Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Propeller-WebTool Framework for Compiled Languages? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

A Propeller-WebTool Framework for Compiled Languages?

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-12-30 14:38
    From the Preliminary PRD post: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/152711-A-Propeller-WebTool-Framework-for-Compiled-Languages?p=1231077&viewfull=1#post1231077

"Resource use (compiler and other tools) determined by server"

This means if the program is hosted by RPi, that can determine what gets used. No one that I know of is interested in converting GCC tools to Javascript.
    edited 2013-12-30 14:46
    dgately wrote: »
    On onkeypress...

What about gesture-based edits on a tablet? Will onkeypress catch edits like tapping on a word to select it, cut it, paste it elsewhere? Those gestures change the content. Are there other events that will catch those edits?

dgately
    I was able to use onkeyup for the FlowBlocks program for text field editing.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2013-12-30 14:57
    Heater. wrote: »
    To my mind if you need a 40 dollar dongle to program the prop then that dongle could as well be a Raspberry Pi or similar. In which case the compiler could as well run on that.

Could "the dongle" be based on the Spinneret 2 (new quickstart with ethernet david is working on)?

Because after loading the "slave prop" (target) there are likely to be a few spare cogs (and several spare io pins) in the "dongle prop" that could be optionally put to good use. Plus whatever code we develop is prop-centric rather than an arm or other processor
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-12-30 15:00
    Tubular wrote: »
    Could "the dongle" be based on the Spinneret 2 (new quickstart with ethernet david is working on)?

Because after loading the "slave prop" (target) there are likely to be a few spare cogs (and several spare io pins) in the "dongle prop" that could be optionally put to good use. Plus whatever code we develop is prop-centric rather than an arm or other processor
    That is certainly possible and I think Steve already mentioned the Spinneret as an option. The main problem is that you don't get a wireless connection. That means you need a Wi-Fi router to communicate with the tablet since it can't connect through Ethernet.
    edited 2013-12-30 17:32
    Heater have you had any luck getting this to work again?

http://a.linuxsecured.net/openspin.html

I'm hoping to have a demo ready early next week.
    edited 2013-12-30 17:38
    jazzed wrote: »
    Heater have you had any luck getting this to work again?

http://a.linuxsecured.net/openspin.html

I'm hoping to have a demo ready early next week.
    What's this supposed to do? Does it compile the program and load it into an attached Propeller?
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2013-12-30 17:43
    David Betz wrote: »
    What's this supposed to do? Does it compile the program and load it into an attached Propeller?

I believe it compiles the simple spin example into byte codes that eventually will be downloaded to a Prop once it's figured out how to do so. I think elsewhere in this thread it was mentioned he broke the code for this example. It worked yesterday but seems broken now.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-12-30 17:57
    David,
    What's this supposed to do?
    Just now it's totally broken. So it does nothing. I lost my work whilst in a state of fuzzy confusion brought on by a does of the flu.

What it is supposed to be is openspin translated to Javascript that compiles Spin in your browser.

When it worked that was all it did, The resulting binary never left your browser unless you copied the displayed hex dump.
    edited 2013-12-30 18:02
    David,

Just now it's totally broken. So it does nothing. I lost my work whilst in a state of fuzzy confusion brought on by a does of the flu.

What it is supposed to be is openspin translated to Javascript that compiles Spin in your browser.

When it worked that was all it did, The resulting binary never left your browser unless you copied the displayed hex dump.
    That sound pretty cool! Any idea what broke it? Can you just run the translation over again?
    edited 2013-12-30 18:04
    Jazzed,

...have you had any luck getting this to work again?

Not yet. I started again from scratch. This time I'm writing instructions and notes as I go along. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get that thing built. the emscripten documentation is not always clear or complete. Hopefully I can post the instructions up somewhere so that others can play.

The good news is that the boss declared a holiday all this week so I'll have some time to do something. A demo next week should be possible.
    edited 2013-12-30 18:11
    David,
    Any idea what broke it? Can you just run the translation over again?
    Yes, me !

Thing is the build system generates a big JS file and an HTML page to run it in which contains a pile of JS to configure the thing and provide support functions.

As was only experimenting I was hacking away on that HTML/JS.

Then I had to regenerate everything, at which point I discovered my backed up versions had been accidentally clobbered. Finger trouble.
    edited 2013-12-30 18:12
    Jazzed,

Not yet. I started again from scratch. This time I'm writing instructions and notes as I go along. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get that thing built. the emscripten documentation is not always clear or complete. Hopefully I can post the instructions up somewhere so that others can play.

The good news is that the boss declared a holiday all this week so I'll have some time to do something. A demo next week should be possible.
    Lucky you! I'm working every day except Wednesday although almost no one else at ST is so I'm pretty much on my own.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-12-30 18:36
    David Betz wrote:
    I'm working every day except Wednesday ...

Lucky you! I'm self-employed and have to work Wednesday. My boss is an absolute ogre!

-Phil
    edited 2013-12-30 18:47
    Lucky you! I'm self-employed and have to work Wednesday. My boss is an absolute ogre!

-Phil
    :-)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-12-31 17:15

-Phil
    Seems like you should fire the boss and hire a nicer one ;)
    edited 2014-01-01 06:00
    OK. openspin.js has been a bit sidetracked by the idea of documenting the process. Sounds simple right?
    Well not if you decide to do the documenting in a blog. I thought I would try out the new Ghost blogging set up https://ghost.org/.
    Ghost is small a very simple, compared to wordpress for example. It enables you to write everything in Markdown with a sort of WYSIWYG web based editor.
    Ghost is written entirely in Javascript so it fits in with the theme of the work here. No ugly PHP or MySQL data bases to mess with.
    Of course I got sidtracked by figuring out how to tweak Ghost and add things like code syntax highlighting to blog posts etc.

Anyway, can anyone out there see the result? This is all running on my local LAN. The odd thing is that it works internally on localhost but I can't see it at it's domain name "a.linuxsecured.net".

Can you see this : http://a.linuxsecured.net/ ?

There is a start on the openspin to JS compilation instructions there.
    edited 2014-01-01 06:06
    OK. openspin.js has been a bit sidetracked by the idea of documenting the process. Sounds simple right?
    Well not if you decide to do the documenting in a blog. I thought I would try out the new Ghost blogging set up https://ghost.org/.
    Ghost is small a very simple, compared to wordpress for example. It enables you to write everything in Markdown with a sort of WYSIWYG web based editor.
    Ghost is written entirely in Javascript so it fits in with the theme of the work here. No ugly PHP or MySQL data bases to mess with.
    Of course I got sidtracked by figuring out how to tweak Ghost and add things like code syntax highlighting to blog posts etc.

Anyway, can anyone out there see the result? This is all running on my local LAN. The odd thing is that it works internally on localhost but I can't see it at it's domain name "a.linuxsecured.net".

There is a start on the openspin to JS compilation instructions there.
    I can see one page named "Parallaxia" at that URL.
    edited 2014-01-01 06:08
    David,

Are you here?

That's great. What happens when you hit the title of the posts?
    edited 2014-01-01 06:13
    David,

Are you here?

That's great. What happens when you hit the title of the posts?
    I guest more detail on that post. Looks like it's working. Congratulations!
    edited 2014-01-01 06:15
    Cool, now I can get back to business...
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-01-01 07:12
    Cool! It looks good.

I'd hate to taint your Blog but do you want a Windows7 set of instructions if I can get it to work on Win7?

EDIT: UM, nevermind. Google tells me Clang on Windows appears or be either an experiemental effort or only available as older releases. I'm not up for the pain and suffering when I have Linux and OSx readily availble. Sorry all you Windows users!
    edited 2014-01-01 07:31
    Cool, now I can get back to business...
    Is this blog running on a RaspberryPi?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-01-01 07:37
    Fortinet says it's a malicious website..
    "URL: a.linuxsecured.net/
    Category: Malicious Websites"
    But they (Fortinet) are almost always wrong. It means that I can't currently access it though.

-Tor
    edited 2014-01-01 07:40
    No. Why?

Strangely enough a.linuxsecured.net used to point to my Raspi here. I redirected it to my PC so people could see the openspin.html. Perhaps I'll move it back some time.

Anyway, the instructions now get as far as producing a JS openspin that runs under node.
    edited 2014-01-01 07:46
    Tor,

"malicious web site"

Might be :)

Who on Earth are Fortinet and why can't you turn them off?
    edited 2014-01-01 08:11
    No. Why?
    Just curious. I'm getting a RaspPi soon and am wondering what to do with it other than trying to talk to a Propeller from some of its GPIO pins.
    Strangely enough a.linuxsecured.net used to point to my Raspi here. I redirected it to my PC so people could see the openspin.html. Perhaps I'll move it back some time.

Anyway, the instructions now get as far as producing a JS openspin that runs under node.
    Does it have decent performance? Somehow I can't imagine translating GCC to JavaScript. Can node.js really handle a program that large? Also, GCC is just a shell that invokes lots of other programs under the hood. Is that support available with this translator? In other words, can the program do fork/exec?
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-01-01 08:29

-Phil

Seems to be a lot of that going around.

I'm in the office working and got an email with some updated code from what is turning out to be a very dedicated vendor.

At least the government gives us that money tree when we become self-employed.

C.W.
    edited 2014-01-01 08:34
    ctwardell wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of that going around.

I'm in the office working and got an email with some updated code from what is turning out to be a very dedicated vendor.

At least the government gives us that money tree when we become self-employed.

C.W.
    Money tree?
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-01-01 08:39
    David Betz wrote: »
    Money tree?

Yeah, it seems like everyone thinks you're somehow magically rich when you are self employed.

I'm hoping they are correct and I just haven't found my money tree yet...

C.W.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-01-01 09:32
    Who on Earth are Fortinet and why can't you turn them off?
    Firewall company.. sell 'Fortigate' stuff. Our corporate firewall (well, one of them), it transparently filters URLs by looking up Fortinet's very very inaccurate database. Apparently they start out by putting every URL in the 'malicious' category and then relies on people to ask them to change the category. I've done it more times than I can count, and they always fix it - eventually - but it's a bit tiresome, I have to re-direct through the tor onion network to see the page and so on.

-Tor