How are you powering your Spinneret?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,080
edited July 2011 in Accessories Vote Up0Vote Down
I'm simply curious how folks are powering their Spinnerets.

Since my Spinneret is near my computer, I'm using 5v/Gnd from the computer's 3.5 connector to power the unit using the three pin connector.

OBC
<br>
Tagged:

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited June 2011 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have one of the Power Supply Daughterboards plugged into the Spinneret:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/motherboard/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/470/Default.aspx

The power connections do not work directly with the Spinneret unless you modify the jumpers on the daughterboard. I was going to do that and then I got lazy.

The power on the daughterboard is supplied to the 3-pin headers (e.g., for servos). I run a short jumper cable (with only two conductors, +V and GND) from one of those headers to the auxiliary serial header on the Spinneret (J6, next to the RJ45 jack).

Edit:

I knew this had been discussed before. There are more details on using the daughterboard here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127160-Powering-up-your-Spinneret-without-releasing-the-magic-smoke.&p=954301#post954301
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 19,523
    Since I've got a different daughterboard plugged into the Spinneret, I power mine from a spare BOE via one of the servo ports and a cable going to the Spinneret's three-pin header.

-Phil
    “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” –Muhammad Ali
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,017
    Servo port and a re-purposed Motorola Phone charger

"Irony hides in the deception of your current view of the situation" - The Parallax Effect

Without a specific deadline, that "essay" will always be perpetually 95% complete. Time to set some deadlines !!

Beau Schwabe
    Metallurgical Machine Design and Development Engineer

www.Kit-Start.com
    bschwabe@Kit-Start.com

www.BScircuitDesigns.com
    icbeau@bscircuitdesigns.com
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    Servo port and wall-wart.
    Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple. Woody Guthrie
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 5,789
    Waayyyy too many batteries! It looks like it's time to hook something up to the servo port.
    MOV OUTA, PEACE <div>Rick </div><div>"I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!"</div>
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 4,527
    I use 9-volt batteries also, and it does goes through them pretty quickly.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,197
    Stand-alone: Repurposed chordless phone walmart, it gets HOT.

In multi-prop testbed: from Pro Development board Vin
  • JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
    edited July 2011 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I created "Power over other Pairs" See this thread of my Spinneret design contest entry. There is more detail in this blog post.

It's not POE power over ethernet. It's power near to ethernet. I think that PNE or PNtEwould be a better name than Power over other Pairs for this project.

I will be using a Parallax serial LCD that uses 5VDC 50ma with light on or 10ma light off and a Sensirion Temperature/Humidity Sensor 2.4 to 5.5 VDC 30 μW so I decided to power it with 5vdc on pins 2 and 3 of J6. As I understand it in this configuration 5v will be the signal level on J6 pin 1.

Basically I plugged a DC wall wart into unused pairs in some CAT5 on one end and on the other terminated in a low profile box with a 5v regulator and filtering.
    PooPOpenedUpReSizedAgain.jpg
    PooPbuttonedUpReSizedAgain.jpg

I used the schematic for the Spinneret to select the filter caps. I'm doing 5v where the Spinneret schematic section is doing 3.3vdc. I'll appricate any comments on values.
    PooPSchematicReSizedAgain.jpg

After reading a few entries in this thread I've decided that if I add the proposed addition I'll put the 3.3v regulator in series with the output of the 5v regulator rather than in the configuration shown.

Questions:
    • Are the 10uf caps acceptable for the 5v regulator filtering?
    In this configuration supplying 5vdc regulated to pin 2 of J6
    • Can I run the serial LCD from pin 1 of J6?
    • Will the signal level be 5vdc on J1 pins 7 - 10?
    Thanks.
    1024 x 690 - 45K
    1024 x 937 - 100K
    1024 x 1102 - 129K
    Jeff Albrecht - jeffa KF7CRU aka @jhalbrecht
    Business: www.iea-software.com TMI on Me: www.rodaw.com

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
    -- Eubie Blake, on his 100th birthday
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited July 2011 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Same as phil: BOE, extention cable, and 6V wall wart.
    " 'I hate my code' is the developers version of 'Do I look fat in this dress?' " Quote by Kelly Sommers