Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My first PCB — Parallax Forums

My first PCB

MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
edited 2011-01-28 12:59 in General Discussion
Now that N&V has finally paid though, I can do something I've always wanted to do: Get a PCB made!
I've had this design in my toolbox for a while now, and have been waiting until I could afford to get a run of them made. It's a module for the Propeller Chip (what do I make WITHOUT a Propeller chip anyway??) that is compact, uses all through hole parts, and is designed to work off of a battery. Since the point of it was to be as small as possible, it doesn't include any power converters or regulators. The headers are set up to be compatible with Gadget Gangster protoboard modules, although due to the limited width, only if all the connections are on one side. I've attached images. I'll be sending these boards off soon. If anyone has any advice beforehand let me know.

Propeller Mini Dev.jpg
448 x 733 - 120K

Comments

• zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2011-01-24 15:59
    Hi Microcontrolled,

It would be great if you could post the schematic for the PCB, its hard to tell if the board layout is correct without the schematic.
    I don't see any filter caps on the PCB, you need them.
    Is the PCB a single sided board?,
    From what I can see in the picture, I think it is.
    Is the the stuff shown in green silk screen marking.
    The marking for J7, J8, J9 is located on top of pads.
    Is the picture showing the solder side or component side of the PCB.
    The parts labeled U3 and U4 don't appear to be Integrated Circuits so they probably should not be labeled "U"

Regards,
    zappman
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-01-24 17:02
    Microcontrolled,

Is there another side?

I don't see a way to program it with a Prop Plug. I also don't see the grounds connected to anything.

Plus what zappman said.

Think of the size it could be with a surface mount Prop. They are not that hard to solder.

What happened to your video Prop idea? Is this going to have any way of outputting video? I suppose you could have a small secondary board that plugs into some headers.

Have you decided who you'll have make it? I think SparkFun's BatchPCB is amoung the cheapest for small orders but I think they are kind of slow.

Duane
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-01-24 18:14
    Um... yes, there is another side, but for some reason it isn't in the image....

I forgot about the video idea, and SMD props would really cut down board space. Maybe this calls for a redesign.

I'm using BatchPCB to get them made. This one passes the test and according to them it only cost $8.75 to make! I think I'll resubmit it after I optimize the design, though.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2011-01-24 18:24
    Shouldn't either U1 or U2 be flipped left to right? It appears that they are meant to be mounted back to back on opposite sides of the board. In that case the one mounted on the back is going to be mirror-reversed, but your image shows the square hole pin 1 marker on the left for both of them.
    edited 2011-01-24 20:06
    localroger,

It looks like U2 (I assume the EEPROM) has been mirrorred. The right four pins are all joined where normally the left four pins are joined (and connected to ground).

Duane
    edited 2011-01-25 17:34
    UPDATED: It's now the Graphics Slave!
    And the advantage to using all surface mount parts is that it's decreased the board space, and the price, by half!

Images attached of top AND bottom. I have this uploaded and checked by BatchPCB.

GraphicsSlaveBottom.jpg
    GraphicsSlaveTop.jpg
    365 x 485 - 35K
    365 x 485 - 60K
    edited 2011-01-25 20:18
    Microcontrolled,

I'm pretty sure it's recommended to have 0.1uF decoupling caps close to each Vdd pin.

I'd also suggest pull up resistors on both the I2C data on I2C clock lines. (I think the data line is required.)

Is J5 for an upside-down Prop Plug? (I have one of those on one of my homemade boards but it wasn't purposefully upside-down.)

I looks like R1 - R3 would benefit from being turned 180 degrees.

What are J2 - J4 for?

I personally would rather have different pins connected to J1 since P30 and P31 are used in J2. I'd actually like to have a lot more pins available.

Duane
    edited 2011-01-26 10:21
    @Duane Degn: I have rebuilt the board to meet your specs. Some of the parts had to be changed around, and the jumpers for leaded resistors have been removed. It now gives access to pins 0..11, 16..26, 30,31. The vias and traces are all over the place, but I eventually got the parts positioned so that autorouter could connect to them all. If this is approved, I'll export the gerbers and have it checked by BatchPCB.

Before I order these, I'm going to have to find an effective way to solder SMD parts.
    edited 2011-01-26 10:22
    Here is the board images.

GraphicsSlaveBottom1.1.jpg
    GraphicsSlaveTop1.1.jpg
    536 x 530 - 87K
    536 x 530 - 106K
    edited 2011-01-26 11:12
    Microcontrolled,

I like this board more than the last one. I still don't see any decoupling caps.

I'm no expert. I've played with Eagle a bit but I've never had one of my boards made. (I have etched a couple at home.) Someone with more experence will probably have more useful suggestions. I do see several 90 degree turns in your traces on the back side of the board. Apparently these can cause problems with high speed communication (and many people seem to think they look bad).

One of the crystal traces moves to the bottom of the board without any apparent need. It could take a relatively direct route to the crystal.

I'd imagine J1 and J6 are spaced at some multiple of 0.1". I hope so because it would make it easier to use with perf board or possibly a breadboard.

At least add the decoupling caps before having the board made.
  • PliersPliers Posts: 280
    edited 2011-01-26 11:30
    Is there a ground plane?
    If not, there should be more fat commons.
    Yes?
    edited 2011-01-26 13:18
    I forgot about the caps. It looks like I'll have to rearrange the components again, as when the caps are added autorouter can't connect everything. The 2 sides are separated correctly so that they will fit in the breadboard (I hovered a header turned 90 degrees between them, and made sure the holes lined up). I'll try to get the caps and a ground plane added.
    edited 2011-01-26 13:39
    Is this acceptable?

GraphicsSlaveTop1.2.jpg
    582 x 538 - 106K
    edited 2011-01-27 03:46
    From what I've read (here on the Prop forum), the decoupling capacitors are supposed to be very close to the Vdd pins.

A good location to place a capacitor for the top Vdd pin is right where the characters "U1" are located. I've also read each Vdd should have a decoupling cap so three other capacitors should placed so one is close the each of the other Vdd pins.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm just relaying advice I've seen other forum members (who are experts) give concerning other Propeller custom circuit boards.

I'd use the tiny 0603 size 0.1uF capacitors to save space.
    edited 2011-01-27 10:28
    Here are the updated, and hopefully final, designs. Tell me what you think.

GraphicsSlaveBottom1.3.jpg
    GraphicsSlaveTop1.3.jpg
    402 x 646 - 62K
    402 x 646 - 91K
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-01-27 11:11
    I like it! Are you going to open source your design?

OBC
    edited 2011-01-27 11:13
    This is much better (in my opinion).

I assume J5 is for a Prop Plug? If so, the Prop Plug would need to be plugged in upside-down.

The trace to the negative side of C3 sure takes the scenic route.

As Pliers mentioned earlier, Often ground traces are made wider than the rest of the traces. On the Propeller Proto Board Just about every area of the board not being used some other way has the ground extended to it. I don't know how much you need to worry about the ground plane or fat ground traces on your board.

I really do think you should fix the Prop Plug connection.

What program are you using? I'd assume it's either Eagle or DipTrace?

I think you're getting close to having a useful board.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-01-27 11:47
    Always route critical nets like power/ground and clock first, and make them as short and direct as possible. Use wide tracks for power and ground. Then route the other nets, starting with the shortest ones and leaving the longest ones until last.
    edited 2011-01-27 11:59
    @OBC: Yes, I'm open source. I'll release the files as soon as I send off for the board, so that way I know it's the final one.
    @Duane Degn: I've always assumed that you inserted the Prop Plug sticker down, and that the other way was wrong! That's how the PE kit does it, anyway.

I'll see if I can get the copper pour working or not, then I'll post that version for verification then off it goes!
    edited 2011-01-27 12:17
    OK, here is with the copper pour. Tell me if it's better or worse.

GraphicsSlaveBottom1.5.jpg
    GraphicsSlaveTop1.5.jpg
    403 x 644 - 77K
    403 x 644 - 99K
    edited 2011-01-27 12:21
    Nope. Sticker side up. That's the way it is on Proto Boards, the Propeller Backpack and any other Propeller board I've seen using a Prop Plug (except one home made one).

You're right (I just looked), it is upside down in the PEK instructions. I asure you everwhere else it's used rightside-up.

Edit: I haven't looked at the latest one yet.
    edited 2011-01-27 12:26
    I think the it looks cool with the ground plane added.

I promise the sticker should be rightside-up.
    edited 2011-01-27 12:44
    Well.... that's a problem. I've already plained, routed, and set the board design so I would have to undo everything to flip it around
    edited 2011-01-27 12:49
    OK, it's confirmed: all the previously saved versions of the file have it routed with no way to undo it. I would have to start from scratch if I wanted to flip the header around, so I guess it will have to stay where it is.

BTW, I am using DipTrace
  • LaenLaen Posts: 1
    edited 2011-01-27 22:40
    OK, it's confirmed: all the previously saved versions of the file have it routed with no way to undo it. I would have to start from scratch if I wanted to flip the header around, so I guess it will have to stay where it is.

BTW, I am using DipTrace

Bummer!

How is it flipped? If it's upside down, I suppose you could just remember to plug the PropPlug in upside down with this rev of the board..
    edited 2011-01-28 09:45
    You could always mount the headers and video connector on the underside, then you could still mount it to a breadboard since the surface mount components are flat.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-01-28 10:30
    MIcro,

Before submitting your design, you need to do a couple things:

1. Remove any groundplane segments that are not connected to anything. (The software should have done this for you.)

2. Check to make sure that you have connectivity among all your ground pads. It's not clear from your images that you do. (The software should warn you or produce an error if this is not the case.)

-Phil
  • novarmnovarm Posts: 17
    edited 2011-01-28 12:33
    1. Remove any groundplane segments that are not connected to anything. (The software should have done this for you.)
    In copper pour properties (right click on the border / Properties) see island removal option.
    2. Check to make sure that you have connectivity among all your ground pads. It's not clear from your images that you do. (The software should warn you or produce an error if this is not the case.)
    See Verification/Net Connectivity Check.
    edited 2011-01-28 12:59
    GraphicsSlaveBottom1.6.jpg
    GraphicsSlaveTop1.6.jpg

These have everything done to them requested since my previous post.
    403 x 645 - 69K
    403 x 645 - 94K