Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open propeller EggBot — Parallax Forums

Open propeller EggBot

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2015-04-08 06:27 in Propeller 1
Hello everybody,

Easter comes, and what could be better than an EggBot?

The answer is: a Propeller EggBot!

I have already make a very cool design for Eggbot using OpenBuilds parts, 8 3d printed parts from my 3d printer, and the original EggBot's electronics.
I could say that the robot is perfect! However my ambition is to replace the original EBB Driver Board with the Parallax Quickstart board in order to make much more powerful that mini CNC machine.
I have in mind this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=113708&d=1427754863

So, can anyone contribute in this effort?

I ask help in order to drive 2 NEMA 17" bipolar stepper motor with Propeller and also comunication with Inkscape software.

Yes or not you can use my design in conjunction with the original EggBot electronics for a cheaper and very professional EggBot.
You can see the project on OpenBuilds and on Thingiverse

Fell free to ask any detail.

Nikos Giannakopoulos
908 x 686 - 146K

Comments

• StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2015-03-31 00:53
    Hi Nikos,

very nice design of an EggBot!

I build one with a very simple frame out of wood. Yours looks much more professional.

Your Eggbot is drawing really quick.
    How did you manage to eleminate play in the pen's arm? There is quite some inertia in the arm which causes my arm to oscillate at high speeds.

here's a link to somebody who ported it to arduino
    https://github.com/cocktailyogi/EggDuino

here's the documentation of the protocol
    http://www.schmalzhaus.com/EBB/EBBCommands.html

I guess for this year easter you would have to work 10-12 hours each day to finish right in time.
    So my suggestion for this easter is to enjoy your hardware with the original EiBotBoard
    and start working on a propeller-chipversion.
    For driving the steppermotors you could use
    A pololu 4988 driver. I haven't checked if 3.3V from the propeller-chip is enough to drive step/dir-inputs of this pololu-board
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPololu+A4988+.TRS0&_nkw=Pololu+A4988+&_sacat=0

best regards

Stefan
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,337
    edited 2015-03-31 01:35
    Hi Nikos !

Another idea for next Easter.... the new Parallax 10A Dual Motor Controller, announced by Ken at these links....

https://twitter.com/ParallaxKen/status/571361676034879489

https://twitter.com/ParallaxKen/status/573252498070241281

This is a dual motor controller, with onboard Propeller! The firmware code will be opensource, so you could extend that code to power your EggBot directly!
    The board size is 77x65mm, so not much bigger than the QS you are using now.

(Of course, you could also use the QS to control the new motor controller with simple serial commands- that will be the default configuration I suspect - or even PWM)

Watch the forums for an announcement date- I know Ken is pushing to get this squeezed into the production plans ASAP, and pushing us to get the driver code and docs ready for launch too :)

Could be another possible solution for you.

Michael.

ps. LOVE the design of your EggBot. Really really nice.
    edited 2015-03-31 05:25
    Hi Michael,

does the H-Bridge on the motorcontroller support microstepping?
    The motors on the robot-platform on the twitter-pictures look like DC-motors. So I guess not.
    16V for steppermotors would be a bit low. (High Ampere stepperdrivers with 5-10A go up to 80-160V)

best regards

Stefan
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,337
    edited 2015-04-01 01:51
    StefanL38 wrote: »
    Hi Michael,

does the H-Bridge on the motorcontroller support microstepping?
    The motors on the robot-platform on the twitter-pictures look like DC-motors. So I guess not.
    16V for steppermotors would be a bit low. (High Ampere stepperdrivers with 5-10A go up to 80-160V)

best regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The H-bridge is an A4940 from Allegro. The datasheet does not mention microstepping, nor will that be supported out-of-the-box by the supplied propeller code.

That said... this is an opensource effort, so the propeller code will be published and can be modified / extended as you experiment. As this is a dual channel board, perhaps you could drive one stepper motor. Would be an interesting thing to see if you can get something going.

Incidently, the VIN max is 24V as I recall. And the design will likely keep going (for careful hackers with usual care, precautions and no guarantees!) around 35V. The H-bridge controller could go higher, but I suspect the propeller LDO will start to creak under the strain much over 35V :) Watch the temperature, and keep the motor current low !!!

This will all be specified properly before product launch of course.... keep your eyes on the forum from time-to-time for an announcement!

I guess your subscribed to this thread... so I will post a link to this thread too when something more official happens!

All the best, Michael.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2015-04-01 16:53
    Sory for the delay response ,

I had to make some changes on the project's name on thingiverse and openbuilds sites.
    The name Eggbot is NOT allowed because is a trademark! So I ghanged the project's name to "Egg- painter robot"

Your Eggbot is drawing really quick.

the real speed of the robot is the first 14 sec of the video.....
    Then I increased the of the viveo's speed in order to save time.....

How did you manage to eleminate play in the pen's arm? There is quite some inertia in the arm which causes my arm to oscillate at high speeds.

I hope the next image can help...

attachment.php?attachmentid=113741&d=1427932317
    800 x 600 - 124K
    edited 2015-04-01 17:02
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Hi Nikos !

Another idea for next Easter.... the new Parallax 10A Dual Motor Controller, announced by Ken at these links....

https://twitter.com/ParallaxKen/status/571361676034879489

https://twitter.com/ParallaxKen/status/573252498070241281

This is a dual motor controller, with onboard Propeller! The firmware code will be opensource, so you could extend that code to power your EggBot directly!
    The board size is 77x65mm, so not much bigger than the QS you are using now.

This is realy cool!!!
    I'll stay tuned ....
    I also love the QuickStart option due to the on-board keyboard. I intent to make a full autonomous robot with SD-cart, able to print without computer connection ........
    Maybe I'm too ambitious ......
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-04-01 18:43
    Nicely done, Nikos! I was wondering how you accommodated different-shaped eggs. The HINGE and GRAVITY!

-Phil
    edited 2015-04-02 06:15
    EggBot-Hinge.jpg
    I was wondering how you accommodated different-shaped eggs. The HINGE and GRAVITY!

yeah that's one of the amazing details about the eggb....
    1024 x 799 - 33K
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,155
    edited 2015-04-02 08:29
    Very cool robot. I bet kids would get a kick out of seeing it in action. Just in time for Easter too.
    edited 2015-04-02 14:46
    I was wondering how you accommodated different-shaped eggs.

-Phil

Hi Phil,

From my experience in order to paint successfully different-shaped eggs, I must have the pen motor to the right position.
    On the EggBot Pro you adjust the different=shaped eggs (From ellipsoid to round eggs) moving up or down the pen-motor.
    Using the OpenBuilds parts acording to my design, we can achieve exactly the same functionality with the original EggbotPro.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113750&d=1428011076
    egg_bot_function.jpg
    867 x 1294 - 297K
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2015-04-02 14:53
    How do you get the different colors?
    edited 2015-04-02 14:55
    .....If you apply a force in direction of the length-axle of the egg
    (= in direction parallel to the egg-turning axle) do you observe some play?

No everything is ok! I have no play! The hinge that I use I think is a perfect solution! I think that it is by far better than the system that has the wooden arm of the original Eggbot ....
    edited 2015-04-02 15:01
    Don M wrote: »
    How do you get the different colors?
    Some Egg-patterns have multiply layers that you can choose to print separately with the Inkscape software.
    If you print the one layer you can change the marker (other color) and you can continue with the next layer. Is very simple
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2015-04-07 08:47
    Wow.......real neat!
  • FireVoltFireVolt Posts: 8
    edited 2015-04-08 06:27
    This is Eggselent! : D

Seriously. Extremely cool! Plus it makes such interesting noises! I wonder if one reverse extrapolated the motor frequencies (audible sounds) generated by specific geometries to a MIDI controller, and played music, what you would get encoded on the surface? Or, conversely?