Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Measuring Distance Accurately Using Two GPS Receivers — Parallax Forums

Measuring Distance Accurately Using Two GPS Receivers

RuiRui Posts: 1
edited 2007-08-30 02:04 in General Discussion
Hi,

I'm creating a project that involves measuring the distance between a moving and stationary object in real-time. The distances are between 10 and·75 meters.

I've considered using other·methods of·measuring, but no·method seems to work very well... except for·possibly GPS. My idea was to position a GPS receiver on both the moving and stationary objects and calculate distance·as the difference between the·coordinates of the two objects. However, I'm concerned about accuracy. Optimally,·I would want to make the·error less than 2 or 3 meters; I'm thinking that because the two GPS receivers act as somewhat of a differential GPS system that the accuracy can be improved. Taking this into account, would this setup be feasible?

Thank you for your consideration,
Rui

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-08-30 02:04
    As long as both receivers are using the same satellites, you should have some success with this approach. However, the "same satellite" premise won't necessarily always be true. This can happen if one receiver is shielded by trees, for example, or loses or gains a satellite before the other one. Nonetheless, it's worth trying, and I'd be interested in your results!

-Phil