Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$9 Chip Computer: the Next RasPi? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

$9 Chip Computer: the Next RasPi?

13»

Comments

• sphinx has a working editor as command.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Seems these C.H.I.P SBC's are shipping now.. still $9.
    ( case $2, HDMI + $15, or VGA +$10

I see the PiZero is now up to V1.3, with Camera port
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    I got an email yesterday to say that mine is on its way.
  • I got my PocketChip today along with a VGA and HDMI DIP module for the two CHIP computers I got a while back. The VGA DIP seems to work fine but the HDMI DIP shuts down during boot. Apparently, it tries to draw too much current from the USB power adapter. There is a fix for that but it involves turning off the current limit which makes the module dangerous to plug into a laptop. I think I'll stay away from that for the time being. I'll unbox the PocketChip tonight. It looks pretty cool in the pictures though!
  • Ugh. Never mind. The VGA DIP also powers down. I just tried to install some updates and the screen went blank. I guess both require the power hack.
  • I haven't tried the VGA or HDMI adapters yet.

The Pocket CHIP is fun to play with except my old eyes have trouble with the tiny screen. A stylus is handy for the touch screen. I haven't tried anything productive like OpenSpin and a Propeller.
  • mindrobots wrote: »
    I haven't tried the VGA or HDMI adapters yet.

The Pocket CHIP is fun to play with except my old eyes have trouble with the tiny screen. A stylus is handy for the touch screen. I haven't tried anything productive like OpenSpin and a Propeller.
    OpenSpin would be cool! Imagine using a $49 pocket computer to program the Propeller. Does the CHIP use an ARM processor?

• It's an Allwinner R8 1xCortex A8 ARM v7 according to the docs. 1 core and 512MB seems so limited now days!
  • Okay, I played with Pocket CHIP for a few minutes and I already know it would be painful to use it to program the Propeller. Also, it doesn't have GCC installed so there is no way to build OpenSpin without installing the dev tools first.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2016-07-02 02:40
    I got OpenSpin compiled by doing:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc g++ make git
    git clone https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin.git
    git clone https://github.com/dbetz/p1load.git
    cd OpenSpin
    make
    cd ../p1load
    make

Both built without any trouble except that p1load put its binary in bin/macosx/p1load for some reason but the generated executable seems to work. I was able to enter a simple Spin program and compile it but I'm not sure how to install the FTDI drivers so I can download. I've never had to do that under Linux but I guess they don't come installed on this stripped down installation. Any idea how to install the LInux FTDI drivers?

Edit: Turns out I was wrong. The FTDI drivers are installed. My Propeller board was on /dev/ttyUSB0 as expected under Linux. The probem is that p1load thinks it's running on a Mac so it doesn't use the right naming convention for the ports. If I use the following command I can successfully load my program:
    p1load -p /dev/ttyUSB0 blink.binary

So I now have a working Propeller development environment on my $49 Pocket CHIP! :-)
  • Cool! I'll have to try...just because I can.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2016-07-02 10:29
    David Betz wrote: »
    Edit: Turns out I was wrong. The FTDI drivers are installed. My Propeller board was on /dev/ttyUSB0 as expected under Linux.
    The Makefile sets "OS?=macosx", use "make OS=linux" to override that...
  • yeti wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Edit: Turns out I was wrong. The FTDI drivers are installed. My Propeller board was on /dev/ttyUSB0 as expected under Linux.
    The Makefile sets "OS?=macosx", use "make OS=linux" to override that...
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I should modify it to automatically choose the OS. Thanks.