Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hyperllinks in Forum Posts — Parallax Forums

Hyperllinks in Forum Posts

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2012-07-26 14:28 in General Discussion
At the request of a fellow forum member, I'm writing a short tutorial on using hyperlinks in the forum.

Compared to other forums, Parallax made adding a hypertext link a breeze.

Edit (9/10/13): You need to use the WYSIWYG editor to used these instructions. See post #12 for more info. There is a way to add links with the basic editor but that's not covered in this tutorial.

This isn't necessarily the easiest way to create a hyperlink nor the fastest, but I think this method will work with any browser (since not all browsers call "copy shortcut" by the same name).

First I open the webpage I wish to link to in a new tab or new window. I then type my post such as:

Here is a link to my index.

I initially typed the above sentence with normal text. I then click on the tab of the page I wish to link to (my index in this case).

I select the URL (it should turn blue), and then press ctrl-c to copy the URL.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94467&d=1343275779

I navigate back to the my forum post in progress and select the text I wish to associate the link with. With the text highlighted blue as below,
attachment.php?attachmentid=94468&d=1343275828
I then click the "Link" icon from the tools above the editing window (highlighted yellow here below).

hyper3.PNG

The window like the one below will open.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94470&d=1343275855

I click the mouse inside the long empty box (with URL text above the box (not in the box)) and press ctrl-v to paste the previously copied URL into the box. I don't make any other changes. I then click "OK" and the hypertext link is complete.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94471&d=1343275869

Once you have created a hyperlink, I think you will agree the forum software makes it darn easy.
1017 x 38 - 4K
153 x 43 - 1K
110 x 44 - 3K
379 x 329 - 9K
382 x 327 - 10K

Comments

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2012-07-26 01:46
    Duane Degn wrote: »

I then click the "Link" icon from the tools above the editing window (highlighted yellow here below).

Duane I don't see where this is. Tried on Google Chrome and on IPod.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-07-26 03:44
    I usually just swipe the mouse over the address with the mouse button held down, hit CTRL C, then go to the forum post I am typing and hit CTRL V. Seems to work fine. Double check after the post is posted by clicking the link.
    edited 2012-07-26 04:43
    Trying to test this on my windows vista laptop. Internet explorer 9. I don't see the "tools" icons anywhere to allow me to make a hyper-link. What am I missing?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-07-26 05:11
    The tools icons are part of the edit windows that pops up when you "Reply to Thread" or create a new thread. They are right above the text box you type your response into. The link icon is a globe with a link of chain in the bottom right corner (it actually looks a bit like a pair of glasses.

The tools aren't a part of the web browser software, they are a part of the web pages the forum software creates. The process Duane described should work on any browser.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-26 07:14
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    I usually just swipe the mouse over the address with the mouse button held down, hit CTRL C, then go to the forum post I am typing and hit CTRL V. Seems to work fine. Double check after the post is posted by clicking the link.

Dr_Acula, The idea is to create a link associated with a word or words. For example, clicking the word "Link" which appears blue in the previous sentence will cause your browser to navigate to my index. I also use the method of just pasting the URL directly in the post. For example here's another link to my index without using the world with a link of chain icon.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135706-Index-Test

I personally like using the hyperlink tool since it allows links to be added to a post without interupting the flow of text.
    edited 2012-07-26 07:21
    Don M wrote: »
    Duane I don't see where this is. Tried on Google Chrome and on IPod.

Don, the link icon has a yellow highlighter arrow pointing to it in the capture below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94484&d=1343312481

As Rick points out, the tools are part of the forum software and only appear when you reply to a post or start a new post.
    1024 x 412 - 46K
  • IroneIrone Posts: 116
    edited 2012-07-26 08:34
    Duane,

I had to go to my settings and change from just a text box to WYSIWYG to get the tool boxes. They showed up and from your information it looks easy.
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2012-07-26 09:18
    Duane
    Thank's for this tutorial, in several of your excellent posts you have a video showing the project working. Could you
    find time to explain the steps to having a link to a YouTube or Viemo video and also setting up a YouTube account to
    do this.

Thank's
    Tom
    edited 2012-07-26 10:03
    tdlivings wrote: »
    Could you
    find time to explain the steps to having a link to a YouTube or Viemo video and also setting up a YouTube account to
    do this.

Tom, I've only used YouTube for posting videos. When I went to sign up for a YouTube account I was told I already had one since I had a Google account.

I'm pretty sure YouTube has some sort of "Sign In / Register" option on most of their pages. I just stay signed in so I'm not sure where on the screen the sign up option is.

Once you have a YouTube account, there will be an "Upload" option at the top of most YouTube pages.

Once you've uploaded a video to YouTube, copy the URL of the video (similar to the way the URL is copied for a hypertext link). From the forum editing window, click where you want your video to be embedded with in the text box.

After you've selected where you want the video, click on the "Insert Video" icon from the tool menu. The "Insert Video" icon is the third icon to the right of the "Link" icon. In the small capture below, the "LInk" icon on the far left of the capture is highlighted yellow. The "Insert Video" icon is the one on the far right (of these four icons). (Sorry for having the wrong icon highlighted, I just reused the image from earlier.)

hyper3.PNG

After clicking the "Insert Video" icon a window similar to the "Link" window will appear. Paste the URL in the appropriate window and click okay.

Don't try to use YouTube's "embed" feature. My attempts to use YouTube's embed feature did not work.

If these instructions aren't clear enough, let me know. I'm just going off of my memory of how to do it. If needed, I could make some step by step instructions like I did for the hyperlink tutorial.
    110 x 44 - 3K
    edited 2012-07-26 10:08
    Irone wrote: »
    I had to go to my settings and change from just a text box to WYSIWYG to get the tool boxes.

That was the problem! My setting was set to Basic.
    edited 2012-07-26 10:16
    Don M wrote: »
    That was the problem! My setting was set to Basic.

Wow, You're right. The Basic Editor doesn't have the tools. I thought I had set my settings to use the basic editor but I must not have clicked "Save Changes".

The problem with the WYSIWYG editor is it tries tp read percent signs as html code. This can be a problem when using binary formatted numbers.

I'm pretty sure you can still add hypertext and video links with the basic editor by you have to use the BB tags (I'm not sure if that's what they're really called). I think I'll switch back to WYSIWYG myself. I miss the tool bar.
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2012-07-26 12:32
    Duane
    Thank's for the info, I do not need for you to do a detailed step by step.

Tom
    edited 2012-07-26 13:09
    Duane,

I believe a code would be the only place you would need that, let's try it out.
    1      'eight is my favorite number

So why did I use seven? There is no sence being an idiot unless you show it.
    edited 2012-07-26 14:28
    Well, that did not work, I will try the standard setting.
    %111      'eight is my favorite number

My binary is still wrong! We will see if this works.