Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Capacative touch sensor for a VERY large object? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Capacative touch sensor for a VERY large object?

13»

Comments

• GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-08-17 22:51
    Im a little stuck right now trying to mount the laser module
    I basically have this now :
    200698164242.jpg

The front comes off and it is threaded, so I can pinch a washer in there which I could weld to something... Thats about as far as Ive gotten
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-08-17 23:21
    you could use a hose clamp or really small U bolts. Or drill a proper sized hole in a plastic or delrin block and glue it in if it isn't a press fit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2008-08-18 00:02
    Hadnt thought of clamps or ubolts.

Sounds good, now I just need to come up with an adjustable mount.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-18 06:58
    I had a similar problem with the Parallax Datalogger. Darn thing doesn't have mounting holes, and yet you have to be able to shove and pull a thumb drive in and out. Anyway, I had a breakthrough and mounted it on a U angle iron (aluminumn) with two holes on either side of the datalogger. I put a bolt though, and had two neoprene washers on each bolt. The washers go above and below the datalogger, and then I tighted the bolts so it wouldn't slip. It's rock solid.
    edited 2008-08-18 20:01
    I like that idea better. Get a u channel I can put this in, use a bolt to clamp the top, pinching it. Then, bolt the back end of the channel to the mount, and use a screw on the front to force the channel away from the mount, then an arm up the side with a screw in it to force the channel away from the arm. Just use the flexibility of the channel as the adjustment.
    edited 2008-08-18 20:16
    13598_.jpg

A ~1.25" L Bracket, A ~.5" L bracket welded to the bottom, some small channel, a few bolts and nuts, and im good [noparse]:D[/noparse]
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-19 00:42
    Looks sort of like the old style of attaching lamp glass to the mounting: use three thumb screws and tighten in successive circles until you get the glass firmly fixed.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2008-08-20 19:27
    There's a easier way to do the laser mounts - if you haven't built this yet. Consider putting them into PVC pipe. (Grey electrical, or white plumbing.) It can be made waterproof easily, you can glue on·a 90 elbow, and drill through that for the mount (same shape as yours above), fit on a lense, hide the wires, etc. Plus, you can tap it for the adjustment screws... just slip the laser barrell into the pipe and have two pairs of screws. One pair for up and down, the other pair for left-right. Set the barrell in the center of the pipe with four opposed screws towards the back - like a christmas tree stand on it's side. If the screws slip, just cut little slices of a smaller diameter pipe to wedge in-between the barrell and the inside of the outer pipe, drilling a little indentation on the side of the insert for the set screw to run into and seat.
    You can make these with hand tools. I cranked one out in about ten minutes. (Sorry, if my camera wasn't on the Fritz, I'd upload a shot.)

RE: IR Lasers -·I found it was very difficult to line up an IR laser - 'cause I'm blind in the IR spectrum X-)· So,·I put a visable one in first, with·the mount fixed, lined it up to the target, and backed out the set screws just enough to get an IR laser of the same barrell diameter back in. It was close enough to register.

cheers,
    - H

PS. if the IR doesn't work as a countermeasure, consider a CO2 laser ... it'll punch a pin hole·right through 'em. jumpin.gifskull.gif
    Legal Disclaimer - I'd didn't really say that nono.gif ]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buzz Whirr Click Repeat

Post Edited (CounterRotatingProps) : 8/20/2008 7:42:29 PM GMT
  • edited 2012-03-24 15:34
    I am not sure if it will be suitable for your needs but it is worth testing it. You can try using mTouch CSM modules inside Microchip MCUs.
    they can measure capacitance change less than few fF. yes it is FEMTOFARAD :)
    you can read about them here
    http://www.electronics-base.com/index.php/featured-components/62-measurement/155-complete-guide-through-mtouch-capacitive-sensing-by-using-csm-module-inside-microchip-pic16f707-microcontroller