Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MakerBot Build Log + Prop Control Discussion - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

MakerBot Build Log + Prop Control Discussion

123457»

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-11-27 16:42
    It appears that the problem I'm having is a bad 75176 chip (RS485 transceiver) on the motherboard. I've ordered a replacement chip, which should be here tomorrow. 'Will probably substitute an LTC485 for the '176. The '176 chips are really old, power-hungry technology. I'm surprised anyone still uses them.

-Phil
    edited 2012-11-28 15:54
    'Just replaced the motherboard's 75176 with an LTC485. That seems to have done the trick. I'll know more when I get it all buttoned up and try to make something later this evening.

-Phil
    edited 2012-11-29 15:05
    'Got everything working again with the latest firmware. I can't say I'm impressed with the accelerated builds, though. They're totally sloppy. The ends of the shorter segments all have little boogers attached. But, worse, the steppers lose steps from time to time, and everything gets shifted.

So I went back to non-accelerated builds. The build quality is much better except that, now, not enough of the material is withdrawn from the nozzle during slews, and everything is connected with spider web strands.

Also, the extruder motor fan does not run any more.

-Phil
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-11-29 15:33
    There is an extruder hold feature that need to be turned on. That may help. Did you go through and make all the changes in the slicing profile?

I lost steps once when trying to print at 100mm/sec so I limit it to 80 now. My fan still works as before.

I do get the fine threads but I think that is mainly due to using 3mm filament. When I finish off my existing supply I will switch to the 1.75mm stuff.
    edited 2012-12-03 23:29
    This is my solution for more than doubling the build space of my Thing-O-Matic. From 120mm x 120mm x 110mm to 240mm x 150mm x 125mm. Most of the expensive parts will be reused. The major things that I have ordered are longer belts and longer rods.

In order to keep the moving mass from increasing too much I will be using aluminum rods for the X axis and I will redesign the Y stage. It (the moving parts) might even end up lighter than the original. The casing will definitely be heavier, not just because it is bigger but because it will be cut out of heavier material.

I was going to upgrade all the bearings (and I still might) but I decided to try to reuse as many parts as possible first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97512&d=1354605832
    717 x 673 - 110K
  • livefree1981livefree1981 Posts: 3
    edited 2014-06-14 18:42
    Hi there I know this is a really old thread, but I recently purchased a old thing-o-matic and after Sailfish upgrade it prints amazing.
    But I do find it really small and thought about expanding the build space but there is nothing online except the one picture here.
    Have you figured out how to expand it or has there been issues with say firmware or moving to much mass with increasing the build space.
    edited 2014-06-14 22:51
    Sorry to say that I don't have those answers. Since I obtained a FlashForge Creator (Replicator clone) the motivation for completing my expanded Thing-O-Matic has evaporated.
    edited 2014-06-14 23:20
    Rich,

Can you elaborate a little more about your experience with the FlashForge Creator? Is it more appliance-like than the Thing-O-Matic? iOW, do you still have to fiddle with things like platform leveling, nozzle-height calibration, etc.? Or can you just print and go?

I'm open to another 3D printer, but I don't want another widget that I have to spend more time adjusting than printing.

Thanks,
    -Phil
    edited 2014-06-23 21:27
    well its a shot in the dark but its exactly the way I invisioned making it bigger myself would you still have the files you made on this or is the photo all thats left?
    edited 2014-06-23 22:13
    Sorry Phil, I didn't see your reply till just now.

The FlashForge is pretty good machine. When you consider the price, it is an excellent buy. They cloned the original MB Replicator so any software that runs on it will run on the Creator. MakerWare has worked really well for me. You'll still need to do a bit of fiddling, but not nearly as much as with the TOM, and the prints are quite a bit better. I leveled when I first got it, there is a routine you follow via the LCD, and since then I have re-leveled only once that I can recall. It is print and go for me. I use MakerWare to load the file onto an SD card, move the SD card to the printer, start the print, then leave. I remember only once that I was dissapointed upon returning. I know one time the filament jammed but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I am sure there have been more failed prints but the succesful ones far outweigh the fails. Oh, I remember now, I have had some problems on some large prints. Can't really blame the machine for that, it is the nature of ABS. After a couple centimeters of print height the temperature difference will cause the object to warp and release from the platform at the corners. That's why I am looking forward to seeing how a fully enclosed printer performs.

My son is going to get the Flashforge Dreamer in a couple weeks, you might want to wait and see how that works out for us, I mean, him. The Dreamer looks quite appliance-like and it is fully enclosed which should help with larger ABS prints. For now, I would recomend the Flashforge Creator over any of MakerBots offerings except maybe for the Replicator 2X, only because it is enclosed and is the only one that they recommend for ABS, the others are PLA only. If the Dreamer ($1,300) lives up to it's claims, then it will blow away anything MakerBot has, value wise.
    edited 2014-06-23 22:15
    well its a shot in the dark but its exactly the way I invisioned making it bigger myself would you still have the files you made on this or is the photo all thats left?

I do have the files and even some rods and belts that I purchased just for it. I will upload it to Thingiverse...
    edited 2014-06-23 23:09
    thats great thanks look forward to seeing what you got accomplished.
    edited 2014-06-23 23:57
    thats great thanks look forward to seeing what you got accomplished.

Don't expect too much, there is quite a bit left to do. Here it is: http://www.thingiverse.com/Big-O-Matic