Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
blown up prop chip — Parallax Forums

blown up prop chip

Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
edited 2007-06-05 12:00 in Propeller 1
Any reason why a 14 volt input into a 20K resistor and a 3.3 volt zener to ground would fry the chip?· Or should I look to static electricity as the cause?· Anyone else have problems and fixes for static?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-06-02 16:16
    You're chip may be okay. You're just not providing it enough current: (14V - 3.3V) / 20K = 0.535mA. According to the datasheet, at least 2mA is needed during startup. A smaller series resistor should do the trick for you.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 6/2/2007 4:34:14 PM GMT
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2007-06-02 16:40
    Well its more of a dead chip no response type deal.
    edited 2007-06-02 16:53
    Unless you've also tried it with a different power source, you're not getting a response because you're not providing it enough current, and Vdd is likely below the operating threshold. Also make sure you've got a large filter cap across the zener and adequate bypassing at the Propeller's Vdd pins.

-Phil
    edited 2007-06-02 17:05
    No I mean the chip does not operate at all.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-02 17:11
    Are you saying it doesn't operate at all even when powered from say a 3.3v regulator?

Graham
    edited 2007-06-02 17:12
    How do you know that? What else have you tried besides the aforementioned zener circuit?

-Phil
    edited 2007-06-02 17:20
    Well I must confess that this is a trip computer for a vehicle that I have built for someone else and I don't have it in my possession. I built it driving a parrallell lcd and it has leds on two outputs that indicate whether the program is operating. My friend has tested all the power and the power levels are at 3.29 and the lcd has proper operating voltage but it is completely dead as in no leds flashing and no lcd operation. It may be completely unrelated to the input in question but I am just trying to understand what I need to do different so that I don't keep frying chips as this is not the first chip that I have fried. I have built about 5 of these computers and most of them work with no problems.
    edited 2007-06-02 17:41
    In other instances where you've "fried" chips, does the circuit come back to life when the Propeller alone is replaced?

-Phil
    edited 2007-06-02 17:54
    I have had one other chip totally fry like that.· I had an mcp3208 get zapped (from a·short in the vehicle) and it somehow got hot and took the prop down with it.· I have had a couple or so get·an·input zapped.· But yes the circuit comes back to life with a new chip.· This is what the back of the board looks like if it helps.
    831 x 848 - 122K
    edited 2007-06-02 18:05
    I see several Propeller I/O lines that go offboard without any buffering, filtering, or other protection. This is a red-carpet invitation to "frying" in an automotive environment. Have you considered using optoisolators?

-Phil
    edited 2007-06-02 18:25
    Yes I had considered using optoisolators but I wasn't sure if the speed would be an issue.· I need about 1/10ms resolution for my vss and fij inputs.· Would transistors be a acceptable buffer?· Also I am not sure about how to acceptably buffer my rotary encoder inputs(knob on picture) and my gps inputs on the board.· Any ideas would be appreciated.· I know my design may very well play a part in some of these problems.
    edited 2007-06-02 18:35
    You should have no trouble meeting your timing resolution specs using an H11L1, for example. As to the rotary encoder inputs, if the encoder is mounted in the same housing as the board, you may be okay there. I might still consider series resistors on these lines, though, close to the Propeller chip, to guard against induced voltage spikes.

-Phil
    edited 2007-06-02 18:55
    Thanks for the ideas.
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-06-02 19:12
    A common source of fried circuits is reverse polarity. Someone hooks it up backwards, it doesn't work, they flip it around and it still doesn't work because it was just fried. But they may forget what they had done (or they may just not mention it to you, Erik). My friend puts a diode across the power inputs to his circuits. That way, it doesn't drop any input voltage out of the circuit, but if connected backwards the diode now conducts and shunts all power to ground, blowing a fuse. In your case though, you could certainly just put the diode in series, because you don't care if it drops .7 volts, when you are already dropping volts to get to 3.3 anyway.

I would not use a zener and resistor if I were you. Regulators are not that expensive and much safer. You may be blowing out your voltage-drop resistor that you are using to get power through! I didn't see any power resistors on your board and your power input resistor is going to disspate some heat. Even though you are not drawing much current, you are dropping lots of volts, and that adds up fast. For example:

Let's say you have a 13.3 volt input. You are getting 3.3 volts out, so your input resistor is dropping 10 of the 13.3 volts. Now say you are drawing just 50 milliamps. That's 50 mA at 10 volts, which comes out to 500 mW (half a watt). Your surface mount resistors are probably rated for 1/8th watt. "Common" through-hole resistors are usually 1/4th watt. You need at least the big half watt kind, or even 1 watt, to be safe.
    edited 2007-06-03 01:11
    Sorry I didn't mean to be unclear but the 14 volts is going into an input not powering the board.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-06-03 02:15
    Hi Erik, I've just read your first post and I had the idea that you were talking about a SIGNAL input although you did little to correct the obvious misunderstandings sooner.

You didn't mention what the signal was coming from, if it's from the primary of the ignition coil for instance then you are going fry the chip.

There is no problem running a much higher value resistor of around 100K or even 1M in which case you will not need an input zener. If in doubt an NPN to buffer the signal is practical.

*Peter*
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2007-06-03 02:36
    It's probably not static...

Seriously, look into optocouplers. It's not just the LED at left and phototransistor at right combinations, although those are typically the cheapest. You can get a 3.3V CMOS-level output, even with hysteresis. There are even analog (linear) optocouplers. (LOC110 comes to mind, although there are lots of others).

It also wouldn't hurt to have a real chassis ground. I know cars are weird sometimes where they connect the (-) onto the frame and have the current flow back to the battery that way. That is an awful noisy way to complete the circuit.

On your board itself at the power input connector, the Ground would typically be isolated from the Common (-) except for a ceramic cap connecting the two together. (A cap from (-) to (ground) near the board's power input and also a cap from (+) to (-). Any other plug into the board would also have this ground carried out through either a conductor in the cable or though the cable shield where appropriate. It's this Ground, and not the (-) that would locally connect to the frame.

The point is that the current flow from Power (+) should be about that of what's flowing out of Power (-), and Ground to the frame should not really be conducting any current except from static or surges. When driving inductors like solenoids, you actually want the surges to go out into the ground wire and into the chassis instead of the Common.

Have you considered in your circuit any input going below the 0V (Vss) level? Most chips can't handle even -0.5 volt. And remember it's the voltage at the pin, not the current.
    edited 2007-06-03 03:13
    Peter and Erik,

Oh, good heavens! Now that I've reread the entire thread, the comedy of miscommunication is all too obvious. Of course it's an input! It says so right there in the first post. I just had a knee-jerk connection that zener = cheap voltage regulator and launched into a lecture that seemed to get nowhere — for good reason, it turns out. My apologies for leading everyone down the garden path...

D'oh! blush.gif

-Phil
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-06-03 05:06
    Phil

That's what happens when you over-clock your brain...

If I was trying to do as much as you, I'd be a blithering idiot by now...

Come to think of it...

Rich
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-03 09:51
    In your defence Phil the 14v could have been an input to the zener, I did wonder hence my question.

Graham
    edited 2007-06-04 18:26
    My input is coming from the vehicle speed sensor.· Since I am trying to make this work on any vehicle, the reason I chose the zener-resistor method is because I would like to be able to sense what is typically a 5 volt·signal but what can be up to 14 volt signal.· A 40K resistor in line will not pick up my honda oddessy vss reliably.· It takes a 30K resistor.· As to a optoisolator if·I understand it will have to be treated like an led as far as forward voltage and current is concerned thus limiting the·range to a·small window.··Correct me if I am wrong on this point.· As far as the the negative voltage you are talking about I have wondered if that may not be my problem.··Is a negative voltage on an input immediate death to cmos chips?· Or does it just fry the input.· The vehicle I have be trying this on is a 2006 silverado which does not have a standard vss but rather some·other serial data stream coming·from the vehicle computer.· As to·Whickers comments on·grounding, could·you expand on that a little?· I am·unclear·what you mean by·isolating the ground from the common.· If·you look at the board picture on the lower left you·can see that I have the vehicle voltage coming in to a 8 v regulator that has a .1uf bypass cap between ground and·battery voltage.· The back side of the board is a ground plane.··The battery voltage is coming from the radio harness.· ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-04 22:56
    Vehicles are notoriously nasty environments to try to put electronics into, there are short pulses of high voltage which radiate electrical energy onto any wire, and the alternator is one giant inductor which swings the voltage wildly when the engine is shut off. Steps need to be taken to clean up the power supply as well as any I/O wire. Yes a negative voltage will damage a chip, whether it damages just the I/O pin or the entire chip depends on the circumstances. Opto-isolators will help, but I dont know if it will be a cure all. If you are receieving enough current throught the optoisolator it will blow, while it's cheaper to replace than a Propeller, it still results in a nonfunctioning system. Optoisolators are definitely your best first step, if you find they are blowing you may need to place a small inductor in line with the input to block very rapid changes in current, the value would need to be experiementally derived.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2007-06-05 00:42
    I'm speaking industrial-electronics speak when I say "common". I apologize, but it's hard to get my point across when digital electronics calls the common return path "ground".

To power a circuit takes two wires, a (+) and a (-). Think of a battery.

In a car,

(+) = ~14V = Positive = The red wire = "supply voltage"
    (-) = 0V = Negative = The black wire = "common return"

It's convenient to use any sort of hunk of metal as a "Ground", in this case the vehicle's chassis. The connection from the (-) of the battery to this ground is made at the battery terminal. Given that you say your circuit is powered from the radio harness, it's pretty likely that the (-) makes its way through a real wire and not the chassis back to the negative of the battery. This is good.

If you have your project in a metal box, it would be a good thing to connect in some manner this metal box to the chassis of the vehicle. It would be a bad thing to connect this metal box directly to the (-) terminal of the power coming into your board, not saying that you did this... You could put a capacitor between (-) and this "ground" to pass any spikes off to ground. I'm not saying use a metal box, and I'm not saying you have to ground it. But you were worried about static and I was giving a way to solve the issue in my last post.

I am trying to explain in some manner or fashion, that by the time the (-) gets to your board, it can't be considered a "true ground". It is unfortunate that conventional digital electronics calls the common reference or 0V reference, a "ground". The two power leads, the red and black, by the time they get to your board have all sorts of interference and spikes induced on it. They have small but meaningful resistances. Hence voltage fluctuations.

Try this thought experiment: Imagine measuring voltage from one black (-) wire somewhere in the car, to some other black (-) wire in the car. It should be 0V, right? In the real world, it won't always be. Once you understand the issue, that all devices don't have the same exact 0V reference, things should become clearer.

Signal wires, through induction, also get fluctuations induced on them.

As for optocouplers...

Let's say your datasheet says the LED should have a minimum of 2.5 mA flowing through to be considered definitely on. The datasheet also says that the LED will have a forward voltage drop of 1.45V at this current.

If you want to detect a 6V minimum signal, the resistor would be R = (6 - 1.45) / .0025 = 1.8 K

From the datasheet:
    The LED has an absolute maximum sustained rating of 20mA.
    At this 20mA, the voltage across the LED is 1.55V

20mA through a 1.8K resistor gives a delta-v of 36 volts. 36 + 1.55 = 37.55 volts, which is a lot imho. Unfortunately, anything but a 1 Watt resistor is going to get very hot (I squared R). But the point being you can detect reliably a voltage from 6V to 37V or whatever without hurting the LED.

To get even better range, you can add another resistor across the LED in parallel, and adjust the first resistance, so that there is significant current flowing through the second resistor as well as the LED. Just watch out to not overheat the first resistor again.
    edited 2007-06-05 12:00
    Thanks I appreciate your response