Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SIDcog - The sound of the Commodore 64 ! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

SIDcog - The sound of the Commodore 64 !

Comments

• Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2010-10-27 10:08
    @6581
    I am REALLY interested in seeing some videos of this in action. :)

"- Attached MCP3208 8-Channel 12-Bit DAC..."
    Didn't you mean ADC ?

"Hey, do you have any spin code or video? Sounds great!"
    I don't have any video, but you can have the source code if you want to.
    I didn't finish it due to an irritating bug and because of too little spare time. :(

/Ahle2
  • base2designbase2design Posts: 78
    edited 2010-10-27 10:35
    I'm definitely interested in the source code. I'm learning lots from the great work of you and others here!
  • 65816581 Posts: 132
    edited 2010-10-28 04:03
    Ahle2 wrote: »
    @6581
    I am REALLY interested in seeing some videos of this in action. :)

"- Attached MCP3208 8-Channel 12-Bit DAC..."
    Didn't you mean ADC ?

"Hey, do you have any spin code or video? Sounds great!"
    I don't have any video, but you can have the source code if you want to.
    I didn't finish it due to an irritating bug and because of too little spare time. :(

/Ahle2

Yep, I mean the MCP3208 ADC. I was thinking of a DAC because
    I was doing a wav player using a MCP4922 DAC.

Sure! I'd like (and probably others too) to see your source code!
  • 65816581 Posts: 132
    edited 2010-10-30 12:36
    I'm just working on "something" SIDcog based.. Guess what it is.. :lol:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=950024#post950024
  • JLSJLS Posts: 76
    edited 2010-10-31 06:40
    Hi all

SidCog is very great project - many thanks this

Please is possible help me make example SidCog and StereoSpatializer spin code ?

Many thanks
    edited 2011-04-20 10:08
    SIDcog version 1.0 is in the OBEX. :)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-04-20 10:44
    Hey Ahle2, I know you are swamped with various projects, but how about creating an AppNote for this?

OBC
    edited 2011-04-21 07:22
    I have been pondering that for a while.
    Does it need to be torough??
    What should be included?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2011-04-21 08:56
    I would love to see programming examples to create interesting sounds -- like the train you did last Christmas. Most of the SIDcog demos are playing music but there is no methodology demonstrated for the creation of that music. Still, I think most of us would be happy to add interesting beeps and boops to our programs, so the creation of music is not a big deal.
    edited 2011-04-21 09:19
    Speak for yourself there JonnyMac! <SMIRK> :)

Yes, he's right, bleeps and bloops are what most will want..
    Still being able to generate some easy tunes for games might appeal to a few as well.

OBC
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-04-21 09:21
    Speak for yourself there JonnyMac! <SMIRK> :)

Yes, he's right, bleeps and bloops are what most will want..
    Still being able to generate some easy tunes for games might appeal to a few as well.

OBC

Are you talking about algorithmic composition of original tunes or just playing MIDI encoded files or something like that?
    edited 2011-04-22 13:19
    To make an appnote about how to make basic bleeps and bloops shouldn't be too hard.
    It will however be a lot harder to make a pedagocially written appnote for how to make a music player routine that takes advantage of all the features of the SID.
    It took almost 10 years for music routines to take advantage of ring modulation, oscillator syncronization, full envelope support and full filter support.
    When people began to take advantage of these features, it became obvious how much more advanced the SID actually was compared to its competitors.
    If you listen to most C64 tunes prior to 1988, they sound almost more like AY38910, NES or Pokey.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-04-22 15:21
    Thank you for posting SIDCog and the AYcog objects! I'm using the SIDcog object on one of my robots and want to experiment with some of the sounds it can make. Any examples of making odd sound effects would be helpful. I've learned a bit from the example programs but still have a lot to learn. For me using SIDcog to make authentic sound effects from old games, etc is one of the reasons I was drawn to it. Since it is emulating the chip I suppose the next step is to find some good Commodore links that had program examples showing what codes and data was fed into the SID chip to make all the fancy sound effects. With that we should be able to use the Prop to send the same codes to SIDcog.

Robert

Does anyone happen to have some links to some Commodore sites with SID chip programming examples?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-04-25 06:32
    I did a bit of research on the web and found some good links about the SID chip used in the Commodore 64.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_SID

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue70/101_1_Experimenting_With_SID_Sound.php

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue57/advanced_sound_effects.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEk-eKxgRyU

I suppose the main Wiki entry about the SID chip should be updated to include SIDcog as the Propeller emulation of the SID chip.

Has anyone used SIDcog just to generate sound effects on the Propeller? If so I'd love to see some more examples.

Robert
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-04-25 07:58
    Ahle2:
    You are truly a miracle worker. Any one can play with VGA, it takes a true master to create this level of sound quality. There is a good reason that the SID was so far ahead of its time, truly the work of an engineering deity, producing good sound synthesis is not easy.
    edited 2011-04-25 08:40
    Thanks David.. :)

The SID is actually quite much more advanced than the Paula in the Amiga for an example.
    To play a sample at an arbitrary frequency with an arbitrary volume is quite simple in comparision.
    However the end result when playing back samples impress more people (me too), because it can sound like whatever the sample sounds like.
    So when people are saying that the Amiga had a better sound chip, I actually disagree from a pure technical standpoint. From a pure listening standpoint i totally agree. I love all those oldschool protracker tunes.
    I used to have them playing in the background while doing "serious computing" in Workbench.

Cheers
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-04-25 08:57
    Ahle2 wrote:
    I love all those oldschool protracker tunes.
    I used to have them playing in the background while doing "serious computing" in Workbench.
    I still have them playing in the background while doing serious computing in Workbench, ScalOS, or Wanderer :) . No wonder Amiga refuses to die.
    With out question though the SID is technically the superior sound chip.
    edited 2011-04-25 11:53
    Here are some of the books I used for reference for the Synth project.

Compute's Beginners Guide to the C64 Sound
    http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/books/pdf/Compute's_Beginners_Guide_to_C64_Sound.zip

Commodore 64 Sound and Graphics
    http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/books/pdf/Compute's_First_Book_of_64_Sound_and_Graphics.zip

Heck, I shouldn't post it, but the whole resource is excellent:
    http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/books.htm

OBC
    edited 2011-04-25 12:29
    Wow, you knew about this site and didn't say anything until now?
    Shame on you OBC!!!! :depressed: :surprise: :confused: O_o -_-

;)
    edited 2011-07-12 14:38
    I have uploaded a new video of SIDcog. (This was done mostly to test my new compact camera with 1080p video capture)
    Tomorrow I will upload a clip of Retronitus as well. :)
  • megaionstormmegaionstorm Posts: 178
    edited 2011-07-23 04:32
    Nice, this sidcog !

Who can i find a schematic for the sidcog circuit ?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2011-07-23 05:00
    megaionstorm: Welcome the the prop forum.

Do you realise it is all done in software on the prop? The only thing required is the sound output circuitry (unless that is actually what you meant)

Prop Audio-Out.JPG

IIRC Ahle also said 100 ohm & 0.1uF works fine too.
    545 x 103 - 8K
  • megaionstormmegaionstorm Posts: 178
    edited 2011-07-23 05:05
    Yes, i only need the sound output circuit.

I work with a p8x32a on a breadboard.

On what p8x32a pin must i conned this sound output circuit ?
    edited 2011-07-23 06:19
    I am not sure. It is probably documented in the source file.
  • AntoineDoinelAntoineDoinel Posts: 312
    edited 2011-07-23 13:21
    Yes, i only need the sound output circuit.

I work with a p8x32a on a breadboard.

On what p8x32a pin must i conned this sound output circuit ?

Hi megaionstorm, welcome to the forum.

When you start the SIDcog object you can indicate two pins for output, like this:
      sid.start(leftpin, rightpin)

You can also use -1 to indicate that you want no output for left or right side (SIDcog, like the original SID is monophonic anyway).

Since you're using a breadboard I guess you can choose any pin, so it's best to use the lowest possible (you can search the forums for a full explanation, doing this should result in slightly better quality output).

Attach the circuit that Cluso99 posted to P0 (pin #1 in a DIP propeller) and change the code that starts the object to:
      sid.start(0, -1)

Regads
    Alessandro
    edited 2011-08-15 13:29
    I saw the winning C64 demo from the "LCP 2011" demo party that was held between 5-7 august here in Sweden.
    One of the tunes from that demo stood out from the rest. It probably is the coolest SID tune that I have ever heard. I just had to test how well SIDcog could reproduce it.

Here is the result: DesertDawn.zip

Here is a video of the demo recorded with an emulator but with live audio from the actual party. (The tune starts playing at 8:00 in this video)

(Remember that the reverb from the big party hall affects the sound in the video)
    edited 2011-08-23 11:57
    SIDcog version 1.2 is out.
    Download it from the OBEX!

Changes in version 1.2

- Increased ADSR accuracy (Almost perfect now; The famous ADSR bug isn't implemented though)
    - Increased Noise accuracy (As close as we will get without decreasing the sample rate of SIDcog)
    - Fixed a bug when no waveform was selected
    - Decreased the "max cutoff frequency" a bit to fix aliasing issues
    - Made some small optimizations

As far accuracy goes, this is a major release!

/Johannes
    edited 2011-08-23 17:37
    Thanks Johannes :)
    edited 2011-08-23 20:06
    Thanks!!!! -OBC
    Ahle2 wrote: »
    SIDcog version 1.2 is out.
    Download it from the OBEX!

Changes in version 1.2

- Increased ADSR accuracy (Almost perfect now; The famous ADSR bug isn't implemented though)
    - Increased Noise accuracy (As close as we will get without decreasing the sample rate of SIDcog)
    - Fixed a bug when no waveform was selected
    - Decreased the "max cutoff frequency" a bit to fix aliasing issues
    - Made some small optimizations

As far accuracy goes, this is a major release!

/Johannes