Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gyro's and balancing — Parallax Forums

Gyro's and balancing

AImanAIman Posts: 531
edited 2007-08-09 15:15 in General Discussion
Greetings,

Has anyone used a gyro with any type of acceleromater?

Specificly, how has the combination worked?

Meaning was it worth the time to use both or would it have been better to go with only one option?

Comments

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2007-08-07 00:40
    Accelerometers measure acceleration along a single axis.· If the frame of reference of the accelerometer changes a gyro can be used to determine the new angle.· A complete inertia measurement unit (IMU)· uses 3 accelerometers and 3 gyros.· Check out http://www.sparkfun.com·for accelerometers, gyros and full 6-degree of freedom IMUs.· Click on the link for sensors.· A complete IMU goes for $325 to $450.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2007-08-07 00:53
    I just realized you are interested in "Gyro's and balancing".· In theory, you would only need to used gyros for balancing.· However, because gyros drift some people have used accelerometers to keep the gyros calibrated.· A complete 6-degree IMU is needed for things like rocket, which is what I was thinking about in my previous post.

The following links have some interesting information on gyros.· Check out the links at the bottom of the scooter web page.

http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Sensors.shtml

http://tlb.org/scooter.html

·
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2007-08-07 05:45
    Not to jump in, but I was also wondering if it were possible to make something balance using just an accelerometer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm new to the propeller!
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-08-07 08:50
    bulkhead -

My understanding is yes you can, if you use the accelerometer as a tilt sensor. You need to make sure that you can continuously (or nearly continuously) fetch the readings often enough such that you can respond in an appropriate manner.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2007-08-07 15:17
    I've used the accelerometer a lot on angle/tilt sensors. I don't think it would work for the vibes and impacts it takes during normal movement. Note I haven't tried it, I've just watched the output from other apps. I don't think it would be fast enough.

I have just purchased a $34 gyro (tower hobbies GWS) to try, but it's on a back burner right now. If it works out, I'll buy another one. I think my end project will have three types of sensors. Gyros (2), accelerometer (1) and IR or Ping (2, front and back) angled down for angle control.

My goal is to be able to go up and down ramps. Most units I've seen can't.

HTH, Chris

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm not scared of your robot. I'm covered by Old Glory (youtube)
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-08-07 18:02
    Speaking of balencing and gyros; has anyone ever thought of using a real mechanical gyro to provide the means of balancing instead of just using it as a sensor?

Regards,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Blog: Prog | Electro | Mech

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-09 15:15
    I was thinking of something to use for balance. Kinda like team blue did in the DARPA contest with the mortorcycle