Why Are Too Few Females in Robotics? Could It Be the Robots?

123457»

Comments

• What? Boys sewing? Shocking I tell you.

As the late great Fred Dibnah said:

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

OK, I have to come out on that one. When I was 11 years old I could knit. We knitted our own custom woolly bobble hats to wear on fishing trips. It's something I kept quite about for decades. Then recently I learned that young snowboarding dudes also knit their own woolly hats.

erco,
    ...what if I'm a hardware guy, trapped in a software guy's body?
    Easy, just write HDL for FPGAs and ASICs :)
  • erco wrote: »
    I couldn't afford most of their stuff, but a company named Frostline Kits sold affordable DIY gear. I sewed lots of kits making booties, gaiters, jacket and even a tent! I still have the 60/40 jacket I sewed over 40 years ago, works great.

That's really cool! Thanks for the link - great stuff - I wish some of the kit stuff would come back. I know there are still some great kits out there for all sorts of stuff. It is great idea.

Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Yep!
    1500 x 1403 - 185K
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• Yep!

Priceless! :)
    Infernal Machine
  • This one is almost as cute as Erco's girls!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• Almost. ;)
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Whit wrote: »
    erco wrote: »
    I couldn't afford most of their stuff, but a company named Frostline Kits sold affordable DIY gear. I sewed lots of kits making booties, gaiters, jacket and even a tent! I still have the 60/40 jacket I sewed over 40 years ago, works great.

That's really cool! Thanks for the link - great stuff - I wish some of the kit stuff would come back. I know there are still some great kits out there for all sorts of stuff. It is great idea.

I had to get this vintage gaiter kit. Almost as rare as an unbuilt Heathkit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frostline-Gaiters-Kit-111-Unisex-/253075493560

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso