Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
iLCD made by Demmel with Propeller + networking chip — Parallax Forums

iLCD made by Demmel with Propeller + networking chip

Michel LMichel L Posts: 141
edited 2007-06-26 21:49 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I read half te forum and used the search option to find anything about the iLCD made by Demmel but I couldn't find a thing.

I don't yet have a propeller yet but if this question has a positive answer I am sure I will buy some (= multiple).

My questions:

Has anyone or do you think it is possible to connect a propeller to an iLCD (this has an serial interface) www.demmel.com/ilcd/english/panel2412.htm

My second question is about networking. A lot of times is said that it is verry difficult to do networking wit the propeller. But what about this chip: www.wiznet.co.kr/pro_eg_EGSR7150MJ.htm
I am sure it costs a little more (just like the iLCD) but doesn't it simplify the networking to a basic command level?
Is it possible to do networking (ftp of just sort of command-line = telnet equivalent) between propellers and pc's?

Because I don't have a propeller I can not know but has anyone dus something like this before or do you think it is possible (in spin)

thanks in advance

Michel
(Belgium)

Post Edited (Michel L) : 6/26/2007 11:36:02 AM GMT

Comments

• PatMPatM Posts: 72
    edited 2007-06-26 11:44
    Hmm, where did you find those LCDs? Google doesn't list them at any resellers.
  • Michel LMichel L Posts: 141
    edited 2007-06-26 12:14
    www.antratek.nl/index.html

These people sell those iLCD panels but they are only for the Netherlands and Belgium.
    Google had a lot of sites but yet I only found resellers in Europe (UK, italy, Germany,...)

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me an advise about if it is possible and if it wouldn't take to many resourses.

This also for the network module. Because I havn't programmed anything of this size yet (just some simple stuff to try) I don't know how much resources I could expect to be used.

I would like to make a large project of some networked (Lan) propellers with one (switchable) screen, an SD-card-reader on wich .binary files are stored,...
    And this al build in in a aluminium suitcase so you just plug in the electricity and you have a mobile propeller based platform with a lot of free ports. (Just some crazy idea of me).
    If someone wants this I could post some more detailed idea's on it.

Thanks in advance

Michel
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-06-26 14:24
    Michel,

I think it should be quite easy to use the iLCD on a Propeller. You could use one of the drivers for a serial LCD which are available in the forum or Object Exchange.

But for the networking stuff you have to develop all by yourself, while I have none other seen using this module.

FTP or Telnet should be possible but it would be easier if the module would support that.

Thomas
    edited 2007-06-26 18:23
    I have been looking around for to order most of it from the same place and i found that the originaly posted networking kit is not available from the online store that sels both the propeller and the iLCD. But it does sell an equivalent. So i thougth it is good to mension this one also on the forum: www.eztcp.com/en/Products/ezl-70.php and they have some cheaper as well as some more sophisticated prints.

Indication of price: For the one a gave the link to: about 42€ without taxes (from the reseller in Belgium/Netherlands) other resellers can be found on the site of eztcp itself.
    edited 2007-06-26 19:56
    Michel,

this is a nice product, but you will not found code for this in the Propeller forum.

Please have a look at these threads for network hardware which was used with the Propeller.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650641
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650782

Thomas
    edited 2007-06-26 21:14
    I know that source code is not available but the nice thing about my two boards is that you just send serial data towards it and it does all the necessary addings. With both it is also verry easy to just set IP-addresses, port-numbers and other stuff with simple commands (same thing for the iLCD)

Because they all work with a serial interface I just need to use one of the serial objects a couple times and write an object that uses them and that knows the provided commands.

At least, this is what i think i need to do. Can anyone give me a hint if this is the wright way of working in complex systems on the propeller.

First layer is the complexity of the outside (Networking, Screen generating,...)
    |
    | This is done by external chip i buy
    \/
    Second layer is serial communication
    |
    | The simple or advanced serial object that already is written does this conversion
    \/
    Sending command specified by the manufacturer of the first step en passing data
    |
    | A self written object that knows the provided commands
    \/
    Calling simple methods like remoteIP(x.x.x.x) and send(data)

This is propably the way i would do it on a desktop (I am a quite advanced java-programmer) but I wonder if this is also the way on microcontroller-level (I never programmed a microcontroller before, propeller would be my first)
    edited 2007-06-26 21:49
    Michel,

you are on the right way and I think you will not have big trouble on implementing your code. Of course you have to learn Spin.

All network devices which I know are controlled via a serial connection. They differ in the speed of this connection and supported parameters. Another important parameter for me would be the power consumption.

Thomas