Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Request for bespoke programming — Parallax Forums

Request for bespoke programming

Mark KellyMark Kelly Posts: 3
edited 2007-06-26 07:59 in Propeller 1
I am too lazy and stupid to learn to program but I would like to use this chip in a product I am planning. I would like to pay someone to do it for me. If this is not the appropriate place for this request please delete and / or re-direct me.

What I need is someone who can make the chip talk to an AD 9985 DDS and drive an LCD display. If you can do this please PM me

Comments

• Mark KellyMark Kelly Posts: 3
    edited 2007-06-25 09:50
    Apologies for the typo the DDS chip is an AD 9958.

Further info : I am in Australia and would prefer someone moderately local.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-06-25 20:19
    Being German I am not such picky, and it certainly will not be any tricky to connect the bespoken devices to a Propeller. The question however is: Who for heaven's sake would want to do that for what reason????
  • Mark KellyMark Kelly Posts: 3
    edited 2007-06-25 21:03
    deSilva said...
    Who for heaven's sake would want to do that for what reason????

I want the two channel AD DDS as it does exactly what I need - takes a clock signal and puts out two sinewaves of adjustable frequency and adjustable relative phase. It also allows me to ramp to frequency at startup. The frequency is tunable at 32 bits allowing very precise control, the synchronisation is guaranteed to exhibit very low phase noise.

What I want is a nice looking public interface for my customers with a simple and intuitive control and an LCD readout. I also need a couple of relay outputs which are frequency dependent.

I know nothing about programming but would like to learn. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to learn in the time between now and product launch which may be at CES in January 2008.

Why Propeller? I am still hopeful of learning some programming for future projects and Propeller looks to have a good combination of simplicity and power. I'd like to stay with one chip family as that way I hopefully only have to learn one language.

If any of this is wrong or just plain stupid I'm open to suggestions
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-06-25 22:06
    One thing that I suggest is to never start your help request by stating that you are too lazy to try doing it yourself. People here have a tendency to disregard such requests.

As for being too stupid to learn how to program, you're not.

Don't take any of this as being anything but light-hearted, but sincere. If you come across as being unwilling to put any effort into the project yourself, you won't find very many willing to do it for you.

As for your timeframe, you might very well have enough time to work through it on your own, with the help of others on the forum. Six months is a lot of time, depending on the complexity of your project. The more info that you provide, the better people will be able to give solid recommendations.

Post Edited (Kevin Wood) : 6/25/2007 11:54:12 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-25 22:36
    In Mark's defense he hasn't asking anyone to do it out of the goodness of their heart. Commercial reasons may make development out in the open problematic and 6 months is only 6 months if you have nothing else to do within that time.

Graham
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-06-26 00:28
    If the product is to launch in six months, it does not mean you have six months to do the software - a common misconception. The software may have to be done in four weeks and then tested. Maybe it needs to be submitted to an agency (UL or FCC or otherwise) for approvals which could take a month or longer. Then there is ramping up production and packaging and all the issues to go with that.

Once proof of concept is completed and the decision to build the product is made, revised software/firmware can follow, but its priority lags because producing the product is now in the forefront.

Mark - don't be so hard on yourself. I would bet you can learn Spin, but for your commercial project I can understand seeking resources to ensure a good success in getting it done on time and on budget.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-06-26 07:59
    I can't see the point of using a Propeller chip costing $12.95 for this application when a PIC or AVR costing $2 will do the job. Moreover, you should be able to download the software to control the DDS and the LCD for nothing.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle