Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xport Breakout Diagram — Parallax Forums

Xport Breakout Diagram

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-07-02 18:55 in Propeller 1
Got my Xport in tonight, and sat down to document it's connection.
(Glad I did too!)

Here's a .PDF that breaks down the connection using the $2.00 Ethernet
breakout board from Sparkfun. www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=716

In the style of my other documentation, it should be easy enough for even a blind person to follow. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

[noparse][[/noparse]Thanks to Tarikh of Uncommon Projects for allowing me to snip a section of his schematic and renumber.]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-26 05:45
    I've noticed something about this unit after playing with it for 15-30 mins, both the
    Lantronix unit itself does get a little warm, but also the two power regulators (on my
    proto board) are also warming up. The power regulators should be able to take a
    little heat, but for longterm use, it looks like some small sinks may be the way to go.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • tarikhtarikh Posts: 10
    edited 2007-05-27 05:34
    Yep, we've had the same experience, our voltage regs get really hot. we've noticed the xport sucks about 200ma of current. FYI, that's about 10 times the current draw as all of the rest of the components on our board combined. We leave the voltage reg oriented off the pcb to give it air and haven't needed to add a heat sink--tho it can't hurt. Also, thanks for the notes on the pin outs, we updated the schematic to reflect the changes. www.ybox.tv/images/ybox-v1.1c-schematic.GIF Apologies for any confusion.

Post Edited (tarikh) : 5/27/2007 5:39:09 AM GMT
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-05-27 09:22
    That reminds me of the time I once helped a professor give a presentation involving some microcontroller circuits he'd made. His "power supply" was a last-minute hack with a 7805 regulator wired in a "free hanging" fashion right into the power cable. He had no heatsink and current draw was high, and the 7805 kept overheating. With no time to get any more parts, I figured out a way to cool his 7805: I stuck the regulator under the tab of a full, cold can of Diet Coke.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-05-27 10:31
    The Xport needs to be connected to a substantial area of copper on the PCB, to act as a heatsink. It's mentioned in the data sheet.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-28 05:05

Xport Interface Board.... Didn't think anyone had created that yet... Do you have one of these, and did they
    address the heat issue by adding some copper on the flip side?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-05-28 15:04
    The XPort V-03 docs (paraphrasing) say the two tabs connected to the XPort shield should have at least 1 square inch of foil (metal) for heatsinking purposes. I would like to know if anyone has similar information for the lower cost XPort-Direct part, which is cheaper (something like $35 USD vs. $49 USD for XPort). XPort-Direct seems to be functionally the same as XPort but lacking the Web-server etc. capabilities of the "traditional" XPort.

I need to prototype the XPort to 0.1" spacing wire-wrap. I thought it would be simple to flip the XPort upside down, hot-glue it to a small piece of protoboard, wire-wrap some pre-stripped wire to the four relevant XPort pins (pre-strip is important), then wire-wrap these pins to some 0.1" single-in-line headers (allows either wire-wrap or plug into a plug-board). But the heat issue came up. Perhaps I'll cut some stock copper into a couple of squares and solder them to the upside-down XPort shield tabs to bleed the heat off.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2007-05-29 23:55
    Oldbitcollector, yea.. they've had that for quite some time.. I've been using the xport for a couple years now.. When I found the one at comfile I bought a couple.. and haven't experienced any heat issues.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-07-02 18:55
    I'm looking at the schematic for the ybox at ybox.tv and as far as I can tell they are using a 5V IR receiver