Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any ideas where to get a RCA to 2 pin header plug video cable ? — Parallax Forums

Any ideas where to get a RCA to 2 pin header plug video cable ?

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2007-06-13 19:38 in General Discussion
I'm trying to find a video cable to work with the Prop Dongle boards.
The boards have a 2 pin header (0.1") for the TV output.

Any ideas where I might find something like that ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
“The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.hittconsulting.com
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-13 14:29
    Bean,
    I've always made my own. I've not seen any ready-made. You can usually buy a molded RCA plug with a piece of shielded cable and "pigtail" leads on the other end ... then put your own header on it.
    Mike
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-06-13 18:13
    Bean,

I feel your pain. The header is the best way to keep things small, but there's no easy RCA interface to it. There are lots of RCA cables available that have a 1/8" phone plug on the other end, but 1/8" phone jacks are pretty big. I tried a 3/32" phone jack on my board, but it was of low quality; plus I had to go through an adapter to get to RCA-ville.

My suggestion (which is something I'm looking into myself) is to build a small transition PCB with a header connector and RCA jack. This will be much less assembly-intensive in the long run than stripping cable and installing crimps — and probably more reliable, too. (You could probably just tab-and-perf it to your main board for fabrication.)

-Phil
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-06-13 18:32
    Well I found this http://www.frontx.com/pro/p1062_030.html but at $6.60 it's really expensive.

Phil,
    That is probably what I will end up doing, I was trying to avoid more assembly work...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2007-06-13 19:38
    Bean,

I have used to L-Com.com for industrial and custom cabling.· I checked the web site and I don't see any·cables that terminate in headers, but you might want to check with them about having them made.· The interaction and results I've had with·them·have always been good, but I don't know if they will be able to beat the cost of what you've already found depending on the volume and such.· It may be worth your time to have them·work up a quote for you.

All the best,

Tim