Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Signals from multiple sensors question! Same serial line — Parallax Forums

Signals from multiple sensors question! Same serial line

Jimbo30Jimbo30 Posts: 129
edited 2009-11-10 23:47 in Accessories
I am not to sure, but from what I remember I need a multiplexer (and Demultiplexer)·in order to receive two signals on the same serial line, correct?· For example, I have a temp sensor for the kitchen and another for the bathroom and I want both signals to come in on the same comport at different intervals of course.··Only one computer port can be used (RS-232) for what I am doing.·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-10 23:47
    You need some kind of "party-line" circuitry any time you have more than one device transmitting at the same time.· For cases where the PC is sending information to more than one device,· you don't need any special hardware since there's only one transmitter.· There are special hardware drivers that provide for a "party-line" as long as only one device transmits at a time.· A lot depends on the specifics of your sensors.· Some signal protocols like I2C and 1-Wire are already designed for "party-line" use where each sensor has an address.· With 1-Wire, you can actually have a hundred temperature sensors on one connection and there are interfaces to either RS232 or USB available.