Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II — Parallax Forums

p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II

David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
edited 2015-06-22 15:40 in Propeller 2
Here is an early version of p2load, a loader for the Propeller II.

This loader should be able to load .BIN and .obj files created with PNut.exe. I've included a sample program (my "Hello, Propeller II!" program).

Usage:
p2load - a loader for the propeller 2 - version 0.008, 2013-04-23
usage: p2load
         [ -b baud ]               baud rate (default is 230400)
         [ -c addr[:param] ]       load a free COG with image at addr and parameter param
         [ -c n,addr[:param] ]     load COG n with image at addr and parameter param
         [ -f file,faddr ]         write contents of file to flash at faddr
         [ -f faddr,haddr,count ]  write count bytes of hub data at haddr to flash at faddr
         [ -h ]                    cog image is at $1000 instead of $0e80
         [ -m ]                    start the ROM monitor instead of the program
         [ -n ]                    set stack top to $8000 for the DE0-Nano
         [ -p port ]               serial port (default is to auto-detect the port)
         [ -P ]                    list available serial ports
         [ -r addr[:param] ]       run program in COG 0 from addr with parameter param
         [ -r n, ]                 run program in COG n
         [ -r n,addr[:param] ]     run program in COG n from addr with parameter param
         [ -s ]                    strip $e80 bytes from start of the file before loading
         [ -t ]                    enter terminal mode after running the program
         [ -T ]                    enter PST-compatible terminal mode
         [ -v ]                    verbose output
         [ -w ]                    write a bootable image to flash
         [ -? ]                    display a usage message and exit
         file[,addr]...            files to load

You should be able to load it like this:
p2load -v p2-hello.obj -t

The -v just gets you some additional information that might be useful to me if you have problems. The -t says to enter a simple terminal emulator after completing the load.

To load more than one file at a time you must specific the load address of all but one of the files. If no load address is specified, the file will load at 0xe80. For example, to load Bagger's image display program along with an image to display do this:
p2load testcard.bin,8000 BaggersNPotatoheads_16_bit_graphics_driver_NTSC.bin

This will load "testcard.bin" at 0x8000 and then load the image display program at 0xe80.

It is also possible to start an image in a COG and pass it a parameter. The idea behind this is that you could have drivers that are built separately from your main program and load them separately. This could allow you to reuse the hub space normally occupied by these drivers for your main program. Later, I'll add a way to do this when you boot from SPI flash.

The sequence would be:

1) load data into the area between 0xe80 and 0xfff containing already initialized mailboxes for each driver you want to load.
2) load the driver images to 0x1000 or above
3) start each driver
4) load your main program starting at 0x1000

You start a driver using the following syntax:
p2load mailboxes.bin drivers.bin,1000 -c 1000:f00 -c 1800:f10 prog.bin,1000

This would load the mailbox images at 0xe80 (the default load addres), the driver images starting at 0x1000, it would start the driver image at 0x1000 passing it 0xf00 as a parameter (mailbox), then start driver image at 0x1800 passing it 0xf10, and finally load the main program at 0x1000 overwriting the driver images which aren't needed anymore since the COGs are already running.

This is a command-line tool. I might consider making a GUI version of it using Qt if there is a need.

The code for p2load is hosted on Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/propgcc/

Here is a zip file containing a Windows version compiled with MinGW: p2load.zip

This has been tested on the DE0-Nano FPGA board running Chip's P2 configuration file. It has not been tested on the DE2-115 FPGA board.

Update: 2012-12-05
Added the -s option to strip off the first $0e80 bytes of the .obj file before loading. This allows you to put "byte 0[$0e80]" at the start of your DAT section to make labels have their correct hub addresses without having to add the $0e80 offset.

Update: 2012-12-06
Replaced the Cygwin version of p2load.exe with a MinGW version that doesn't require any extra DLLs.

Update: 2013-03-30
Added the ability to load multiple files at a time and to specifiy the address at which a file is to be loaded.
Also added a way to start a COG passing it a parameter.

Update: 2013-03-30 (second attempt)
Added the -m option to start the ROM monitor rather than the user program after loading.
Fixed a bug in parameter parsing that prevented the -b option from being used to change the baud rate.

Update: 2013-03-30 (third attempt)
Added the -r option to allow the start address and parameter to be set for the main program.

Update: 2013-03-30 (fourth attempt)
Added the ability to specify the COG id to the -c option.
Changed the default baud rate to 230400.

Update: 2013-03-31
Fixed a bug that could cause the second-stage loader to crash after processing -c.

Update: 2013-04-01, Version 0.003
Made the loader handle "-c 0,xxx:yyy" the same as "-r xxx:yyy". This is because COG 0 always has to be the last COG loaded before the loader exits.

Update: 2013-04-01, Version 0.004
Fixed a bug in the -h option.

Update: 2013-04-03, Version 0.005
Added a -T option to enter a PST-compatible terminal mode where \r is translated to \r\n on output.

Update: 2013-04-21, Version 0.007
Added the -f option to write to flash and updated -r to allow the main program to be started in any COG.

Update: 2013-04-23, Version 0.008
Fixed some bugs in the -f option. Added a -w option to write a bootable image to flash.

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-12-05 10:57
    Nice work David!
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2012-12-05 11:59
    Dave, it is working on the DE2-115 also, just tried. Did I understand this loader still has a length limit?
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-12-05 12:05
    nutson wrote: »
    Dave, it is working on the DE2-115 also, just tried. Did I understand this loader still has a length limit?
    No, this loader should be able to load all of hub memory. I haven't tried longer programs though since I will first need to write one! :-)
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2012-12-05 12:22
    I have a suggestion:

When the ROM loader starts, it fires up a COG with the HMAC/SHA-256 engine. Once it has completed the authentication/verification, it shuts the COG back down. However, it seems to me that the second-stage loader is going to want to do the same authentication/verification of the remaining code that it loads. Obviously, it could just start the engine back up again, but I am wondering if the engine could just be left running by the first-stage loader. This would provide a small start-up performance boost and save a few instructions in the second-stage loader. The ROM loader would still be the same size because the COGSTOP would likely be moved to the section where authentication failed.
    edited 2012-12-05 12:31
    Seairth wrote: »
    I have a suggestion:

When the ROM loader starts, it fires up a COG with the HMAC/SHA-256 engine. Once it has completed the authentication/verification, it shuts the COG back down. However, it seems to me that the second-stage loader is going to want to do the same authentication/verification of the remaining code that it loads. Obviously, it could just start the engine back up again, but I am wondering if the engine could just be left running by the first-stage loader. This would provide a small start-up performance boost and save a few instructions in the second-stage loader. The ROM loader would still be the same size because the COGSTOP would likely be moved to the section where authentication failed.
    This is a good suggestion but you might want to post it to one of the other P2 threads because I'm not sure Chip will see it here. He is the owner of the code that is in the P2 ROM and would have to agree to any proposed changes.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2012-12-05 12:37
    Yeah, I know Chip would have to make the ROM changes. I just figured that this was the most appropriate place to post the idea (instead of on the Blog thread with 90+ pages of comments). I'll cross-post to bring it to his attention.
    edited 2012-12-05 13:15
    Dave, does your p2load place the .bin file in HUB memory, and where? The following code starts a second COG from hub $1020 (the LED is on), but it is not executing my code.
    DAT 
                      org
                      setcog  #2
                      coginit hub, param
    live             nop
                      nop     
                      nop
                      jmp #live             'keep COG alive        
    hub            long    $1020
    param        long    0

DAT
                    org
                    neg     dira,#1         'make the first 32 I/Os outputs
    :loop
                    mov     count1,#100      'increment the pins 100 times
    :inc          add     pina,#1
                    djnz    count1,#:inc
                    reps    #100,#1         'now let's do it faster
                    nop                     '(could do something useful here)
                    add     pina,#1
                    jmp     #:loop          'repeat (watch P0 on an o'scope)
    count1     res     1

edited 2012-12-05 13:33
    Dave, does your p2load place the .bin file in HUB memory, and where? The following code starts a second COG from hub $1020 (the LED is on), but it is not executing my code.
    DAT 
                      org
                      setcog  #2
                      coginit hub, param
    live             nop
                      nop     
                      nop
                      jmp #live             'keep COG alive        
    hub            long    $1020
    param        long    0

DAT
                    org
                    neg     dira,#1         'make the first 32 I/Os outputs
    :loop
                    mov     count1,#100      'increment the pins 100 times
    :inc          add     pina,#1
                    djnz    count1,#:inc
                    reps    #100,#1         'now let's do it faster
                    nop                     '(could do something useful here)
                    add     pina,#1
                    jmp     #:loop          'repeat (watch P0 on an o'scope)
    count1     res     1

The entire file gets loaded at $0e80 and COG 0 is started from the image at that address. I think you'll find that you have to add $0e80 to your symbol values in order to use them as hub addresses.
    edited 2012-12-05 13:56
    Thanks Dave, works now, I see P0 toggling at the right rate. Changed the start address of the code for the second COG to $0E80 + $20 (size of code for first COG).

Strangely enough I get the same result now when using Pnut to compile and load this code. Is Pnut also loading into hub at $0E80??

Nico Hattink
    edited 2012-12-05 14:05
    Thanks Dave, works now, I see P0 toggling at the right rate. Changed the start address of the code for the second COG to $0E80 + $20 (size of code for first COG).

Strangely enough I get the same result now when using Pnut to compile and load this code. Is Pnut also loading into hub at $0E80??

Nico Hattink
    Yes, I think so. It sort of makes sense because that's the first hub RAM location in the P2. We've discussed loading at $1000 but I haven't made that change yet.
    edited 2012-12-05 15:41
    I just updated the zip file in the first post with a new version of p2load.exe that supports setting multiple baud rates. The syntax is as follows:
    p2load -b 230400
    p2load -b 230400::115200
    p2load -b ::230400
    p2load -b stage1:stage2:terminal

There are three baud rates used by the loader. The "stage1" baud rate is used for the first-stage (ROM) loader, the "stage2" baud rate is used for the second-stage loader. The "terminal" baud rate is used in the terminal emulator. If you leave any of the fields blank they default to the value of the previous field.

The first example above sets all three baud rates to 230400.
    The second example sets the first-stage and second-stage loader baud rates to 23400 and the terminal baud rate to 115200.
    The third example sets the terminal baud rate to 230400.
    The fourth example is a template showing where each of the baud rates go in the option syntax.
    If not specified, the default baud rate is 115200.

I have tested this and changing both loader baud rates to the same value seems to work but having a different baud rate for the first-stage and second-stage loaders fails. I'll work on debugging that.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-12-05 15:46
    Hi David.

Thanks.

Will test in some time
    edited 2012-12-06 19:09
    I've just uploaded a new version of p2load.exe that is built using MinGW instead of Cygwin. This eliminates the requirement for any extra DLLs. It's attached to the first message in this thread. Please let me know if you have any trouble with this new version.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2012-12-09 00:14
    Current version worked nicely.
    edited 2012-12-09 16:39
    I decided to test the loader on lots of data...

pnut.exe generates an error when building something larger than 32K, just FYI.

byte $f0[$FeFF] ---> failed with, "Object exceeds 32K"
    edited 2012-12-26 18:39
    Is anyone actually using p2load other than me? I'm asking because there are a number of options that I am currently supporting that are no longer necessary for my propgcc work and I'll remove them if no one else is using it or depending on those options. The options are -s which strips the first $0e80 bytes from the binary file before loading it and the -h option that indicates that the COG image is found at address $1000 leaving the space between $0e80 and $1000 as "vector space". Currently, propgcc puts CLKFREQ at $0e80 but doesn't use any of the rest of that space for anything. If I remove the -h option, I'll just make it the default.

This brings up another question. We talked a while ago about using the space between $0e80 and $1000 for mailboxes and other globals. Has anyone given any more thought to that? My current version of propgcc for the P2 leaves that space unallocated except for CLKFREQ. Shall we reopen the discussion of what to use that space for? One possiblity would be to have something similar to Ross's registry there or at least a pointer to it. Any other ideas?
    edited 2012-12-26 18:52
    I gave it a test run, but that's it. My current focus has been completing the monitor use document I started. Kind of want that one done and out of the way. Right now, I've just used the monitor to upload things I want to run. The same goes for data.

IMHO, starting the program at $1000 seems a great idea to me. Ideally, there is a common set of drivers and LMM / XMM kernels that all need to communicate in a structured way. Opening that discussion up makes sense, but I also think it's really early too, so there might not be much to discuss right now. Settling in at $1000 for start of program does beg those "what to put in that space?" questions, and that's a good thing.

I'm about to work up an example or two where pieces get uploaded and a program is written to communicate with those pieces. I didn't think of CLKFREQ yet, but that's a no brainer. I'll start assuming it's at $E80, mailboxes above that, program at $1000. If that really needs to change, great! I can amend what I'm working on once others here weigh in.

Edit: I'm about finding the center of gravity really. It's early, so we will do stuff and I believe we will find a good center as a part of that process.

Thinking about that space:

1. Core system values similar to CLKFREQ, and perhaps that's the only one! Pointers to #2, 3, 4 strike me as a good idea though. I'm thinking of a user program that gets built with one set of drivers and *MM kernel, and it has it's own mailboxes for inter-cog comms. (Barring port D) Say it gets built with another one. Populating those pointers might help as the programmer could work relative to a pointer for a lot of compatibility among competing schemes and there will be competing schemes.

2. Memory kernel mailboxes

3. Various driver mailboxes

4. User mailboxes.

Thinking ahead to GOLD type work means just enough structure for competing things to compete to add value, not get in the way of one another or require programmers to twiddle with too many things.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-12-26 20:30
    David: I am just about to try your p2load.

I have just discovered that pnut.exe only loads the first 512-8 longs into $0E80.165F which does not allow me to properly test my interpreter.

I agree we should keep $E80.EFF free for mailboxes, pointers etc. While we need a discussion about the use of the 128B between E80.EFF, I think we are all too busy playing with DEx emulations to properly discuss this yet.
    Food for thought.... 4 sets of longs per cog = 4*4*8=128 Bytes. We could use the last long of each cog for other things/pointers, or we could try and convince Chip to free-up the last 16 bytes ($E70.E7F) of rom which just stores the message "== END OF ROM ==" ???
    edited 2012-12-27 05:03
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    David: I am just about to try your p2load.

I have just discovered that pnut.exe only loads the first 512-8 longs into $0E80.165F which does not allow me to properly test my interpreter.

I agree we should keep $E80.EFF free for mailboxes, pointers etc. While we need a discussion about the use of the 128B between E80.EFF, I think we are all too busy playing with DEx emulations to properly discuss this yet.
    Food for thought.... 4 sets of longs per cog = 4*4*8=128 Bytes. We could use the last long of each cog for other things/pointers, or we could try and convince Chip to free-up the last 16 bytes ($E70.E7F) of rom which just stores the message "== END OF ROM ==" ???

Right, Chip's PNut.exe IDE can only load 512 longs at the moment. I think he said he had plans to add a second-stage loader but I don't know if he's had time yet.

If you're going to use p2load you'll need to know what switches to use:

-v just produces slightly verbose informational output. It is optional.

-s strips the first $0e80 bytes from the file before loading. This is because I've taken to adding $0e80 bytes of padding at the start of my PASM files so that the hub addresses come out right. If your PASM code starts at hub address 0 then you should leave off the -s option.

-h assumes that the COG image starts at $1000. If not specified, the COG image starts at $0e80.

-t just enters a simple terminal mode after loading.

-n is for loading C programs into the DE0-Nano. It places the top of the C stack at $8000 instead of $20000 since the DE0-Nano only supports 32k of hub memory.
    edited 2012-12-27 14:30
    thanks for the -t. this will belp my testing.
    edited 2012-12-27 14:31
    thanks for the -t. this will belp my testing.
    No problem! I stole it from my propeller-load program. :-)
    edited 2012-12-28 14:24
    Sorry for the typos (and lower case). I just cannot find a decent editor that permits typos to be corrected easily on the xoom/android.
    edited 2012-12-28 14:55
    Sorry for the typos (and lower case). I just cannot find a decent editor that permits typos to be corrected easily on the xoom/android.
    No problem! I knew what you meant. :-)
    edited 2012-12-28 20:49
    David: I have been using p2load all day with the -t option. This is areally neat feature.

I have my code arranged as follows...
    $0E80.0FFF = simple pasm boot code that then does a coginit to run my P2 Interpreter.
    $1000.17FF = P2 Interpreter.
    $1800.1BFF = Vector Table for P2 Interpreter
    $1C00.1FFF = filled with "?"
    $2000.xxxx = Spin code object being tested (compiled with PropTool with a base of $0000)

I have had to fill the gaps to ensure the code is contiguous.
    edited 2012-12-28 20:53
    David: I have been using p2load all day with the -t option. This is areally neat feature.

I have my code arranged as follows...
    $0E80.0FFF = simple pasm boot code that then does a coginit to run my P2 Interpreter.
    $1000.17FF = P2 Interpreter.
    $1800.1BFF = Vector Table for P2 Interpreter
    $1C00.1FFF = filled with "?"
    $2000.xxxx = Spin code object being tested (compiled with PropTool with a base of $0000)

I have had to fill the gaps to ensure the code is contiguous.

I'm glad you're having good luck with p2load. I've recently updated it to know how to load .elf files produced by propgcc. Let me know if there are any features that I could add that would help your work.

How is your Spin interpreter coming?
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2012-12-28 21:11
    Forgive my ignorance, but I have been away for a while. How are you testing this? Is the P2 out, or do you guys that are testing this have pre-production samples?
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-12-28 21:48
    hinv wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but I have been away for a while. How are you testing this? Is the P2 out, or do you guys that are testing this have pre-production samples?

Parallax released an FPGA binay of the Propeller 2, and anybody who wants can download it and test with it. Cluso has a thread with all the resources: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?144199-Propeller-II-Emulation-of-the-P2-on-DE0-NANO-amp-DE2-115-FPGA-boards
    edited 2012-12-28 21:55
    hinv: A few of us are fortunate to have obtained vaporsilicon - It is a new process that Chip used but came with some restrictions - some of the cogs don't work, so some of us have 1 cog versions with only 32KB of ram and runs at 60MHz. Others have better luck with 6 cog versions but I am not sure if they still have the 32KB ram problem. I also understand they run faster. ;)

No, really, Chip has released a binary that runs on 2 FPGA boards. See http://forums.parallax.com/forumdisplay.php?65-Propeller-Chip/page2&order=desc

David: I am just getting the interpreter to begin execution, controlled so I can ensure it is following the instructions correctly. I have verified that it can decode the bytecodes and fetch the vectors for decoding. I need to verify that it is obtaining the correct program/variable/stack/pc/dcurr first - I have had to relocate each of these by $2000.

This is my current spin test code (entered manually after compiling with homespun)
    DAT
    ' The following spin test code starts at hub $2000...
      org 0
    '' The following is the spin test code (from spin2b.lst)...
                                             ' '==============================================================================
      byte  $00,$1b,$b7,$00                  ' 0000: 00 1b b7 00 ' Frequency: 12000000 Hz
      byte  $00                              ' 0004: 00          ' XTAL mode
      byte  $60                              ' 0005: 60          ' Checksum
      byte  $10,$00                          ' 0006: 10 00       ' Base of program
      byte  $6c,$00                          ' 0008: 6c 00       ' Base of variables
      byte  $fc,$00                          ' 000a: fc 00       ' Base of stack
      byte  $20,$00                          ' 000c: 20 00       ' Initial program counter
      byte  $00,$01                          ' 000e: 00 01       ' Initial stack pointer
                                             ' 
                                             ' '******************************************************************************
                                             ' '                                 spin2b.spin                                  
                                             ' '******************************************************************************
                                             ' 
                                             ' '=================================== CONs =====================================
                                             ' monitor = 1804
                                             ' monpins = 46171
                                             ' hub = 8192
                                             ' hub1 = 8196
                                             ' hub2 = 8200
                                             ' '=============================== Object Header ================================
      byte  $5c,$00,$04,$00                  ' 0010: 5c 00 04 00 ' 92 bytes, 4-1 methods, 0 object pointers
      byte  $10,$00,$00,$00                  ' 0014: 10 00 00 00 ' ptr #1 to $0020: PUB TestSpin (locals size: 0)
      byte  $24,$00,$00,$00                  ' 0018: 24 00 00 00 ' ptr #2 to $0034: PUB T1 (locals size: 0)
      byte  $40,$00,$00,$00                  ' 001c: 40 00 00 00 ' ptr #3 to $0050: PUB T2 (locals size: 0)
                                             ' '========================== Method #1: PUB TestSpin ===========================
                                             ' 'PUB TestSpin     ' | i
                                             ' '------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                             '   byte[hub] := $DEADBEEF
                                             ' '------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      byte  $3b,$de,$ad,$be,$ef              ' 0020: 3b de ad be ef PUSH#k4    -559038737
      byte  $37,$0c                          ' 0025: 37 0c          PUSH#kp    8192 ($2000)
      byte  $c1                              ' 0027: c1             POP.L      Mem[]
                                             '   coginit (0,T1,@stack1)
      byte  $37,$00                          ' 0028: 37 00          PUSH#kp    2 ($2)
      byte  $43                              ' 002a: 43             PUSH#      VAR+0
      byte  $15                              ' 002b: 15             MARK       
      byte  $35                              ' 002c: 35             PUSH#0     
      byte  $3f,$8f                          ' 002d: 3f 8f          REGPUSH    $8f?
      byte  $37,$61                          ' 002f: 37 61          PUSH#kp    -4 ($fffffffc)
      byte  $d1                              ' 0031: d1             POP.L      Mem[][]
      byte  $2c                              ' 0032: 2c             COGISUB    
      byte  $32                              ' 0033: 32             RETURN     
                                             ' '============================= Method #2: PUB T1 ==============================
                                             ' 'PUB T1
                                             '   byte[hub1] := $F00DFEED
      byte  $3b,$f0,$0d,$fe,$ed              ' 0034: 3b f0 0d fe ed PUSH#k4    -267518227
      byte  $39,$20,$04                      ' 0039: 39 20 04       PUSH#k2    8196
      byte  $c1                              ' 003c: c1             POP.L      Mem[]
                                             '   temp1 := byte[hub]
      byte  $37,$0c                          ' 003d: 37 0c          PUSH#kp    8192 ($2000)
      byte  $c0                              ' 003f: c0             PUSH.L     Mem[]
      byte  $c9,$80,$80                      ' 0040: c9 80 80       POP.L      VAR+128
                                             '   coginit (0,T2,@stack2)       'relaunch cog0 with monitor
      byte  $37,$21                          ' 0043: 37 21          PUSH#kp    3 ($3)
      byte  $cb,$40                          ' 0045: cb 40          PUSH#.L    VAR+64
      byte  $15                              ' 0047: 15             MARK       
      byte  $35                              ' 0048: 35             PUSH#0     
      byte  $3f,$8f                          ' 0049: 3f 8f          REGPUSH    $8f?
      byte  $37,$61                          ' 004b: 37 61          PUSH#kp    -4 ($fffffffc)
      byte  $d1                              ' 004d: d1             POP.L      Mem[][]
      byte  $2c                              ' 004e: 2c             COGISUB    
      byte  $32                              ' 004f: 32             RETURN     
                                             ' '============================= Method #3: PUB T2 ==============================
                                             ' 'PUB T2
                                             '   byte[hub2] := $F00DFEED
      byte  $3b,$f0,$0d,$fe,$ed              ' 0050: 3b f0 0d fe ed PUSH#k4    -267518227
      byte  $39,$20,$08                      ' 0055: 39 20 08       PUSH#k2    8200
      byte  $c1                              ' 0058: c1             POP.L      Mem[]
                                             '   temp2 := byte[hub1]
      byte  $39,$20,$04                      ' 0059: 39 20 04       PUSH#k2    8196
      byte  $c0                              ' 005c: c0             PUSH.L     Mem[]
      byte  $c9,$80,$84                      ' 005d: c9 80 84       POP.L      VAR+132
                                             '   coginit (0,monitor,monpins)       'relaunch cog0 with monitor
      byte  $35                              ' 0060: 35             PUSH#0     
      byte  $39,$07,$0c                      ' 0061: 39 07 0c       PUSH#k2    1804
      byte  $39,$b4,$5b                      ' 0064: 39 b4 5b       PUSH#k2    46171
      byte  $2c                              ' 0067: 2c             COGISUB    
      byte  $32                              ' 0068: 32             RETURN     
      byte  $00,$00,$00                      ' 0069: 00 00 00    
                                             ' '================================ VAR Section =================================
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 006c: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' byte Stack1(16)
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 0074: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 007c: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 0084: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 008c: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 0094: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 009c: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00a4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00ac: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' byte Stack2(16)
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00b4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00bc: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00c4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00cc: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00d4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00dc: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00  ' 00e4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ' 
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00                  ' 00ec: 00 00 00 00             ' byte temp1
      byte  $00,$00,$00,$00                  ' 00f0: 00 00 00 00             ' byte temp2
      byte  $ff,$ff,$f9,$ff,$ff,$ff,$f9,$ff  ' 00f4: ff ff f9 ff ff ff f9 ff 
                                             ' '==============================================================================
    '========================================================================================================

edited 2012-12-29 04:45
    hinv: A few of us are fortunate to have obtained vaporsilicon - It is a new process that Chip used but came with some restrictions - some of the cogs don't work, so some of us have 1 cog versions with only 32KB of ram and runs at 60MHz. Others have better luck with 6 cog versions but I am not sure if they still have the 32KB ram problem. I also understand they run faster. ;)
    The DE2-115 boards are able to support the full 128k of hub memory and 6 COGs. As far as I know, they don't run any faster, both run at 60mhz. Also, it's not really that some of the COGs don't work. They just aren't there at all on the FPGA version. I found the DE0-Nano to be a perfectly acceptable platform for doing my initial propgcc work and for writing p2load. I mainly switched to the DE2-115 because ebasic was too big to fit in 32k of hub memory. Eventually, once I get the GNU assembler finished, I'll also need the multiple COGs on the DE2-115 board to test loading drivers. It's pretty amazing to me that for only $79 you can buy an FPGA board that lets you get your feet wet with P2 before the chips arrive! Thanks Chip!!

It's great that you're making progress on getting Spin running on P2!
    edited 2012-12-29 13:17
    David: That comment was in jest - "vaporsilicon". Yes I know the other cogs are not in the fpga because they don't fit in the chip used. Thanks for letting me know what the DE2-115 does (I could have looked it up but the thread is quite long now).

It is really fantastic that we can test a single cog on a $79 platform. I think this has to be a first by any company, with or without NDA.

I need to add some leds to my DE0 so that I can test the I/O port with spin. It is simple enough - 8 superbright leds and a SIL resistor network will make this a simple job.