Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sources of Samples — Parallax Forums

Sources of Samples

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-06-18 18:46 in General Discussion
I thought it might be interesting to create a thread of companies that offer samples of their products.
Not that I'm so cheap that I can't afford $2 chips, but sometimes all I want is a chip or two, and between
paying $5+ shipping to free, free wins every time. Besides, isn't it fun to have someone else contribute
to your hobby? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

PLEASE: If you use free samples, please respect these companies by doing the following:

1.. Be honest! I've found that these giants have a soft spot for students and hobbiests.
2.. Only take what you think you'll eat. I hate seeing obvious samples on Ebay..
3.. Take the time to write up a blog, or other web entry and say something nice about the product.
4.. 00-00 DO NOT ABUSE 00-00

Here are three companies I've found, and some of what I've requested and received.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/ <-- Awesome source of max233 and max3232 communication chips for RS232 interfacing
http://www.microchip.com/ <-- Yeah, they carry PIC, but also those EEPROMS you need.
http://www.intersil.com/ <-- Recently given to me for source of EL1881's for Bean's Video Titler project.

What other companies have you found that are generous about their products?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!

Comments

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-06-15 15:02
    This list (www.ladyada.net/library/samples.html) seems quite accurate.

I personally have only ordered samples from microchip, intersil, and allegro. Most of those companies sent me more parts than I asked for. They really do have a soft spot for students and hobbyists. Just don't abuse them (some people used to abuse National Semi, which lead to some popular devices having samples that cost money).
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2007-06-15 18:30
    Thanks guys! Appreciate this, and I like the write up suggestion. That's a great exchange, particularly if you've got people interested in what you are doing.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-15 18:33
    I received samples from RAMTRON when I was still a hobbyist: www.ramtron.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-06-15 22:39
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    I received samples from RAMTRON when I was still a hobbyist: www.ramtron.com

Really? I requested samples and they didn't even give me a reply to why I was rejected. I clearly stated my purpose and that I am a college student (I also used my college ece email address). Maybe their regional sales offices in Texas are mean and bitter...

Harrison
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-15 22:43
    Perhaps they are more strict with who they provide samples to nowadays, I requested back when they were just starting out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-06-18 18:46
    I've gotten some samples from - www.mill-max.com/

They carry sockets, pin headers, USB connectors and the like. It's never been a hassle to order samples, nice people.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe