Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Temp monitoring device (what the best one to use) — Parallax Forums

Temp monitoring device (what the best one to use)

Tim UTim U Posts: 9
edited 2009-12-28 14:57 in Accessories
Hello,
········ I am desigining a system that requires the operation to monitor the tempature of cooking oil and display the readout on an LCD using the Basic Stamp along with the BOE.·

·········Can someone advise what would be the best temp sensor to sink in the oil that will do the job with good accuracy?· The temp range would be up to approx 500 ~ 550 degrees F.

········ Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tim

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-03 15:15
    Take a look at the thermocouple kit from parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-03 15:29
    You will need some kind of sheathed type K thermocouple for use in cooking oil, probably a stainless steel tube around the thermocouple where it is actually immersed in the oil. Do a web search for "type K thermocouple" for some manufacturers.

The Parallax thermocouple kit uses a 1-Wire interface which the BS2 can't handle. You'd need a BS2p/pe/px for that. The MAX6675 (www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3149) uses an SPI interface which the BS2 can handle.
  • D9WD9W Posts: 6
    edited 2009-12-28 14:49
    I have used this in a Plumbing project and it works great >>
    3XK90.JPG
    It's called Copper Immersion Well and you can find it at Grainger Industrial Supply or any plumbing supply (I doubt you will find this at Home Depot© or Lowes©). Also for those who are doing plumbing projects for solar heating, or trying to take a temp of your boiler water supply or return, or any hydronic heating systems, this works great. Warning: If you do use the Thermal Grease with this: don't wear your good clothing when doing the install- it really does get all over the place.
    ·
    So here's·the web site you can find it·at >> http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3XK90?Pid=search.
    ·
    I am new here, so I am not sure the legalese when describing something outside of Parallax and it’s usage, so here’s my take on CYB>> · I have no claims on this part, and this information is only for information purposes only, and has no reflection on Parallax or Grainger Industrial Supply what so ever. Liability of proper use of said item is the responsibility of the end user; any questions about said product should be directed at the manufacture of said product or a license plumber. (Though I will be happy to share my experience using this item and the all the fun things I found· to uses·this item with in a·Hydronic Heating systems, and how I found the best way of making sure you get the most accurate measurement when using a Immersion Well.)
    ·
    With that all said and done, it’s pretty hard to screw this immersion well up. My only suggestion is that you should use some type of plumber tape or Teflon pipe dope that’s compatible with your installation when threading this item into any National Pipe Thread (NPT) (that comes out of my experience using this well and making a mistake of hack sawing though it and my sensor because I forgot to use Teflon Tape on the threads, and had to disassemble my project). What I mean when I say “compatible with your installation” if it is going to come in contact with food or drink make sure the plumber tape or Teflon pipe dope or Thermal Grease will not leach anything into what you’re going to eat- that’s just about being safe. If I was using this with a Food application I would forgo the Thermal Grease because install could contaminate a food contacting surface. ·
    Hope this was helpful.
    -David·
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2009-12-28 14:57
    i have worked in the food industry, industrial maintenance/electronics for over 20 years, and i can tell you as far as a sealing medium, teflon thread sealing tape wil be ok, just make sure its not of the coated variety. Teflon is a standard sealing medium used widley in the food production industry. there is a food grade anti sieze thats used for sealing purposes...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4JB57?Pid=search

·it's basically a teflon suspended paste with an inert carrier. it is a little more expensive than regular antiseize·and does tend to harden up at higher temps, like 7-800 deg f. there is another type for·food contact·that does very well at higher temps, but it is made out of silver,·and is very expensive.

Post Edited (kf4ixm) : 12/28/2009 3:15:28 PM GMT