Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Strange PE Kit Componite — Parallax Forums

Strange PE Kit Componite

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2007-06-28 21:41 in Propeller 1
Because of of some algae problems with my aquarium, I was looking into building a UV sterilizer. While researching this, I remembered seeing what I thought were 2 UV LEDs in my PE Kit. I have never been completely sure, though, as to what they are. I'll post a picture below. It is a very small LED like device with a dark blue (nearly black) translucent case. They do not appear to light up, which is the reason I concluded they were UV. Are they UV LEDs?

Thanks,
Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
My Blog: Prog | Electro | Mech

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-28 17:21
    They are infrared LEDs.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-28 17:23
    Ok. For some reason, I was thinking IRLEDs had to have a clear case (like the other two included in the kit).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
    320 x 240 - 11K
  • edited 2007-06-28 17:30
    Hi,

It's an infrared transistor that can be used in conjunction with the infrared LED. Applications to be released in a forthcoming PE Kit lab.

Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-06-28 17:32
    That explains it, thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-28 17:34
    It's more likely the black cased items are infrared phototransistors. You're right in that there aren't too many IR LEDs with black cases, but having a phototransistor in an IR transparent but mostly visible light opaque case would make a lot of sense. Sorry for the too quick response.
    edited 2007-06-28 17:36
    No problem; but now I have to buy UVLEDs :P.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-06-28 20:16
    Just smoke tested the black one and then the clear one by replacing the power-on led.

Black one doesn't do anything (hope I didn't ruin it).

Clear one is infrared -- which can be seen with a digital camera or video camera. It doesn't show·as red as my tv remotes do.

Worth mentioning: the clear one is substantially dimmer when viewed from the side. It is brightest when you view it along its vertical axis.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 6/28/2007 8:30:24 PM GMT
    edited 2007-06-28 20:19
    Andy Lindsay (Parallax) said...
    It's an infrared transistor that can be used in conjunction with the infrared LED.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-28 20:48
    Doesn't the kit come with a parts list?
  • edited 2007-06-28 21:03
    Graham,

You'll find a link to the parts list here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617192

Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-28 21:14
    It wasn't for my benefit I just thought it was easier to read a parts list than guess or apply power randomly.

Graham
    edited 2007-06-28 21:41
    Graham,
    The reason I asked is because I could not find th part list. Otherwise, I would have just looked at it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔