Erco's Figure Eight Challenge

Comments

• Beautifully done, Addington. Bravo! Welcome to the winner's circles.

And thanks for a timely bump. Any other takers?
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • @Addington - great job! Welcome.
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • The semi-autonomous 2018 Nissan Leaf's very first maneuver at its September premiere was... you guessed it, a Figure 8! Tragically, there was a driver at the wheel. Jump to 3:00.

Nissan is bringing this car to my house on Nov 15 for a test drive. My girls are hoping for an autonomous "go directly to frozen yogurt shop" button on the dash.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Erco, Whit,

Thank you for welcoming me to the club. I'm honoured!

• The Parallax forum and Whit's Episcopal church are two of the most welcoming places you can find. :)

http://roboticsunderthestole.blogspot.com/

- Pablo Picasso
  • Nice video on an R/C buggy using encoders for long range odometry. The builder shows methodical calibration to run a square figure 8 on a basketball court!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Rocky the Robot bangs out the first Figure 8 of 2018! This thread is 6 years old in February and still gets me going.

- Pablo Picasso
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 377
    edited January 8 Vote Up0Vote Down
    XedkA8l.gif
    Excellent Job on Rocky, and he only uses one servo!
  • That is AWESOME! I love the drumbeat quality too. What a great bot, pal!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • erco wrote: »
    Nice video on an R/C buggy using encoders for long range odometry. The builder shows methodical calibration to run a square figure 8 on a basketball court!

Thanks for posting this, pal. Shared on my blog to preserve it for reference! You da man.

Whit+

• Erco el virtuoso, Pablo Picasso would say........
  • Love the Rocky video! He is a real "Rock Star" with a funky beat.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

"Rocky marches to the beat of his own drum..."

"Spin! Rocky, spin!"

"He will, he will Rocky you!"

rocky-statue-900vp.jpg
    587 x 391 - 102K
    Whit+

Thanks, it's actually the "Canoe Step" we used to do in Boy Scouts for Indian dancing. BUM bum bum bum BUM bum bum bum

- Pablo Picasso
  • My friend's dog (a meat-space robot) can do a figure eight while at "heel." Does that count? Shall I post a video?

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Heck yeah, if Martin can post his robot arm drawing a figure 8 (in Forth IIRC), then man's best friend can play too. Bring on the leg weaving!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Oh, never mind. His dog's not that talented! Maybe in another year of training ...

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Rocky rocks! What servo is moving all of that mass around so easily?
  • Rocky should get its own Pixar movie. Maybe a nice addition to WALL-E 2 or something like that.
    I would imagine Simone Giertz would get a kick out of Rocky.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Rocky rocks! What servo is moving all of that mass around so easily?

The whole thing weighs 9 oz, easily moved by an HXT900 9g servo.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1427890/#Comment_1427890

- Pablo Picasso
  • It's only 9 ounces because there ain't much inside. Heathkit's Hero Jr. was mostly a hollow shell, that left an indelible mark on me.
    2560 x 1440 - 1M

- Pablo Picasso
  • What else can you teach to Rocky?
    pLUOxG8.jpg
    Any com port in a storm.
    Floating point numbers will be our downfall; count on it.
    Imagine a world without hypothetical situations.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,256
    edited January 16 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I am curious where the bot is going to find an outlet on the moon?
    Jim
  • And even if it finds an undersea outlet, will it have the right voltage & travel adapter?

- Pablo Picasso
  • @mikeologist: Rocky has lots of potential, but I'm swamped now, he will have to wait after New York Toy Fair in February. Will I get to meet Publison Jim this year? :)

- Pablo Picasso
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    I am curious where the bot is going to find an outlet on the moon?
    Jim

Doesn't need one, just a solar panel for power and shade. Of course the long dark period would call for a sleep period or a very large capacity battery.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,004
    edited February 9 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Compulsory Figure Eight (in honor of the Winter Olympics) with BlocklyProp and the S3 - Dick Button eat your heart out!

http://blockly.parallax.com/blockly/editor/blocklyc.jsp?project=25985

Whit+

• For those too young to remember - this is why it is called "figure" skating!

Whit+

• Bravo, Sir Whit! I was watching the couples skate last night, the men tossing their parters spinning overhead, and I was reminded of one of my own forgotten bots...

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco,

Okay... I jumped! I had forgotten that bot too! What does the cat think of that?
    Whit+