Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New P2 FPGA Release (link) — Parallax Forums

New P2 FPGA Release (link)

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2014-03-24 19:13 in Propeller 2
For those of you not following the large thread, Chip has released new FPGA code here...
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/125543-Propeller-II-update-BLOG?p=1251927&viewfull=1#post1251927

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-03-20 03:36
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    For those of you not following the large thread, Chip has released new FPGA code here...
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/125543-Propeller-II-update-BLOG?p=1251927&viewfull=1#post1251927

It's only for daredevils, at this point, until the documentation gets updated over the next few days.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-03-20 03:56
    cgracey wrote: »
    It's only for daredevils, at this point, until the documentation gets updated over the next few days.

Thanks Chip! :)
    Playing with the new stuff right now.... looks good! :)

TARG is a TOPONE! :lol:
    edited 2014-03-20 03:58
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Thanks Chip! :)
    Playing with the new stuff right now.... looks good! :)

TARG is a TOPONE! :lol:

TARG instructions redirect the result writing. The names changed, I think, since we last discussed them.
    edited 2014-03-20 05:13
    Hi Chip,
    Is the LIFO stack only 18 bits now?
    			push	##$FFFFFFFF
    			pop	ax

Returns AX = $3FFFF
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-03-20 05:41
    ozpropdev, is that because the #number has to fit into the instruction also?
    edited 2014-03-20 06:04
    Baggers wrote: »
    ozpropdev, is that because the #number has to fit into the instruction also?

Hi Baggers :)
    I get the same result for PUSH myreg instead of PUSH ##value.
    The last FPGA release allowed 32 bit values to be Push'ed onto the LIFO stack.
    ICheers
    Brian

Edit: I'm guessing the change was made so LIFO just holds a 16 bit address and the ZC flags.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-20 16:06
    EDIT: Nevermind, nothing to see here, move along.....problem with the source file versions across multiple PC and a failing memory. Everything works fine.....DON'T PANIC!!!!! :lol:

Anybody finding code that ran under the 2/6/14 emulator doesn't run under the 3/20/14 emulator?

It assembles and loads (no changed mnemonic issues, causing unrecognized instructions) but then goes off into the weeds somewhere.

It's the p2pfth that I modified.

I hadn't thought there were any functional changes in the existing instructions (other than the possible PUSH issue above) with this emulation, just additional instructions.

I don't PUSH/POP, I do use PUSHX/POPX/PUSHY/POPY, SERIN/SEROUT.

I checked Dave Hein's original pfth port to the P2 and it didn't appear to work.

I'll go back and recheck things to make sure it's not stupidity (no guarantees there).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-03-20 16:11
    Chip reminded me in the other thread that COGINIT/COGNEW have changed to COGRUN / COGRUNX... I don't know if that change was already made on the 2/6/14 image.

I am about to flash the 3/20/14 image, as soon as I find my notes on how to do so :)
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Anybody finding code that ran under the 2/6/14 emulator doesn't run under the 3/20/14 emulator?

It assembles and loads (no changed mnemonic issues, causing unrecognized instructions) but then goes off into the weeds somewhere.

It's the p2pfth that I modified.

I hadn't thought there were any functional changes in the existing instructions (other than the possible PUSH issue above) with this emulation, just additional instructions.

I don't PUSH/POP, I do use PUSHX/POPX/PUSHY/POPY, SERIN/SEROUT.

I checked Dave Hein's original pfth port to the P2 and it didn't appear to work.

I'll go back and recheck things to make sure it's not stupidity (no guarantees there).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    edited 2014-03-20 16:29
    Chip reminded me in the other thread that COGINIT/COGNEW have changed to COGRUN / COGRUNX... I don't know if that change was already made on the 2/6/14 image.

I am about to flash the 3/20/14 image, as soon as I find my notes on how to do so :)

Bill, do these help for the DE2? It's a REAL product now!

If it's a DE0, I can write something up for you real quick that should jog your memory.
    edited 2014-03-20 16:35
    There are 2 blocks of instructions in the document startign with TARGOFF and ending with TARGNX, all are opcode 1111111, the first block start with a S Field of 011100x00 and the second set starts with an S Field of 110100x00.

OK, so the first block allows a D or a # value. the second block doesn't.

I need to go dig through the BLOG thread to find the differences.

Dang, this being adventuresome really taxes the memory!!

FOUND IT!! Except it is TARG instead of RESD
    I have a question for you guys.

You know we have this new RESD D/# instruction that lets you redirect the next result to another register.

What about expanding this capability a little (rdr = task's redirection register):
    RESD    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect next write to [rdr]
    RESDP    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect next write to [rdr++]
    RESDN    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect next write to [rdr--]

RESDX    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr]   until RESDOFF
    RESDPX    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr++] until RESDOFF
    RESDNX    D/#    'set rdr to D/#, redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr--] until RESDOFF

RESDOFF D/#    'set rdr to D/#, cancel write redirection

RESD        '         redirect next write to [rdr]
    RESDP        '         redirect next write to [rdr++]
    RESDN        '         redirect next write to [rdr--]

RESDX        '         redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr]   until RESDOFF
    RESDPX        '         redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr++] until RESDOFF
    RESDNX        '         redirect all subsequent writes to [rdr--] until RESDOFF

RESDOFF        '         cancel write redirection

This scheme takes two more state bits and an incrementer/decrementer on the task's redirection register.

EDIT2: A Question for Chip: Why did the second set not get conditional execution bits (cccc)? If you are conditionally executing the initial set rdr and write, might you not want to conditionally execute the subsequent uses rdr and write operations? Just wondering at this point more than anything.
    edited 2014-03-20 16:44
    It's true that the LIFO stacks are only 18 bits wide now, for Z/C/PC storage. This reduced the logic by quite a bit (14 bits * 4 levels * 4 tasks = 224 flops per cog).
    edited 2014-03-20 16:55
    THANK YOU!

(mindrobots & Parallax)

I am printing it right now, along with other goodies from the latest zip. Time for me to flash my DE2-115!!!

I am not likely to get to my nano's for a couple of days... so no burning hurry - however I am sure many would appreciate a 'cheat sheet'

Why would I use nano's when I have a DE2?

For hardware experiments. I'd much rather risk a DE0-Nano, of which I have three, instead of my single DE2-115.
    Bill, do these help for the DE2? It's a REAL product now!

If it's a DE0, I can write something up for you real quick that should jog your memory.
    edited 2014-03-20 16:57
    Definitely worth the change... that's a lot of flops.
    It's true that the LIFO stacks are only 18 bits wide now, for Z/C/PC storage. This reduced the logic by quite a bit (14 bits * 4 levels * 4 tasks = 224 flops per cog).
    edited 2014-03-20 18:54
    Ok, I was able to burn the new fpga image.

Now I just have to convince PNut.exe to find com ports > com9 !

(I remember running into this before as well, but don't remember how to resolve it)
    edited 2014-03-20 19:01
    Ok, I was able to burn the new fpga image.

Now I just have to convince PNut.exe to find com ports > com9 !

(I remember running into this before as well, but don't remember how to resolve it)

Post it if you find a solution. I just deleted all my low number com ports and let the DE0s find ones below 9. Guess I'll have to delete a couple when my DE2 shows up to give it a slot.
    edited 2014-03-20 19:16
    The ROM monitor shows the following
    ' Usage:	cognew($52C, rx_pin << 10 + tx_pin << 2)	'start monitor in new cog

From the Booter I used the following code
    			cognew	monitor_pgm

monitor_pgm		long	91 << 24 + 90 << 16 + ($52c >> 2)

edited 2014-03-20 19:34
    Will do.

For now, I did the same thing - deleted a low number com port.
    Post it if you find a solution. I just deleted all my low number com ports and let the DE0s find ones below 9. Guess I'll have to delete a couple when my DE2 shows up to give it a slot.
    edited 2014-03-20 19:39
    In preparation for resuming P2 development work, I improved my P2 test setup earlier today.

Here is my new setup:

P2TESTRIG-WEB.jpg

(click for big pic)

I took a 8"x12" piece of 1/8" styrene

- drilled four 1/8" holes for the DE2-115
    - drilled two 1/8" holes for two support standoffs for the P2 video emulation board
    - then I added a SchoolBoard ][ to the P2 header (I had to trim longer leads on its bottom)

Now I can play in style :-)
    1000 x 750 - 230K
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-03-20 19:56
    In the monitor document in my blog, there are instructions to set the COM port in Device Manager. I'll update that document to reflect changes, but that info is good.

Short story, go into Device Manager, connect your Prop Plug, refresh, and the new device that shows up is the one you want. Pick the properties and set the port.
    edited 2014-03-21 05:02
    Hi All,
    Here's some notes on changes I have found in the pin transfer function.
    The PTRY initial value is now included in the instruction.
    ..old release used
    			setptry	#$20	
    			setxfr	#%1_110_111
    ..is now
    			setxfr	#%1_110_111,#$20

A side effect of the change is when the SETXFR #0,#0 instruction is executed to stop the pin transfer the current PTRY value is lost.
    Even issuing a GETPTRY before the SETXFR #0,#0 returns a zero value.
    The previous F{GA release (6 Feb 2014) used to leave PTRY intact.
    This was useful in determining the sample length by PTRY's current value.
    Just FYI :)
    edited 2014-03-21 06:10
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Here's some notes on changes I have found in the pin transfer function.
    The PTRY initial value is now included in the instruction.
    ..old release used
    			setptry	#$20	
    			setxfr	#%1_110_111
    ..is now
    			setxfr	#%1_110_111,#$20

A side effect of the change is when the SETXFR #0,#0 instruction is executed to stop the pin transfer the current PTRY value is lost.
    Even issuing a GETPTRY before the SETXFR #0,#0 returns a zero value.
    The previous F{GA release (6 Feb 2014) used to leave PTRY intact.
    This was useful in determining the sample length by PTRY's current value.
    Just FYI :)

It doesn't use PTRY, anymore. It maintains its own 8-bit counter which gets initialized on every SETXFR.
    edited 2014-03-21 06:23
    It doesn't use PTRY, anymore. It maintains its own 8-bit counter which gets initialized on every SETXFR.
    Thanks Chip. :) That makes sense now.
    edited 2014-03-21 14:19
    I was trying to build ozpropdev's test tool and PNUT told me there was no longer an ENCOD instruction! Its not in the latest instruction list and I haven't found its replacement in the blog thread. Anybody know what it became?

Brian, do you have an update for your tool you'd like to share? Please??

Thanks, all!
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-03-21 14:40
    I was trying to build ozpropdev's test tool and PNUT told me there was no longer an ENCOD instruction! Its not in the latest instruction list and I haven't found its replacement in the blog thread. Anybody know what it became?

Thanks, all!

It looks like it is BLSIZE now. At least BLSIZE has the same opcode that was ENCOD.

C.W.
    edited 2014-03-21 15:56
    I've run into a funny issue while trying hubexec.
    CON

_rx	= 91
    		_tx	= 90

DAT		

org

clkset	#$FF		'set 80MHz
    		setsera	ser_parms, bit_time
    		clrp	#_tx		' Enable _tx pin

jmp	#hubexec

ser_parms	long	%10 << 16 + _rx << 9 + %10 << 7 + _tx
    bit_time	long	80_000_000 / 115200

ch		long	0

padding		long	0[200]

'----------------------------------------------------------------

orgh

hubexec		locptra #hello_world	' tried both # and @ prefixes, no prefix hangs

'boo		serouta #64
    '		jmp	#boo

loop		rdbyte	ch, ptra++ wz
    	if_nz	serouta	ch
    	if_nz	jmp	#loop

jmp	#hubexec

hello_world	byte	"Hello World!",13,10,0

It prints garbage instead of "Hello World!"

The commented out "boo" loop works fine.
    edited 2014-03-21 16:02

Thanks, all!

Hi Rick
    The ENCOD instruction has been replaced with a new variant called TOPONE. See here
    Because the LIFO is only 18 bits now I had to make a few changes.
    I will post an updated version of Toolbox later today.

Cheers
    Brian
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-03-21 16:02
    Bill, I think you need to use ##@ instead of just # in "locptra #hello_world".
    edited 2014-03-21 16:09
    Thanks David, tried it, does not even compile - which makes sense, ## is used for AUGS/AUGD, and LOCPTR has an embedded 16 bit constant like JMPx/CALLx.

Given that the 'boo' with the constant character out works, I am left scratching my head.
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Bill, I think you need to use ## instead of # in "locptra #hello_world".
    edited 2014-03-21 16:12
    Replaced

locptra #hello_world

with

setptra ##hello_world

Still does not work.
    edited 2014-03-21 16:31
    Bill,
    Try these changes

after the LOCPTRA #hello_world follow with a ADDPTRA ##$E00

Also a JMP @ switches to HUB exec and a JMP # switches to COG mode.