Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller OS - VGA Version — Parallax Forums

Propeller OS - VGA Version

Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
edited 2007-06-16 15:14 in Propeller 1
Attached is an updated Propeller OS - VGA Version. There was a bug in the stop routine for the VGA driver where it only stopped one of the two cogs involved in producing VGA video. Thanks to Newzed for using the OS routines and discovering the bug.

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-09-18 21:15
    If you haven't tried Mike's OS VGA program, you really should give it a shot.· His cursor control gives you exquisite control of not only what shows on the screen but where it goes, and the 640x480 resolution lets you display 3 to 4 times more data that you can get with TV or vga.text.· You can toggle the display on and off and his serial stuff lets you communicate with a Stamp without the BS2.functions object.·Right now I have the Prop sending 8 commands·to the Stamp, with the Stamp sending a string response back to the Prop confirming the action taken.· Plus I can request the time from the Stamp's DS1302.· You have to use a 3ms pace command on the Stamp's transmission to the Prop but that is no problem.· And the Prop is also controlling an RFID reader using pins 16 and 17.· All in all, a great program.

Sid

Post Edited (Newzed) : 9/18/2006 9:19:53 PM GMT
    edited 2006-09-18 21:20
    I had to edit my post - you can talk to the Stamp WITHOUT the BS2.functions object.

Sid
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-09-18 21:31
    Newzed said...
    I had to edit my post - you can talk to the Stamp WITHOUT the BS2.functions object.

Sid

Well, that makes me sad [noparse]:)[/noparse]

There's just not enough time in one's life to try out all the cool things being done... about time to set my class loose on it all [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    -MH

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    <a target="_blank" href="http://www.selmaware.com/appbee" target=_blank>AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices for BASIC Stamp, SX's and Propeller!
    edited 2006-09-18 21:39
    Don't be sad, Martin.· You were the first and only one to come up with it in the first place.· And I still use it in my other Prop program.

Sid
  • Chris MerckChris Merck Posts: 55
    edited 2007-06-09 02:48
    Mike, I have been enjoying the OS, and am using your vga_Drive.spin's terminal emulation in my rogue clone. However, I dont see the point of having separate MoveX and MoveY commands, when would you ever just use one, concidering the cursor advances after each output command. Perhaps it would be better to pass both the column and the row desired when moving the cursor? i.e. MoveXY, <X>, <Y>.

Props on the Prop OS! With the addition of TinyBasic it would be a modern C64.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-09 05:13
    Chris,
    There is also a MoveXY command somewhere in the list of commands. I mostly copied the commands from the existing windowed text driver and added a few and changed a few. The MoveX command is there for random access within a single line and the MoveY is there for symmetry. There is a version of FemtoBasic in the package, but that's much simpler than the separate version of FemtoBasic. With the SD card driver and the ability to load and run Spin programs, FemtoBasic is almost enough to use as a simple OS. At some point I will rework the drivers somewhat so that FemtoBasic can be used the same as the Propeller OS with "pre-loaded" drivers and the re-use of the space occupied by the assembly part of the drivers.
  • edited 2007-06-09 18:11
    Mike how does this OS work? is this like DOS or like a GUI? looking through the program it seems like a DOS like OS.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
    edited 2007-06-14 12:25
    Bob,
    This OS is patterned after the kinds of operating systems that preceeded the IBM PC and DOS. These generally consisted of a program loader, basic I/O drivers for a keyboard and display and some kind of mass storage (like EEPROM). They included a simple command interpreter for basic utility functions. If you haven't already, look at the "sticky thread" called "Good thread index (new and improved)" under the section heading for "Propeller OS". You'll find links to 3 threads about the OS.
  • epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-06-16 06:15
    Mike,

What does it take to get the VGA version running on the Hydra? I tried the settings below but right now I'm just getting a blank screen. Are there other things I need to tweak?

vgaPinGroup = 16                             ' Base pin for VGA pin group
      ps2KeyData  = 13                             ' Data pin for PS/2 keyboard
      ps2KeyClock = 15                             ' Clock pin for PS/2 keyboard

edited 2007-06-16 13:47
    Try this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=620700. Note the correction posted 12/13/2006. There may be more recent posted versions, but that is the one I found. It should get you started.
  • epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-06-16 15:14
    Thanks! I searched hard for it and couldn't find it. Sometimes good stuff just gets buried in the forums.

I have sent a PM to Graham to add that thread to the "Good thread index (new and improved) " sticky thread (It was overlooked).