Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping))) Stand — Parallax Forums

Ping))) Stand

EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
edited 2009-08-03 14:26 in Accessories
Hey Parallax Guys,

The Ping))) Stand is a great idea but why so short? I found that my Ping))) sensor works best at 7 inches or more off the ground. I would buy the Ping))) stand if it were taller or adjustable to a taller size but for now I will stick to my lame lego stand.

Thanks,

Emily

Comments

• P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-07-30 15:29
    Put something unter the stand to make it higher or make your own. If it's the aluninum stand you are talking about, that is normally mounted on a robot a couple inches up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-07-30 15:42
    As it stands, the stand doesn't have any moving parts (which greatly lessens complexity and increases reliability). There's no reason why you can't mount it higher, either on standoffs or a dedicated platform.
  • yus28yus28 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-07-31 03:04
    hii..does anyone know the resolution for ping)))?..
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-31 18:36
    1) Please do not "hijack" someone else's thread. "Hijacking" is when you ask a question that's not related to the original poster's question or is really marginally related. Among other things, it makes it harder for you to get an answer to your question because people can't find it except accidentally. Start your own thread with your own question.

2) Because the PING))) is tuned to the 40KHz frequency of the sound pulse, it takes something on the order of a cycle, maybe a 1/2 cycle to react to the incoming waveform. A wavelength is about 0.7cm at 40KHz, so figure that the resolution is somewhere around 0.5cm. That's over the full path length (out and back). In terms of distance to the object, divide by two. This is also temperature sensitive, so it will depend on temperature variations in the area and on air currents. The PULSIN statement that measures the width of the logic pulse from the PING))) resolves the time to 2us units.

I may be wrong about the "exact" resolution, but there would need to be a substantial portion of a full wavelength received to get enough energy at 40KHz to detect unambiguously.
  • EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
    edited 2009-07-31 19:04
    Or you can make your own Ping))) stand out of legos.
    1600 x 1200 - 659K
  • yus28yus28 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-08-03 14:26
    I'm so sorry Mr. Mike Green about the "hijack" thing..I just only wanna know the resolution, that's why i don't wanna open a new thread..My fault..Sorry everyone..But thanks for the answer Mr. Mike. I'll open a new thread next time..