now)
  • Well, you certainly can use Kinko's or FedEx or whatever. But I did take a look at their pricing and it was at least 3X as expensive, and they didn't offer the 'perfect binding' as an option.

Perhaps you pay more, get less.
  • Okay, definitely count me in then.
    edited 2015-10-04 02:55
    So we have 6 wanted, and 7 to go.
    It seems that just the 399 pages with no fancy additions is what we are looking at. Figure shipping to be about 2 1/2 pounds per book. Total cost including shipping and printing are looking to be about $17.50USD for Media Rate USPS delivery.... more if something else is specified.

And of course, the person who takes the whole order, handles the funds, and forwards to others gets his books without the shipping cost as a Thank You.

2 books => Loopy
    1 book => Swim Dude
    3 books => RWGast

Terms - Pre-payment prior to order the print run. :-D
  • I'd signup for one. Hope the "person who takes the whole order..." takes PayPAL. tc
  • oh no no no lol I only want one but ill go for 2 to make things easier, I tend to lose books sometimes :). But if you guys want I will can handle everything as long as the money is covered first. Since im in CA and the print house is in San Fran I will probably get them shipped quicker. After all they Paypal money is sent and order is processed we can do shipping via media mail price per person. Or for loopy and others internationally we can work together to figure out the best shipping procedure you want to pay for. Im not on parallax forums alot anymore Im currently using the prop for a project but I seem to use cypress PSoC and AVR more. The prop while awesome is just to big for some projects, or two pricey compared to the Cypress PSoC with built in CPLD and Programmable Analog fabric. I basically use the prop when I have alot to do on the CPU and I have to use higher end ADC/DAC/OpAmps than PSoC has built it. Like right now my project is using 16bit DACs dithered and 24bit ADC's so a prop works nicely!

Anyways the point is if you guys want to do this and want me to take care of doing the work shoot me an e-mail as soon as we get to the number we need as I might not see it in the thread immediately.
  • I would like to get in but I printed the 1.1 at 8-1/2 x 11 in a three ring binder, It's easier the read the print. When 1.2 came out, I just printed the 37 pages that changed and inserted them in the binder. None of the text got pushed to other pages, so the upgrade was easy.

I prefer spiral bound on manuals, since they take up less space when you fold them over. Since this is not an option on this order, I will opt out.

Thanks for offering though.
    edited 2015-10-05 18:39
    Hmmm.... a bit of back and forth.
    I really didn't think that binding choices would be so decisive.

Also, I have no idea WHERE in the USA the printing house is. I just used a San Francisco Zip Code to get a quote as a starting point. That order was for 10 books. But by ordering 13, you get the FREE shipping regardless of where.

Paypal is likely to the be easiest means of payment. I could issue a check on a US bank as a second alternative. BUT it does seem we should get a full 13 pledged books, before collecting money.

3-Ring binders, wire bound, or others simply require pre-punched paper, and the related stuff. I see that Fed Ex/Kinkos and other big names only provide these options as they don't want to train staff or buy the additional equipment.

The 'perfect binding' usually means the whole text is trimmed to nice clean edges, and then glued with cover in place -- it takes really print shop equipment... safety issues and electrical service.

I do understand that some like that the books lie flat when open. My situation is that I tend to carry books with me than the other bindings tend to have the covers pull off if books are carried in a back-pack or bag.
    ++++++++++++++++++

So, let's see if we can get to that magic 13 books pledged before Thanksgiving. Okay.

So far -- only 5.