Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using a 5volt wall wart in lieu of a higher voltage and regulator — Parallax Forums

Using a 5volt wall wart in lieu of a higher voltage and regulator

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2007-07-15 15:25 in General Discussion
I have been trying to ignore the availablity of 5v wall warts for quite a while.· It seems that these devices include a regulator within the package.· They claim to be specifically for digital devices.

I finally bought one [noparse][[/noparse]a tiny 600ma device] for about $5USD and I hooked it up to an existing SX28 board that can actually bypass its regulator.

So far, so good.· It has been ticking away for about 6 hours.· I will continue to leave it on for days· in order to see what really happens.· I have high hopes that I can liberate a bit of board space for very tiny applications and devices that will eventually depend on battery power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• pwillardpwillard Posts: 321
    edited 2007-07-10 15:00
    The 5 Volt wal warts are usualy designed to be used with Cell Phones and the like. These do require a better supply voltage regulation, but be warned... I've seen a few of these for cell phones that claim 5 volts DC out that used capacitive coupling and a zener. (No smps or transformer).
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-07-14 14:56
    pwillard,
    I do realize that I took a risk. And yet....
    This particular 5volt wall wart has been running an SX on my desk for several weeks now without a glitch. I do realize that it is nearly impossible to determine what is inside without destroying one, at least some appear to be quite good. I did notice that this one mentions a potential shock hazard, so I suspect there is no isolating transformer.

I have run the 5volts +/- 5% directly and I have also run it through the 7805. Seems to run fine either way. From what I understand, the 7805 needs 7 volts to properly regulate and under that it will pass voltage directly through. Since 5 volts is within safe limits, passing through works [noparse][[/noparse]though I imagine it is less efficient]

My thinking is that more recent ones are likely to have better regulation. A scope is needed for absolute measurement.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-14 15:18
    Kramer,
    These tend to use a switching regulator which would have an isolating transformer and there is a shock hazard if you spill water on them or try to take them apart. In today's environment, I don't think you will find anything that isn't powered by a low voltage battery that doesn't have a claim of being a shock hazard.

I like to use a 6V wall wart with a low dropout 5V regulator. I can always substitute a 4 cell alkaline or a 5 cell NiMH battery for portability (or even a 6V sealed lead-acid battery).
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-07-15 15:25
    My thinking is that I can use a 5v wall wart to safely supply directly to an SX or I can use the same to trickle charge 3AA NiCad with a 0.7 voltage drop. Since regulators generally use 20-30% of the batteries capacity, elimination of the regulator would effectively boost capacity by a similar margin. And there would be a little less weight and board real estate. Also.... Seems the battery would in some ways provide some form of added regulation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔