Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BeScopeBundle System Files - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

BeScopeBundle System Files

2»

Comments

• thoththoth Posts: 75
    edited 2014-08-28 08:53
    Publison wrote: »
    Did you mean setting the jumper to 3.3V? I only see settings for 2.5 and 3.3.

BTW..Again.. many thanks for putting this together. It's much appreciated. I would not have know where to start.

Jim

Thanks. I'll fix it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-28 12:06
    Four hours and I finally got it to work.

I had many downloads from Arrow and the forums so I started from scratch. Uninstalled Version 14, and re installed. Deleted all downloads and started from scratch.

I had problems with the USB-Blaster also as many did on this thread and others. I had to drill down the the device driver and refresh it from the drivers folder with the unit NOT plugged in.

Why is it not mentioned a Arrow that the jumper has to in in the 1-3 position? (See PDF attachment) The Board programmed once in the default position, but hung afterwards. Changing the jumper allowed programming.

Boy! Does this thing run Hot!
    edited 2014-08-28 14:23
    Publison wrote: »
    Four hours and I finally got it to work.

Why is it not mentioned a Arrow that the jumper has to in in the 1-3 position? (See PDF attachment) The Board programmed once in the default position, but hung afterwards. Changing the jumper allowed programming.

Note that the first entry in the this thread was modified to mention the need to change the jumper positions. Unfortunately edits don't show up as new comments so unless you know to look you'll miss the many edits I have made to the first comment since that's what new readers see first.

If I were Analog Devices or any of their other "preferred partners" I'd be pretty upset about having my products associated with their inability to handle the simplest distribution imaginable.
  • rrichrrich Posts: 2
    edited 2014-09-12 12:00
    thoth wrote: »
    Note that the first entry in the this thread was modified to mention the need to change the jumper positions. Unfortunately edits don't show up as new comments so unless you know to look you'll miss the many edits I have made to the first comment since that's what new readers see first.

If I were Analog Devices or any of their other "preferred partners" I'd be pretty upset about having my products associated with their inability to handle the simplest distribution imaginable.

I'm a complete n00b to everything involved with this hardware...first oscilloscope, first FPGA dev board, etc. I don't even want to think how much time this thread has saved me, thank you thoth and everyone else that has contributed.

FWIW, the Arrow distribution .zip file no longer contains BeServer.tcl. I'm not sure what they are planning to do, hopefully they fix it before long as their quickstart references it.

Also, quick question, would it be possible for me to buffer a few hundred thousand samples somewhere and export them to a file? I'd be happy to just set a trigger and then record the next N samples after it fires, no gui necessary.
    edited 2014-09-12 13:11
    Welcome to the Forums rrich!

The support for this product has been, how you say, less than stellar. I have been going through everything just to get it started again. I'm trying to create the .bat file Arrow never published

Do you need the BeServer.tcl file ?. I can send the latest I have.
    edited 2014-09-12 13:21
    It's NEVER contained the BeServer.tcl file! I had to scrounge that up from the engineers who hacked this thing together. Note also that the .jic file provided is broken. You'll have to build from sources to have a working scope.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-09-13 13:43
    Thank you for scrounging it up.

I've received my BESCOPECV bundle. now I just need to find time to compile/load it up.
    edited 2014-09-14 07:52
    If you just want to see it run you can download my .jic file linked in the first post of this thread. Load it up with Q13 or Q14 and start up the TCL console. Run the python app and you should be up and running. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
    edited 2014-09-14 12:41
    Thanks, will try it.

I got it to get a cheap scope for my living room pc and fpga all-in-one :)
    If you just want to see it run you can download my .jic file linked in the first post of this thread. Load it up with Q13 or Q14 and start up the TCL console. Run the python app and you should be up and running. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
    edited 2014-09-14 15:56
    Thanks, will try it.

I got it to get a cheap scope for my living room pc and fpga all-in-one :)

And, in the winter, you can use it for a heater as well!
    edited 2014-09-14 16:03

LOL

I'll attest to that!
  • miguelvpmiguelvp Posts: 1
    edited 2014-09-15 23:19
    I just registered to thank thoth for his hard work.

One thing I did noticed is that if powering the BeMicro via USB from my PC everything seemed ok other that I didn't get the test signal going and the scope wouldn't show a thing. And yes I did have the power jumper set for 3.3V.

I did power the ADC board using the micro USB and then connected the BeMicro USB and everything worked fine.

I'm also attaching measurements from my Rigol DS2202 looking at the signal produced by the BeScope.

BeScope2_5MHz.jpg
    BeScope5_0MHz.jpg
    DS2_QuickPrint17.png
    DS2_QuickPrint18.png

I did compile my own JIC from the quartus archive but without the BeServer.tcl it would have been hopeless.

I got my kit today and I used a BeMicro that I already had, I left the other one untouched still in it's box.
    Also I'm so happy with the SDP Interposer connecter, I've contemplated many times buying one but at $50 just for a connector I never did, now with that I gotta decide what Analog Devices dev kit I want to get first, maybe one of the DDS boards or a good DAC board.

Again, thanks much thoth.

Edit: I forgot to mention FWIW, I did test all the N/C (not connected) pins on the BeScope ADC board and they are not grounded, they are not connected. So those signals should be available to say drive a display with the 4 LVDS that are free, too bad one is not an LVDS clock :(
    1024 x 486 - 79K
    1024 x 486 - 82K
    800 x 480 - 33K
    800 x 480 - 35K
    edited 2014-09-17 09:17
    LOL!

I can explain to wifey "but it wil reduce our heating bill!"
  • M0PUBM0PUB Posts: 1
    edited 2014-10-25 17:08
    Many thanks to Thoth for his persistence on the BeScope challenge, and also to Antoine for the valuable clue regarding the voltage selection jumper. I would never have got my BeScope running without them, and I must say that I now consider it to be a very handy gadget for the price.

My laptop struggles with the Python app supplied by Arrow, so I've started to write my own 'scope application in C#. The biggest thing which I'm missing is the ability to reduce the sampling rate. A fixed sampling rate of 250MHz, combined with only 4096 samples in each packet, means that the BeScope is useless for low frequency work. I know it's just a technology demonstrator, and has many limitations, but I find it useful .... and it could be much more useful if I could only divide down the ADC clock under s/w control.

So, at last, here's my question: is anyone looking at enhancing the BeScope HDL, or do I have to get up the learning curve on the Altera tools? (My limited FPGA experience is all on Xilinx so far.)

Thanks again, and best wishes,
    Alan
  • rrichrrich Posts: 2
    edited 2014-11-06 12:04
    EDIT: Nevermind, followed miguelvp's suggestion above (power both boards) and we're running. Thanks!

Is there any way to test the scope board? I can program it all day and connect to the scope server, but i no longer get any signal from either channel. No noise, no signal from the frequency generator, just flat lines.

It's been stowed since my last successful run, not sure what to think.

Thanks!
  • thanks thouth for sharing your effort in getting BeScope kit working.

Can you also share what did you fix in the design to make it work and/or share the archive of your working project.

Thanks,
    Arshad
  • rrich wrote: »
    EDIT: Nevermind, followed miguelvp's suggestion above (power both boards) and we're running. Thanks!

Is there any way to test the scope board? I can program it all day and connect to the scope server, but i no longer get any signal from either channel. No noise, no signal from the frequency generator, just flat lines.

It's been stowed since my last successful run, not sure what to think.

Thanks!
    \

I would start by testing the BeMicroCV without the BeScope connected.

jac_goudsmit's thread for the BeMicroCVA9 will direct you to a repository that also has a good Propeller 1v Verilog for the BeMicroCV (and a lot of other boards that support the Propeller 1v).

Also, in Quartus II, the USB-Blaster/jtag Tool can do some basic diagnostics on the BeMicroCV or any other supported board.

• I just foolishly bought the BeScope board without doing an Internet search first. The Arrow software installation package
    is no longer available from Arrow's site & Arrow has ignored my emails so far.

Could any of you who has the software installation package please post it ? Thanks in advance.

fn
  • I take it all back. Arrow has responded & provided the software package. Now to see if I can get
    it working & up the sample rate to 500Ms/s. Should yield a bandwidth of 250 Mhz. Pretty damn
    good for $50.
  • Welcome to the Forums!

Great news. Please report back with some results. There where mixed results when it first came out.

If you could share the latest Arrow files, that would be great!

• Is there a file size limitation ? I just tried to upload the zip file & it looks like it failed. The file is 25MB in size.
    The files is dated 8-7-14 so I don't think there has been any updates. It is also available on Arrow's web site
    although I had trouble downloading it. They claimed it worked fine for them.

Anyway, I suspect Arrow's example will be a good starting point but will require extensive rework to get it
    working to the full capability of the ADC. Those ADCs are getting damn fast.