It's my pleasure to introduce to you the Parallax ELEV-8 v2 Quadcopter Kit (#80200)! Pre-order yours today; products expected to begin shipping Thursday, 7 August 2014!
ELEV-8 your skills with this extremely durable and stylish multirotor; great for first-time flyers and experienced aviators alike. You'll be guided through every step of the assembly process with our exceptional online documentation and support. Easy to repair and open source, the versatile ELEV-8 has endless potential applications: from recreational flying, to unparalleled, hands-on UAV education, to professional aerial photography or video.
The ELEV-8 Quadcopter is lifted and propelled by four rotors (vertically-oriented propellers). Electronic Speed Controllers power each motor/rotor independently, so that by altering the relative rotational rates of these rotors, the ELEV-8 is able to move in any direction. A HoverflyOPEN Flight Controller powered by a Parallax Propeller 1 multicore microcontroller uses the same HoverCore Technology found in professional cinematic multirotors to provide reliable stabilization; creating a small, maneuverable, and agile aircraft.
I've spent most of my summer writing an unmatched Online Assembly Guide has been created exclusively for this product; broken down into nine sections with a total of thirty-nine easy-to-follow steps full of images, drawings, and videos. Of course, if any questions remain after looking through the troubleshooting, our customer support is standing by five days a week to help.
Comparison to Version 1: (Adapted from posts by tranger)
Key Feature & Benefits:
- Upgraded KA20-20L 1050 Kv Brushless Outrunner Motors - more powerful and smoother operation, wiht bolt-on propeller adapters
- Saddle Washers - better secure Blue Aluminum Booms to the Chassis, much more rigid than the frame
- Aluminum (threaded) Standoffs, 1/8" - Allow you to tighten the Blue Aluminum Booms to the Top Chassis Plate and achieve a tight assembly prior to putting the other plate on, making assembly much easier to handle, and wiring simpler (wires can be run between booms and chassis plates)
- Thru-holes with locknuts for the control board mounting (was tapped holes in the delrin base)
- Aluminum standoffs throughout
- Thru holes on the Landing Gear with locknuts (was tapped holes)
- Pre-made Power Breakout Cable - has 6 outputs (two extra for expansion and accessories)
- Styling - Parallax blue, black, and silver color coordination. Chassis plates have a smooth finish. Blue Flight Controller Cover Plate does not block status LED wavelengths, eliminating need for the light pipe
- No more LEDs - can still add them on, and may be sold as an accessory in the future.
Details and Specifications
- Open underbody and 16 ounce (0.45 kg) payload capacity leaves plenty of room for upgrades and accessories, such as a small camera and brushless gimbal.
- Robust and modular chassis keeps electronics well-protected yet allows for incredibly fast repairs; so you can be up and flying again just minutes after a crash.
- Open-source design files mean you can manufacture, customize, and upgrade components as you wish.
- Common #4-40 hardware is used throughout, so you can easily pick up extras or replacements at your local hardware store.
- Weve sourced every component for optimum performance; all thats left for you is to pick out an RC transmitter & receiver and Lithium-Polymer battery & charger. See the ELEV-8 v2 Assembly Guide for details and recommendations.
- Propeller Guards are available through downloadable CAD files (via the product page) that you can 3D print. Retail propeller guards are in development.
- Motor axis diameter (excluding propellers): 25.75 inches (654 mm)
- Outer diameter (including propellers) 36 inches (914 mm)
- As-sold weight (excluding battery and RC receiver): 40.7 ounces (1.15 kg)
- Ready-to-fly weight (including 3300 mAh battery and OrangeRX R620 receiver): 50.1 ounces (1.42 kg)
- Recommended maximum takeoff weight (MTOW): 66.1 ounces (1.87 kg)
- Approximate flight duration: 8-10 minutes (3300 mAh Battery) or 11-13 minutes (5000 mAh Battery). Flying at MTOW reduces flight time approximately 25%.
- Composite Propellers; 10 inch diameter, 4.5 pitch
- 30A Pre-programmed Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC) with battery eliminator circuit (BEC)
- Keda KA20-20L 1050 Kv Brushless Outrunner Motors
- Pre-assembled power breakout cable with six 3.5 mm Bullet Connector outputs
- HoverflyOPEN Flight Controller featuring an Invensense ITG-3200 gyroscopic sensor and powered by a Parallax Propeller 1 multicore microprocessor. The OPEN can control up to eight motors and is capable of altitude-hold using an ultrasonic sensor (sold separately). An expansion board with an accelerometer and GPS is in development.
Mechatronics Engineer and ELEV-8 R&D for Parallax Inc.