Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Crydom SSR — Parallax Forums

Crydom SSR

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2007-06-25 16:12 in General Discussion
Seems like Parallax has started selling the Crydom D2W203F Solid State Relay recently.
My question now is

1. How does this product compare with just using a Triac like BT137 and Triac Driver like the MOC3023?
Which is better? Seems like the TRIAC can handle higher currents.

2. Will this SSR have problems with inductive loads like a flourescent lamp with a coil ballast?

3. Can this SSR do dimming?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,530
    edited 2007-06-25 03:08
    Hi William, the solid state relay is a triac/mosfet + driver in one package, load current depends on which relay you buy, the DW2 is on Parallax site I would guess·because its a·component suitable for the RC4 relay board. The DW2 series goes to 3.5A the DW203F is rated 3.0A.

SSR's with higher load currents are available just not suitable for the RC4. Also pay attention to the driver voltage and current as that varies from device to device.

They are capable of switching inductive loads and switch rapidly but not fast enough to dim a light as far as I am aware. At under $12 a fair price.

Jeff T.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,945
    edited 2007-06-25 16:12
    They are absolutely NOT suitable for dimming as the only switch on at zero-cross (to reduce noise on the AC line). And [noparse][[/noparse]uC-controlled] AC dimming requires synchronization with the zero cross for triac gate timing.