Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
car sub amp — Parallax Forums

car sub amp

divinebrickdivinebrick Posts: 1
edited 2007-09-19 14:13 in General Discussion
I was wondering if someone could help me with a little problem. i need to run an Alpine pdx 1.1000 1000w car amp using a standard wall outlet. i know I might be restricted to using it for a short time or a low volume. I need to now what hardware i would need to do this.
thanks

Comments

• Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2007-09-19 09:50
    Basically you need a 12 volt DC power supply.· Are you just wanting to power up the amp for a quick test/troubleshooting?· Or are you wanting it to drive a speaker/subwoofer while on the wall outlet?·

For a quick test, you may be able to use a car battery charger.· I think the amp should power up with at least a two amp supply.· I wouldn't use it for audio, since there will probably be a lot of noise and hum, since the charger isn't designed to output a steady DC voltage.· For a test, may not matter.

Ideally, something like this:· http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2818344&cp=2032056.2818121

If you have a small 12 volt battery, such as an alarm system backup battery, power wheels battery, etc, that may work too.· Make sure to put a fuse in the line from the battery.· Again, should work for power up, but probably not enough current to drive a large speaker.

Sometimes, you may be able to find a larger wall-wart or switching type power supply, look for one at·12 volts DC, at least two amps.· More is better.· A spare laptop power supply may work too.· You may have the same problem as with the battery charger, high frequency noise out of the speakers.· But you won't know until you try.

PS - Any voltage between 11 and 15 volts should work, since car voltages fall into this range.·

Double and Triple check polarity before you plug in the supply!
  • pwillardpwillard Posts: 321
    edited 2007-09-19 14:13
    You can do what this guy did.

http://www.users.on.net/~endsodds/smps.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

There's nothing like a new idea and a warm soldering iron.