Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for used Ping sensors — Parallax Forums

Looking for used Ping sensors

JimGJimG Posts: 84
edited 2009-12-29 11:27 in Accessories
Budgets are a bi_ch!·· I am looking for some Ping ultrasonic sensors that are used that people would like to sell.· I can't afford to buy more at the full retail so I thought maybe I could find some used ones that you guys aren't using any longer and would like sell to recover some of your investment in them.

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Jim, K6JMG

www.spinochio.com

//

·

Comments

• CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2009-12-23 01:56
    You know, if you're willing to do some wiring, the transducers can be had for about $5-$9.
    The great thing about the PING))) is that it's so nicely packaged and wired for interface.

Jim-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent!
    Send $1 to CannibalRobotics.com.
  • JimGJimG Posts: 84
    edited 2009-12-23 02:10
    Cannibal,

I like the packaging. Everything elese on my bot id a maze of cobbled together stuff so it's kind of·nice to have something that looks professionsal on it.· I am not using them with a Parallax bot, I am experimenting with a homebrew piece of iron. I am driving the Ping with an Arduino.

Now that you brought this up, I may want to experiment with a single tranmitter and multiple reciveers at some point and loose parts will be mandatory then. Do you have a vendor name for the transducers?

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim, K6JMG

www.spinochio.com

//

·
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-12-23 04:13
    CannibalRobotics can I ask where I can get them?? thanks I see ultrasonic transducers it that the same thing
  • sailman58sailman58 Posts: 162
    edited 2009-12-24 12:43
    Parallax makes a kit for the Boe-Bot that mounts the Ping on a servo so that 1 ping can cover approximately 180 degrees. If you have already fabricated your own bot, the additional bits and pieces to mount a Ping on a servo and the servo on the bot should be doable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron aka sailman58
  • JimGJimG Posts: 84
    edited 2009-12-24 18:12
    Ron,

They will absolutley work if I decide to go that route.· I am going to try several sensors pointing different directions for what I am doing.· The rotating sensor will work great as long as one is not interested in too much speed.·

·Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim, K6JMG

www.spinochio.com

//

·
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-12-25 12:49
    The cheapo ultrasonic transcievers seen on ebay can be used as switches. Simple on and off signal only. Good for detection objects but not ajustable. They are motion sensors. They don't give any distance feedback readings as the ping does either. The ping is more complicatted device from what I have seen so far.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-12-27 22:30
    Thanks prettybird
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-12-28 10:07
    @prettybird sounds like the ping, a simple on/off switch. aside from the electronics on board to generate the chirp and detect it, all it does is send a pulse and wait for an answer with the time in between showing the distance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-12-29 11:27
    Electronic circuitry makes the difference in the world. The cheapos just have an on board transmitter and bring a solid TTL signal back to the stamp. No LED indicator either. Notice the price difference?