Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parrallel Comm — Parallax Forums

Parrallel Comm

bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
edited 2007-06-25 01:15 in General Discussion
Hello,
··· Has anyone used a parrallel interface to communicate between two or more SX Chips.
I have a project that I plan to use a SX48 and an SX28 the SX48 will handle the main program it will utalize both internal timers and an interupt which will hinder the use of the Serin and Serout commands for a stable serial communication and sense I have plenty of I/O pins left over I though of using a parrallel interface between the SX48 and the SX28 then use the SX28 to link to the PC with Serial commands.
What do you guys think I plan to use binary and then convert it to decimal in the SX28 most of the values will be 0-100% readings and some setup parameters from the PC to the SX48.
Has anyone ever done such a setup or is their a better way?
Thanks

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,945
    edited 2007-06-23 20:03
    You can't create a VP structure that allows your SX48 to communicate directly? If no...

What I'd be inclined to do is used 10 pins: 8 for the data buss, 1 for the SX28 slave to tell the SX48 it's busy and can't take data, and 1 for the SX28 signaling there is new data on the buss to be dealt with.

[noparse][[/noparse]Edit] For fun on a Saturday afternoon (exciting life I lead, isn't it?...) I whipped up the attached program. You'll need to test it thoroughly, but I believe it's close if not on. It uses a circular buffer so that the master can pump up to 16 characters into the slave quickly and then get on to other duties.

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 6/23/2007 9:46:27 PM GMT
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-24 18:53
    Thanks for the example Jon. Also what do you mean by VP structure?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,945
    edited 2007-06-24 19:05
    VP = virtual peripheral; like the transmit UART in the ISR in my example. My example has just one VP, but with the SX's horsepower it is possible to write an ISR that supports several VPs.
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-25 01:15
    Thanks Jon for the help.