Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II - Page 10 — Parallax Forums

p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-04-02 08:22
    Will do. I had Chip review the monitor doc. I figure this time we can get this stuff done as we build basic tools. :) There is time to sort out where it lives. IMHO, that needs to happen, and I don't care where.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-04-02 08:30
    potatohead wrote: »
    Will do. I had Chip review the monitor doc. I figure this time we can get this stuff done as we build basic tools. :) There is time to sort out where it lives. IMHO, that needs to happen, and I don't care where.

Sounds like we need another sticky.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-04-02 08:39
    jazzed wrote: »
    Sounds like we need another sticky.
    There is already a sticky at the top of this forum and it has a pointer to the p2load thread. Isn't that good enough?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-04-02 08:52
    That all works for me. If somebody reads the thing, they just need to be able to get the program. I linked to the forum for Ariba's Prop Terminal. There is a thread he updates, and that's where it lives. No worries. I just need to know what the plan is, and would prefer few updates, that's all.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-04-02 08:52
    It works for me so far... I'll let you know when/if I run into any difficulties.
    David Betz wrote: »
    Are people generally happy with the way p2load works at this point? Are there any issues that still need addressing or can I consider it stable for the moment?
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-04-02 09:04
    There is already a sticky at the top of this forum and it has a pointer to the p2load thread. Isn't that good enough?

I've never noticed. Will go look since you mentioned it though.

The problem with regular threads is they fall off the top over time and even google search is useless without terms.
    edited 2013-04-02 09:08
    jazzed wrote: »
    I've never noticed. Will go look since you mentioned it though.

The problem with regular threads is they fall off the top over time and even google search is useless without terms.
    If they fall off the top page I assume they will still be accessible through the links in the top sticky post won't they? Or do they eventually get deleted if they aren't accessed often enough?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-04-02 14:14
    Are people generally happy with the way p2load works at this point? Are there any issues that still need addressing or can I consider it stable for the moment?
    It is working great for me David. Many thanks. I have been giving it a workout but I am only loading 1 file for now.

I am trying to maintaint the first post in the sticky to anything new and relevant. If you need something updated there, preference is to detail it in a post to that thread, and I will update a summary on the first post. I will also link to a thread if relevant. If I do miss something, pm me.

I started a thread for P2 Drivers & Tools where you can add these references. I need to update the sticky with a link to this thread once it gains traction.
    edited 2013-04-02 14:15
    If they fall off the top page I assume they will still be accessible through the links in the top sticky post won't they? Or do they eventually get deleted if they aren't accessed often enough?
    They never get deleted, just relegated further down the list according to the date of the last post.
    edited 2013-04-03 04:37
    I've updated the top post with a new version that supports the -T option to enter a PST-compatible terminal mode. This can be used instead of -t if you need \r translated to \r\n. So far, that is the only difference between -t and -T.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-04-03 04:41
    Hi David.

Thanks for that.

I've updated the top post with a new version that supports the -T option to enter a PST-compatible terminal mode. This can be used instead of -t if you need \r translated to \r\n. So far, that is the only difference between -t and -T.
    edited 2013-04-03 14:55
    Fantastic work, thanks David - Works great and with the dos box I can scroll back. I have just updated my batch file to use -T mode and -b 115200.

I noticed the first time your code failed to recognise the board. I have this occasionally on PST and other software on P1. PropTool always seems to find the board though. There must be something subtle in the timing. This is only the first time after the board is plugged in to the USB, so it is definately not a problem. I just re-ran p2load and it found the board.
    edited 2013-04-03 16:13
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Fantastic work, thanks David - Works great and with the dos box I can scroll back. I have just updated my batch file to use -T mode and -b 115200.

I noticed the first time your code failed to recognise the board. I have this occasionally on PST and other software on P1. PropTool always seems to find the board though. There must be something subtle in the timing. This is only the first time after the board is plugged in to the USB, so it is definately not a problem. I just re-ran p2load and it found the board.
    Out of curiousity, why are you using 115200? Is 230400 unreliable for you? Should I change the default back to 115200?

By the way, the code I'm using to detect the P2 is a translation of Chip's Pascal code so I would think it would work as well as PNut. Of course, maybe I made an error in the translation.
    edited 2013-04-03 16:51
    Out of curiousity, why are you using 115200? Is 230400 unreliable for you? Should I change the default back to 115200?

By the way, the code I'm using to detect the P2 is a translation of Chip's Pascal code so I would think it would work as well as PNut. Of course, maybe I made an error in the translation.
    I universally use 115200 where I can. My code has the baud set in the CON section - so it's easy enough to change. If my loads took too long I would switch, but it is not a problem for me currently. Since I call p2load via a batch file, it is just as easy to add the -b 115200 in. Others may have a different opinion. In fact my bat file was still using -c 0,1000:0 instead of -h (I had tried it manually for you).

I cannot say if pnut has always recognised the DE0 or not - just cannot recall. I do know that sometimes PST does not recognise the port first up, and I load PropTool and F7 to identify the port. PropTool always seems to work unless the USB breaks in windoze and that often requires a windoze reboot - not often, but it happens. Don't worry about it - I will keep an eye on it and see if there is any specifics in this, or just an occasional glitch.
    edited 2013-04-03 16:56
    I universally use 115200 where I can. My code has the baud set in the CON section - so it's easy enough to change. If my loads took too long I would switch, but it is not a problem for me currently. Since I call p2load via a batch file, it is just as easy to add the -b 115200 in. Others may have a different opinion. In fact my bat file was still using -c 0,1000:0 instead of -h (I had tried it manually for you).
    Okay, I'll wait to hear from others. It seems like someone was looking for a faster load time but maybe we'd be better sticking with 115200 as a default. At least that matches propeller-load.
    I cannot say if pnut has always recognised the DE0 or not - just cannot recall. I do know that sometimes PST does not recognise the port first up, and I load PropTool and F7 to identify the port. PropTool always seems to work unless the USB breaks in windoze and that often requires a windoze reboot - not often, but it happens. Don't worry about it - I will keep an eye on it and see if there is any specifics in this, or just an occasional glitch.
    I've seen the failure to detect the P2 but I think it always happened to me if I tried too soon after plugging in the USB cable. If I wait a second or so I think it always works. I haven't done a scientific test though. If anyone wants to look over my serial port code they're welcome to. I'd be happy to have someone suggest a fix to make it more reliable.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2013-04-19 00:37
    Seairth wrote: »
    I have a suggestion:

When the ROM loader starts, it fires up a COG with the HMAC/SHA-256 engine. Once it has completed the authentication/verification, it shuts the COG back down. However, it seems to me that the second-stage loader is going to want to do the same authentication/verification of the remaining code that it loads. Obviously, it could just start the engine back up again, but I am wondering if the engine could just be left running by the first-stage loader. This would provide a small start-up performance boost and save a few instructions in the second-stage loader. The ROM loader would still be the same size because the COGSTOP would likely be moved to the section where authentication failed.

The workflow is intended as thus:

ROM loads boot loader
    ROM authenticates boot loader
    boot loader runs
    boot loader reads SPI flash contents into main memory
    boot loader uses AES-128 in CBC mode to decrypt memory contents
    boot loader chain loads to program in memory

There is little value in authenticating un-encrypted code, thus the SHA-256 engine shuts down. The data is right there in ROM, so you can launch it again if you want.

For all cases where authentication and encryption are unneeded, you simply leave the key all zeros, but as soon as you need to authenticate, you should also be encrypting the code too.

As for CBC vs other vector protocols, don't fret, CBC is used in A LOT of hardware/network security protocols, and there are no demonstrable exploits against it.
    edited 2013-04-23 05:23
    I've just updated the top message in this thread with a new version of p2load that supports some new options. First, you can now specify which COG to run the main program in using the following syntax:
             [ -r n, ]                 run program in COG n
             [ -r n,addr[:param] ]     run program in COG n from addr with parameter param

The first just sets the COG in which to run the main program. The second also allows you to specify the address of the COG image and the parameter to pass to coginit.

I've also added some options to allow you to write data to flash:
             [ -f file,faddr ]         write contents of file to flash at faddr
             [ -f faddr,haddr,count ]  write count bytes of hub data at haddr to flash at faddr

The first writes the contents of a file to flash at the specified address. The second writes data from hub memory to flash.

Finally, I've added a way to write a bootable image to the flash. This makes it possible to have a program boot on reset without having to download it each time.
             [ -w ]                    write a bootable image to flash

I now have Baggers' Fire demo running out of flash on my DE2-115 board! :-)

In addition to being attached to the top message of this thread this version is also checked into Google Code in the p2test branch.
    edited 2013-04-23 05:47
    Hi David.

NICE - Thanks
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-04-23 07:55
    Excellent!
    I've just updated the top message in this thread with a new version of p2load that supports some new options. First, you can now specify which COG to run the main program in using the following syntax:
             [ -r n, ]                 run program in COG n
             [ -r n,addr[:param] ]     run program in COG n from addr with parameter param

The first just sets the COG in which to run the main program. The second also allows you to specify the address of the COG image and the parameter to pass to coginit.

I've also added some options to allow you to write data to flash:
             [ -f file,faddr ]         write contents of file to flash at faddr
             [ -f faddr,haddr,count ]  write count bytes of hub data at haddr to flash at faddr

The first writes the contents of a file to flash at the specified address. The second writes data from hub memory to flash.

Finally, I've added a way to write a bootable image to the flash. This makes it possible to have a program boot on reset without having to download it each time.
             [ -w ]                    write a bootable image to flash

I now have Baggers' Fire demo running out of flash on my DE2-115 board! :-)

In addition to being attached to the top message of this thread this version is also checked into Google Code in the p2test branch.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-04-23 08:26
    Great work David, I'll have to try that out later, when I get some play time :D
    edited 2013-04-27 17:13
    David: I noticed a minor bug in P2Load. If the .obj file is not found, the program reports that the port and P2 is not found rather than the file is not found.
    edited 2013-04-27 18:54
    David: I noticed a minor bug in P2Load. If the .obj file is not found, the program reports that the port and P2 is not found rather than the file is not found.
    Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll check into it.
    edited 2013-04-27 18:59
    Can you give me an example of this. I just tried this simple example and it complained about the missing file.
    david-betzs-macbook-pro:p2load dbetz$ p2load foo.obj
    error: can't find a port with a propeller chip
    david-betzs-macbook-pro:p2load dbetz$ p2load foo.obj
    Found propeller version 32 on /dev/cu.usbserial-A800f7XO
    Loading 'foo.obj' at 0x00000e80
    error: can't open 'foo.obj'

It will complain about the port though before complaining about a missing file if the port is not found since the port is opened before the file. Is that what is happening in your example?
    edited 2013-04-27 20:07
    Sorry David. I downloaded the latest and it works fine. The open error message now follows the valid opening of the port.
    edited 2013-04-28 05:05
    Sorry David. I downloaded the latest and it works fine. The open error message now follows the valid opening of the port.
    I'm glad the new version resolved the problem for you. I'm surprised though since it seems that I fixed your bug before you reported it! :-)
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-04-28 08:20
    David, how's the SDRAM side coming?
    edited 2013-04-28 11:52
    Baggers wrote: »
    David, how's the SDRAM side coming?
    I'm afraid I haven't made much progress on that. My current plan is to just use the existing -f p2load feature to write images to SPI flash and then write a simple program that will load SDRAM from flash and start your graphic programs. I'm not sure about adding SDRAM support directly to p2load since there is no standard way of interfacing to SDRAM. Once the actual chips come out different board designers will probably use different interfaces. I guess I could add a scheme for loading board-specific SDRAM drivers but I haven't thought about that enough to have a design in mind.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2013-04-28 22:36
    I think energy would be better spent writing an SD card interface for the P2, then you can write some files to the card and load them at runtime into SDRAM.
    edited 2013-04-29 04:01
    pedward wrote: »
    I think energy would be better spent writing an SD card interface for the P2, then you can write some files to the card and load them at runtime into SDRAM.
    PropGCC already supports the SD card on P2.
    edited 2013-04-29 05:13
    Hi David.

Have You PASM code to that You can post.

Thanks
    PropGCC already supports the SD card on P2.