Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR sensor to dry-based contact input — Parallax Forums

PIR sensor to dry-based contact input

JudgeDr3ddJudgeDr3dd Posts: 1
edited 2009-08-05 23:46 in Accessories
Hello All,

This is my first post, I found a parallax PIR sensor at Radio Shack the other day and picked one up to play with. and I am trying to hook it into a dry-based contact input, that normally requires a common wire to indicate if the circuit is "closed" or "open". and minimal if any voltage is required.

I am supplying 4.5 vdc to the sensor, and when I hooked up my multi-meter to the "OUT" and "-" it reads 0 when no movement, and 3.3v when it senses motion. however when I connect the sensor leads to the the contact input pin, and the negative "-" to the common pin the sensor just flashes "closed" for 3 seconds, then goes to "opened" for 1 second. and keeps cycling the same way.

Sorry I don't have a diagram to make my post more understandable if its not clear.

Any ideas would be helpful.

I can ultimately hook it up to a analog input and have it monitor for voltage change but I'm trying to do that as the last resort.

P.S. my project is nothing fancy, just trying out the PIR sensor for motion security purposes first.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-08-05 23:46
    You may want to measure how much current the PIR is required to source when it's high. A transistor to increase that might help.

If that doesn't help, a diagram or picture might help.