Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 ADOPTERS: Yay or Nay? — Parallax Forums

Win10 ADOPTERS: Yay or Nay?

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2015-08-01 15:44 in General Discussion
Would love to hear some feedback from the early adopters. Any software issues or failed hardware compatibility?
Haters: there's a different thread nearby for you to vent in. Please comment here only if you are using Windows 10.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-08-01 15:40
    Nay. Unless it is forced onto one of my Win8 tablets or my Asus convertible. Obviously, if I have no say in the matter, I have no say in the matter.
    Actually, the only one I might try and convert is my dual boot Android/Win8 tablet - it has a Chinese version of Win8, so I wonder what my upgrade would be? I could end up being an early adapter.

Sorry, I thought you were looking for jumpers, not those who had already jumped. If I happen to go on any of the above, I'll let you know.

Nothing to see here, move along to the next post.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    The mere idea of forced updates means a big "Nay" here. Would not even dream of trying it. Which I can't anyway without laying out a pile of cash for no obvious benefit. 
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2015-08-01 15:37
    From what I've read, it's looking like something to avoid. There are a lot of rumblings about it being spyware. There is apparently a significant lack of privacy by default and advertising spam that can't be turned off unless you pay for a subscription. I don't know, definitely seems like a good idea to wait  a while and see. Microsoft is well known for often shooting themselves in the foot, this could be one of those times.

If you're considering switching to it, you might want to google "Windows 10 privacy" and do some reading first.

example:

https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30/windows-10-seems-to-have-some-scary-privacy-defaults/
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2015-08-01 15:41
    Per the request, please limit to feedback from people who have actually downloaded & used Win10 since the final version was released end July. I started another thread for haterz to vent in. :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-08-01 15:45
    Did free Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. The only reason was to check it out because I have a HP business machine with full restore CD's.  I can always go back when I install an SSD.
    It' a good thing I have been using Win8.1 on my HP Stream, because it would have been a hard upgrade, (visually). Seems to work OK so far, but only been installed for two days on a rarely used machine.
    I need to check all installed Parallax software now, (Propeller Tool, Basic Stamp, S2, PLX-DAQ, Basic Stamp Logic Analyzer, etc)
    erco,
    I'm not "Haterz", I am Heater. 
    Speaking with love and respect for everyone, spreading heat and light and hard won sagely advice to any who are willing to listen.
    Ah, OK, you don't buy that. Point taken. I'll keep schtum :)  
    Apologies, no haters here. Windows software is polarizing and I should have anticipated that rift! In any case, now there are two different threads for people to share their feelings and findings about Microsoft's finest. Latest. Whatever.

• Started to, however changed my mind once I thought about it a bit more.

I'll wait a couple of months and see how things turn out.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2015-08-02 13:15
    I'm happy with Win10. Have been using it for the last 6 months, everything seems to work fine. No software issues. Proptool, Arduino, Quartus etc all working. Even the 19 year old version of paint shop pro that I have got used to, has no problems. As for privacy, well nothing is private any more. Heck, just last week Facebook sent me a friend suggestion... for the next patient in the waiting room. (Not a friend request, a suggestion, and this is the computer algorithm figuring we might know each other. Ok, this person knows a few people I know, and yes, they probably can track his phone to know he happens to be in the same suburb as me, but apart from that, no connections between us. And it so happens this person is a bit of a tinfoil hat character - so I didn't tell him). Overall, very happy with Win10. Works fine with the new forum too. And thanks for starting the h8ters thread at the same time - I note with some mild concern it has twice as many views and comments as this thread :)
  • Today I plan on upgrading my Win 8.1 Pro box to Win 10. I will first start out by using the "install win 10" icon, if there is a delay associated with that, then I will use a win 10 install disk. Since my Win 8.1 Pro box is being used as a pseudo server, I do not foresee any privacy issues that cannot be overcome, but we shall see. When I am finished than I will do a brief description of my success.
    Ray
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2015-08-02 18:54
    I have switched two of my machines over to Windows 10 (one laptop and one desktop) both without any problems. It has worked with every bit of hardware and software I use, including things I expected to not work.
    It boots super fast compared to Windows 7. I'd say it's around 10 seconds or so from post to typing in my password, then another 1-2 seconds and the desktop is up.  Windows 7 would take a minute or so.

I am using the Pro version so updates are not forced (the Home version doesn't let you turn them off completely).  I did turn off a couple convenience features that share a bit too much data (like the wifi auto share/connect thing).  I love how it natively supports multiple desktops and has even better multi-monitor support.
  • I just updated my Windows 7 machine to Windows 10.  So far I have not had any issues with any software or hardware that I use.  Seems like a good compromise from Win 8.1 and 7.  Runs fast on my 3 year old laptop. I'll report back if I have any issues.  
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I've update three computers now to Windows 10 Home. I have no complains so far. Everything went well and everything run okay.
    Bean
  • I would say yay. I just got through upgrading my win 8.1 Pro box to Win 10 Pro, and everything went as expected. So far I am liking what I see, I have the option to fall back to 8.1, within a thirty day time frame, so I like that aspect.
    I also noticed in the app section it looks like I can start up OneNote, but I am not sure that it would anything useful on a desktop setting. I did start up SimpleIDE, so that seems to like the Win 10 Pro.
    Ray
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2015-08-03 02:03
    I installed Windows 10 and found the install to be slow. It took about 6 hours to get to the first login. Then during the initial install I got the "It's taking longer than expected..." message and when I checked 8 1/2 hours later it still was there. Turning the computer off and restarting made it work. My problems were probably due to the software I have.

I do not like that once you set up Microsoft account you see your email address on the login and welcome screen as well as the startup menu. In a public setting you definitely do not want your email displayed. I did set up for Local login to replace this with a name but it then asked for info for my Microsoft account and reverted the login back to displaying my email account.

I use Core Temp to monitor the laptop and when it started on my I5 laptop it pushed the CPU usage to 100% slowing down the CPU to a crawl for 8 minutes! I replaced Core Temp with Real Temp and had no problems.

My evaluation of Windows 10 is that I give it a 7 out of 10. I would give it a 9 out of 10 if it wasn't for displaying your email address. You may find some issues with some programs but most of them run well. I plan on keeping Windows 10.
    Interesting, the two threads (this vs hate) are neck & neck with views & posts.
    Now if you decide to revert to Win7 or 8 within that month, can you reinstall Win10 later (within that first year)?
    @Ron Czapala: If you felt a disturbance in the Force today, I smoked past the Louisville exit on the I-75 this afternoon. I probably got as close to you as I got to Rick (in Medina) when I was visiting in-laws in Cincy last week.
  • The default settings in the Windows 10 upgrade open up a small floodgate of data flowing to Microsoft. There are a number of "features" that can be disabled to slow this down. Just for fun, try to find the Windows Update in the Control Panel.
  • Got two machines updated to Win10, with no issues so far. Solidworks even seems to be a little peppier on a 4GB RAM tablet.
  • Jim Ewald wrote: »
    The default settings in the Windows 10 upgrade open up a small floodgate of data flowing to Microsoft. There are a number of "features" that can be disabled to slow this down. Just for fun, try to find the Windows Update in the Control Panel.

You are far too nice. Windows 10 is basically malicious, predatory spyware thinly disguised as an operating system.

• RDL2004,
    That belongs in the other thread.

ecro,
    It's pretty trivial to turn off or adjust the privacy stuff.
  • I did not notice the privacy thingy in the settings, so I just went through and turned everything off. Now, I will have to remember when something is not working correctly, I will have to check the privacy thingy.

This is starting to remind me of Linux, Oh you want to use the network, go to the firewall manager and turn on the needed things, we will let you figure out what the needed things are. Oh you want to use a printer, go find the necessary drivers, and you might have to visit the firewall manager. Oh ...

So far so good, it looks like you have a lot of control over your desktop with Windows 10, just have to put in the effort to accomplish it.

Ray
  • Just turning off everything Microsoft has told you about doesn't mean you have everything turned off.
    edited 2015-08-05 01:37
    Ray,
    This is starting to remind me of Linux, ...
    No it is not.

Linux is not an operating system, it is a kernel that one can build an OS on top of.

So which operating system are you actually being reminded of here?

Since 1997 or so I have used many an OS based on Linux: Redhat, Debian, Mandriva, heck I have even built my own from scratch. Never have I had to mess with firewalls or any "Firewall Manager" to get networking up. Why would I? My OS and the programs on it don't listen to any network input unless I ask them to.

Unless of course I actually wanted to set up a firewall for some reason. Usually to protect a LAN full of Windows machines :)

Let's talk about printers.

In our office we have a Canon office printer/copier/scanner monstrosity. It took me an entire working day to get that thing to print anything from my Debian machine. What a pain.

However that was good. My colleague, much younger and smarter than me, spent an entire day trying to get that thing to print anything from his Windows machine. Despite the fact that all the Canon doumentation and drivers are Windows oriented he gave up!

Easier for him to print via the CUPS printer server on my machine.

Neither of us has figured out how to get the thing to scan from either OS!

Note to everyone: Never by a Canon printer/scanner/copier monstrosity.

Last I checked there was no Linux based OS that was trojan that one invited into ones house. Well, apart from Android that is. But that is another story...
  • Just an update to my previous post, which do I like better, my Windows 10 box, multiple YAY, or my Linux contraption, multiple NAY. Besides, this thread is not about Linux, I made a big mistake by even using the word Linux in my other post.

Ray
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2015-08-05 00:01
    Would love to hear some feedback from the early adopters. Any software issues or failed hardware compatibility?
    Haters: there's a different thread nearby for you to vent in. Please comment here only if you are using Windows 10.

Eeek, there is a bit of overflow above from the other thread, so I have just bumped the other thread with a link to the amusing altered subtitle scene from Der Untergang.

Meanwhile, here in the sunny world of windows 10 *grin*, one thing that is a great improvement is there is much less of the Metro stuff compared with Win8. Also, bootup times are a lot faster compared to Win8, and even Win7. For the last few versions of windows I've used hibernate a lot to cut down the bootup time, but for Win10, bootup is fast enough that can just do a standard boot.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2015-08-05 02:32
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    Also, bootup times are a lot faster compared to Win8, and even Win7. For the last few versions of windows I've used hibernate a lot to cut down the bootup time, but for Win10, bootup is fast enough that can just do a standard boot.

Isn't Windows 8 (and I assume 10 as well) "shutdown" just hibernation?
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Ray,
    This is starting to remind me of Linux, ...
    Xeon X5675
    No it is not.

Linux is not an operating system, it is a kernel that one can build an OS on top of.

NACK- As I posted in the other thread, Linux had this before Windows, with the spying for Amazon.
    Thats another thing Heater can boast about Linux having before Windows :)

And, in the real world Linux IS an Operating System. Linux is the general term everyone, even Linux fanboys use when asked what OS do they run. We all know its the kernel, but its also the shorthand for... Linux.

On the other hand, I've had no issues with Mint getting my wifi up and running without incident. Haven't tried to print yet, will do so tomorrow. And this is from a LiveUSB too.

Some print drivers, especially for plotter-sized types can be a pain no matter what OS.
    I'm not sure that example showed anything except that Canon bite for drivers, and your coworker may not be as adept as he says he is. I'd call that a draw, not a win for Linux.

I think once more and more people realize some of the privacy and sharing mistakes MS has forced into W10, and the soon to come security horror stories we'll all be reading about, they will have to back down and remove or make disabling clear and effortless.
    Win7 still rocks my world with an SSD, so aside form DX12 and possible gaming time in the future, I can wait.
  • As I posted in the other thread, as it concerns me, everything is looking and working good with Windows 10. Not sure what the problem is with the detractors, they are not even using Windows 10. But I guess they have there own agenda that they are messaging and pursuing.

Ray
This discussion has been closed.