Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Autonomous (Counter-based) 32.768 KHz Crystal Oscillator — Parallax Forums

Autonomous (Counter-based) 32.768 KHz Crystal Oscillator

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2011-04-27 07:48 in Propeller 1
This is a little experiment I did to see if I could come up with a system-clock-independent 32.768 KHz timer. It uses a standard watch crystal, some resistors and caps, and a Prop counter in a Pierce oscillator configuration:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80585&d=1303682905

I originally tried to build it on the Prop Demo Board's solderless breadboard, but got only sporadic results -- no big surprise there, due to all the stray capacitance and inductance. So I rebuilt it on some perfboard, and it seems to perform reliably. I don't claim to have done any phase-shift analysis to come up the the R and C values. I threw some stuff together and probably just got lucky.

Here's a scope trace:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80583&d=1303682282

Notice the hash at the edges of CTRA Out. This occurs as CTRA In crosses the logic threshold. The direct negative feedback via the 10M resistor causes some oscillation at this point before the crystal circuit regains control of the feedback loop. For this reason, it is not possible to count the edges of CTRA Out without first low-pass filtering them. That's what the 5.1K resistor and 200pF cap, which feed ctrb, are for. (BTW, the duty cycle is not 50% due to scope probe loading on CTRA In. If I remove the probe from there, CTRA Out reverts to a 50% duty cycle.)

Here's the program I used to test the oscillator, with ctrb set up to count positive edges:
CON

_clkmode       = xtal1 + pll16x
   _xinfreq       = 5_000_000

CTRA_IN      = 0
   CTRA_OUT     = 2
   CTRB_IN      = 7

OBJ

sio   :       "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB  Start | t, c0, c1

sio.start(31, 30, 0, 9600)

ctra := %01001 << 26 | CTRA_OUT << 9 | CTRA_IN
  dira[CTRA_OUT]~~
  ctrb := %01010 << 26 | CTRB_IN
  frqb := 1
  repeat
    t := cnt + 1000
    waitcnt(t += clkfreq)
    c0 := phsb
    waitcnt(t += clkfreq)
    c1 := phsb
    sio.dec(c1 - c0)
    sio.tx(13)

The program worked with all crystal/PLL modes as well as rcfast. However rcslow is too slow for this scheme to function properly. With the crystal modes, the program output alternated between 32760 and 32761. (FullDuplexSerial does not work with rcfast.) In all modes, my HP (Agilent) frequency counter registers the output at 32.7632 KHz, which is accurate to 150 ppm. I trust this figure more than I do the Prop output, since the latter is dependent upon the accuracy of the 5MHz crystal.

With a 32.768 KHz input, ctrb will roll over every 131072 seconds, or 36.4 hours.

-Phil
640 x 480 - 28K
333 x 307 - 2K

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-04-24 16:22
    Nice effort Phil. This would be great with free pins.
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2011-04-24 16:53
    Hi Phil;

I have similar needs myself, but I plan on using the inexpensive TI MSP430 for that purpose. Plus I get a true watchdog, and (with some '430 assembler) a bunch of I2C/SPI RAM, more I/O all for a slight bit more cost.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2011-04-24 17:03
    What can it be used for, I was hoping for a low power mode.
    Can all cogs be put in sleep mode, and counting still happen?
    And wake up when counter overflow etc.

P.S the TI430 still needs an external crystal in low-power mode to keep accurate time.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-24 17:20
    tonyp12 wrote:
    Can all cogs be put in sleep mode, and counting still happen?
    No. The cog with the timers must remain active. However, the system clock frequency can be reduced to save power without affecting the oscillator's frequency.

-Phil
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2011-04-24 18:31
    The cog with the timers can also be sleeping in a WAITPEQ or WAITCNT which really drops its power consumption.
    edited 2011-04-24 19:00
    If you put the cog with timer to sleep with waitpeq.
    Could you set up phsb so the when it overflows,
    it will wake up the cog at specific time interval.
    I guess you would need to use an additional pin?

Could be usefull to have a prop wake up once an hour or once every 24 hours etc.
    and still have accurate time down to 1/10 second.
    edited 2011-04-24 19:05
    tonyp12 wrote:
    Could you set up phsb so the when it overflows, it will wake up the cog at specific time interval. I guess you would need to use an additional pin?
    Unfortunately, there are no counter modes that take an input and produce an output when the counter overflows.

-Phil
  • Andrey DemenevAndrey Demenev Posts: 377
    edited 2011-04-25 05:12
    Unfortunately, there are no counter modes that take an input and produce an output when the counter overflows.

-Phil

Why not? Output PHSA[31] to a pin, use it as CTRB input, output PHSB[31] to another pin, and use WATP[EQ|NE]. Not impossible although eats 2 pins
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2011-04-25 06:23
    Why not? Output PHSA[31] to a pin, use it as CTRB input, output PHSB[31] to another pin, and use WATP[EQ|NE]. Not impossible although eats 2 pins
    Maybe it's too late over here, but which counter mode would that be?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,900
    edited 2011-04-25 06:30
    Very neat Phil.
    How low a frequency can the system clock be?

Sometimes I think about dropping the PLL from X16 to a lower value to save power...

(BTW: I have code called "PropTime" that can turn a 32-bit value into a time string, just like CTime.)
    edited 2011-04-25 07:06
    It worked at pllx1 with a 5 MHz crystal and with rcfast. Those are the two lowest frequencies I tried.

-Phil
  • Andrey DemenevAndrey Demenev Posts: 377
    edited 2011-04-25 08:07
    kuroneko wrote: »
    Maybe it's too late over here, but which counter mode would that be?
    It's too late here :) Of course, there is no such mode.
    edited 2011-04-25 08:25
    Cool. RCSlow with external time crystal could be very useful for power saving apps that need time...
    edited 2011-04-25 08:29
    Oops! Pre-coffee screw-up here. I meant rcfast. It does not work with rcslow. Sorry.

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-25 08:37
    That's fine. I think I'd use RCFast anyway, so it could do something marginally useful while it was sleeping...

Wait a minute... I think RCFast is faster than PLL 1X, so I suppose I'd use PLL 1X.

BTW: I'd like to make a Prop wristwatch one day and this could definitely be useful for that.
    edited 2011-04-25 09:21
    So using max waitCNT would be the only way to put the cog to sleep.
    It wakes up ever 54 seconds and check phsb and either immediately
    go back to sleep or run a specific program routine, should still save power.
    edited 2011-04-25 09:46
    I noticed that the oscillator had trouble starting with a 3.57 MHz clock frequency. So I added some code to give it a kick at the right frequency:
    CON

_clkmode       = xtal1 + pll1x
       _xinfreq       = 3_579_545

CTRA_IN      = 0
       CTRA_OUT     = 2
       CTRB_IN      = 7

OBJ

sio   :       "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB  Start | t, c0, c1

sio.start(31, 30, 0, 9600)

frqa := frqVal(32768, clkfreq)
      ctra := %00100 << 26 | CTRA_OUT
      dira[CTRA_OUT]~~
      waitcnt(cnt + clkfreq)
      ctra := %01001 << 26 | CTRA_OUT << 9 | CTRA_IN
      ctrb := %01010 << 26 | CTRB_IN
      frqb := 1
      repeat
        t := cnt + 1000
        waitcnt(t += clkfreq)
        c0 := phsb
        waitcnt(t += clkfreq)
        c1 := phsb
        sio.dec(c1 - c0)
        sio.tx(13)

'-------[ Tracy Allen's frqx Calculator ]------------------------------------

PRI frqVal(a, b) : f      ' return f = a/b * 2^32, given a<b, a<2^30, b<2^30
      repeat 32                           ' 32 bits
         a <<= 1
         f <<= 1
         if a => b
            a -= b
            f++

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-25 11:44
    By using an external clock with xinput, I've been able to go as low as 250 KHz for clkfreq and still get a reliable startup and continuous oscillation. At this frequency, there is quite a bit of phase jitter, but I have not seen evidence of cumulative count errors. Below 250 KHz, things start to get dicier. At 150 KHz the oscillator continuously starts and stops. This is not difficult to understand, though, since the 32.768KHz period is ~30usec, and the ctra output updates every 6.67usec. So it would be easy for the "kicks" from the counter to get out of phase with the crystal.

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-26 08:55
    Phil, I've always seen identical C values on either side of the crystal. Is this circuit different in some way from those?
    edited 2011-04-26 09:10
    The cap choice was a total fluke. It came about because there was a stray 47pF cap in my 220pF drawer, and I didn't notice that when I first used it. It worked reliably, so I left it there -- just stupid luck. But in general, no, the caps are often not the same value, at least in the circuits I've seen online.

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-27 01:28
    Phil, what about having the counters also generate a 1 Hz output on some pin, is that easily done in the same cog?

Not really sure what I'd need if for, just curious...
    edited 2011-04-27 07:48
    There's not a counter mode that will do that. It would require program support.

-Phil
  • Sorry to necro this 2011 thread, but I think it is intriguing enough to be noticed by others again (Phil has a habit of posting interesting stuff), plus I actually have some comments to make [with no guarantee of their usefulness].

First, thanks Phil for another clever idea.

1. The instability crossing the threshold is typical of a feedback resistor that is too large of a resistance. You may not need the filtering network at all if you reduce the value.

2. Using the counter-with-feedback as an inverter forces the oscillations to be phase aligned with the system clock, as the counter outputs can only change on rising edge of the system clock. As long as the crystal frequency is much lower than the system clock frequency, this probably won't affect the crystal frequency too much, as it just appears to be an inverter with a "gate delay" of one system clock.

3. The one system clock delay can be a significant amount of added phase shift at higher crystal frequencies; a higher frequency crystal might not oscillate reliably, or at all. Replacing the resistor in series with the crystal, with an equivalent-reactance-at-frequency capacitor C=1/(2*PI*Freq*Ohms) may help in this case.

4. Beware of over-driving the crystal, especially the low-power tuning-fork 32.768 kHz watch crystals. Buffered outputs have several orders of magnitude more gain than an unbuffered output used for the typical crystal XOUT pin (example: 1,000 vs. 20). The resistor in series with the crystal usually needs to be larger; I'm surprised you are not seeing clipping at 10K, as I would have expected 200K-300K or more with a watch crystal.

For oscillator reliability, it is always best to test the worst case: lowest supply voltage + highest temperature. Best case is highest supply voltage and lowest temperature.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    First, thanks Phil for another clever idea.

1. The instability crossing the threshold is typical of a feedback resistor that is too large of a resistance. You may not need the filtering network at all if you reduce the value.
    To remove that, you need to guarantee that there is a single edge (or stable number of edges), and given the low slew rate here, that's unlikely.

The filter Tau is quite similar to the Xtal node, so it may be possible to omit the 5k/220pF and simply connect CTRB to the 10k/220pF. Same pin count, but saves 2 parts.
    4. Beware of over-driving the crystal, especially the low-power tuning-fork 32.768 kHz watch crystals. Buffered outputs have several orders of magnitude more gain than an unbuffered output used for the typical crystal XOUT pin (example: 1,000 vs. 20). The resistor in series with the crystal usually needs to be larger; I'm surprised you are not seeing clipping at 10K, as I would have expected 200K-300K or more with a watch crystal.
    Yes, you can kill tuning fork xtals with over-drive.
    Most RTCs run low-amplitude oscillators, around 1v p-p.

The circuit is interesting, but a 5-10MHz crystal is likely to be more stable than a 32.786KHz watch xtal, so this has most appeal for something like Ceramic Resonators.

TXCOs are getting cheaper, smaller, and lower power, but they are in a different region than Prop Xtals.
    (eg ASVTX-11-121-19.200MHZ-T 2ppm VCTCXO at 1.8mA is under $1)