Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Forum Issue - No decent search? — Parallax Forums

New Forum Issue - No decent search?

roglohrogloh Posts: 5,193
edited 2015-07-05 08:15 in General Discussion
Is there no way to do any advanced search now?  I am doing searches trying to find older posts and they are returning useless results from all over the place in the forums.  No help on how to use the search bar anywhere in order to limit what is returned?

To be blunt and probably stating the most definite obvious this new forum change is really starting to suck a lot.  I hardly want to use it now unfortunately and I had new P1V things to show too.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-05 10:42
    There has always been Google as an alternative in times of frustration.  Just include "Parallax" in your key words.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Just use Google site search like so "site:forums.parallax.com interesting thing"
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,193
    edited 2015-07-05 12:00
    Yeah thanks, that helps.  That way to search is working better and giving me some semi-reasonable results to trawl through.  Still a pity we have to use external tools now.  Like a lot of us it seems, I'm still rather upset about this new look and feel. 

While I'm whining here's another pet peeve of mine.  For some reason it takes my brain just a little while extra to decipher reading numbers like "18.4K views".  I'd prefer to see a real number shown like 18,400.  I know it's a bit of a trend now to display numbers in web pages like this, but to me it just kind of sucks.  For really massive numbers it makes some sense but less so for numbers in the thousands, unless pixel space is at an absolute premium.  However in this case you could easily fit the true number in below the post title so there is really no reason to display it like this.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-05 14:32
    Everyone always has turned to Google when the internal search didn't achieve good results.  This isn't something that the changeover forced us to do.

I have no trouble with 18.4K versus 18,400 -- but the numbers running together just indicates that someone is sloppy.
  • I have no trouble iwth 18.4K versus 18,400 -- but the numbers running together just indicates that someone is sloppy.

That should read "with 18.4K".
  • indeed...  no one likes sloppy.  But it is too late now.
  • True, but that is not why it was corrected.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    RDL2004,
    I appreciated the joke. Loopy is not so good at detecting these subtleties. 
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-07-05 16:13
    @Rogloh, were you able to use the advanced search in the old forum successfully? I never had much luck using advanced search. I just used "Rich's Google Search" or manually added the site myself.
    I agree that Google has limited utility. The difficulty I had finding older posts was the main reason I started listing the posts I wanted to revisit in my index. 
  • Just in case you haven't tried, try using quotes around what you're searching for.  There was a big difference between when I just type laser range finder vs "laser range finder".  Good luck!
  • I liked the option before of being able to search by username. I often used that when I could remember who posted about a specific project or subject but I could not find the post.
  • @Duane Degn
    Yeah I didn't search often but I vaguely recall being able to limit search results from individual forums/posters and/or date ranges which is very useful to find what you are looking for.  This new search has nothing like that at all and when searching I found it extremely limited in helping you locate what you are after.
  • This is not a bug, this is a feature.
    Social media forums do not have much use for Search, everything is topical and looking back isn't worth the time/effort.

• This is not a bug, this is a feature.
    Social media forums do not have much use for Search, everything is topical and looking back isn't worth the time/effort.

LOL.  Yeah, I think the only important thing for social media forums and other nonsense is to know what is "trending" so it gives regular media something to report about.  My god I do hate that word.
    :swear:
  • the only important thing for social media forums and other nonsense is to know what is "trending" so it gives regular media something to report about.

What's harder to believe is people get fired over what is trending. I miss the times when people were allowed to occasionally say something dumb without it provoking a witch Hunt.
  • Search is an included topic in the issues list.

When the listed issue is addressed, our IT guys will consider any other search optimization that needs to be included.