Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a reasonably priced set of wind speed cups... — Parallax Forums

Looking for a reasonably priced set of wind speed cups...

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2007-07-03 15:23 in General Discussion
so I can build a wind speed indicator.· I have looked around the internet alittle, but those things seem to be a little pricey.· Has anyone personally bought a set of anenamontor (spelling is not my strong suit?) cups that has been satisfied with there proformance with a Stamp?· If so, please let me know what you bought and where.
\\
Thanks...Deno

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-07-03 01:57
    There were several articles by Mike Simpson in Nuts and Volts about weather stations and he had three in one article. This was late last year or early this. I bought one from www.fascinatingelectronics.com that look like they might work but they need some loosening up before they will do as well as my Dallas 1-wire does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2007-07-03 11:51
    Thank you Stephen on the info for the anemometer cups.· By "loosening up" did you mean that the rotation of the cups was stiff and produced inaccurate readings?· Were you able to loosen the cup rotation up so as to free spin easily?

What cups are you using with the Dallas 1-wire?

Thanks again....deno
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,657
    edited 2007-07-03 15:21
    Are you looking for just the cups, or for a complete anemometer? Davis sells their one-piece molded cups for $15. The complete anemometer with vane, cups and mounting bracket is $125 (model 6410).

If you want to go completely DIY and cheap, google "DIY anemometer". You will get lots of hits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-07-03 15:23
    I haven't gotten the code to work with the windvane I'm using so the anemometer isn't mounted yet. by loosen up I mean the cups don't start spinning until the wind is 2 or 3 mph while the dallas weather station (now AAG) turns if there is the slightest breeze. The article I was talking about is in the Feb 2007 issue of N&V.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen