Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uALFAT Issues — Parallax Forums

uALFAT Issues

RW58RW58 Posts: 7
edited 2007-06-27 18:06 in Propeller 1
Hello, I 've purchased a uALFAT breakout board from Saelig·and am having some issues.· Using fullduplexserial and tv_terminal, I am able to view the GHI firmware/splash screen, but the unit will not acknowldge any commands.·

Any help would be appreciated.· Thanks!·
Rich

The connections I've used are:
uALFAT
1 (UART TX)···· P0 on prop
2 (UART(RX)·····P1 on prop
7 (CTS)·········· Gnd
13 Vdd··········· 3.3v
15 Vss············ Gnd

I've also connected SPI_SSEL# and SPI_CLK to gnd (interface selection) with the same results.

Here is·the sample code I am using:

OBJ
······· term··· : "tv_terminal"
······· kb····· : "keyboard"
······· doc···· : "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB start |· c,d

· term.start(12)
· kb.start(26, 27)
· doc.start(0, 1, %0100, 9600)

repeat
··· c := doc.rxcheck
··· if c <> -1
····· term.out(c)
··· d := kb.key
··· if d <> 0 and d <> $DF
····· doc.tx(d)
····· term.out(d)

··

Comments

• KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-06-27 10:38
    Did you sure that the mode for fullduplexserial is correct with your circuitry you are using?
    By default I would use 0 (zero) for the mode.

Thomas
  • RW58RW58 Posts: 7
    edited 2007-06-27 11:46
    By mode, do you mean the TX/RX inverted and open drain flags?· I have experiemented with different settings using the 4 bit flags (i.e.:· doc.start(0, 1, %0100, 9600)· Doesn't seam to make a difference.
    ·
    edited 2007-06-27 12:01
    I ran through all 16 different modes with FullDuplexSerial with no luck.· I'm guessing it's a schematic issue at this point.· I have 2 units and both behave the same way (will display splash screen, but not acknowledge or execute commands).·
  • tekochiptekochip Posts: 56
    edited 2007-06-27 13:33
    I use the uALFAT with the propeller and the only problem I had was with pins that need to be terminated on the uALFAT.

SCK(5), SPI_SEL(8), and CTS(7)·should be Gnd.

VBAT(12) and VCC(13) should be at 3.3V

5V(18) should be at 5V.

·
    edited 2007-06-27 13:50
    I'm using the Saelig breakout board, so I do not have a 5v pin 18, but other than that I have connected up the pins you've mentioned.· The odd thing is that I can see the banner screen, but it won't accept any commands.· I've enter the BL mode, and the same thing occurs.· Are you inverting the TX or RX via fullduplexserial?· The firmware I'm using is BL 2.03, uALFAT 2.13.

Thanks
    edited 2007-06-27 14:38
    You've got to have the data polarity and baud rate correct, or else you wouldn't see the splash screen from the uALFAT.· Just to double check, use a scope and see if you have data going to the uALFAT.

I don't have it hooked up now, but here's the code I cobbled together to test it, it's ugly, but it was just a test.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2007-06-27 15:57
    Hello,

did you try to send commands from a PC-Comport with a terminal-software ?

make a Y-cable that you can monitor the rx and the tx-data on a PC-terminal-software

............Prop.....PC-Comport
    ....................Y
    ................uALFAT

greetings

Stefan
    edited 2007-06-27 17:30
    Tekochip, thanks for the code. Basically it times out on the GetCode which will result in the "No USB" msg. I modified your code to reflect my pinouts and used the "I" cmd instead of "U". I did find that unless I reset the uALFAT (tie reset to gnd and release), that it will not initialize (display splash screen) at all on power up. Did you need to perform a reset to get it to work once powered up?

I verified via a scope that I am transmitting. Also tried again on 2nd uALFAT -same results!

Stefan, I don't have a level shifter, so for now I'm using the prop-only. Shouldn't make a diff, as I can 'read' the uLFAT ok.

I'd think it was uALFAT itself, but I purchased 2 and both do the same thing (I guess it could be firmware, although no problems mentioned on the Saelig boards.)

I'm using the prop demo board kit, did either of you use any caps/resisters on uALFAT reset or SD_SCK?
    edited 2007-06-27 18:06
    I have the Reset tied to the Propeller's Reset.

No, you don't need a level shifter, the uALFAT works at logic level.