Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Annoying little IDE problems — Parallax Forums

Annoying little IDE problems

Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
edited 2007-05-30 21:34 in Propeller 1
I'm using Propeller IDE 1.0 with Hydra (not the one that came on the Hydra CD) and have some annoying (but not really big) problems.
Windows XP SP2, with latest updates.

1. I'm using a Finnish keyboard. You input $-sign by pressing Alt Gr (ie. right Alt)+4. When I do this, I get a yen sign (¥) followed by the dollar sign. When I switch to English layout, Shift+4 works fine - no ¥.

2. Pretty often the serial port stops working: "Unable to open COM3". Restarting the IDE fixes the problem. The serial port is using the USB serial port driver that came on the Hydra CD:

Driver details:
USB Serial port: FTDI, 2.0.0.0, 19.5.2006 (D.M.YYYY) (Seems to be the latest one)
USB Serial Converter: FTDI, 1.0.2176.0, 12.12.2005 (Couldn't find details on this one on FTDI website)

3. Sometimes the whole thing crashes. First File menu contents appear in the status bar (Open from) etc. in BLUE background color. The status bar contents change if I move the caret up/down a line in the IDE. After some time, it displays an error message (something about illegal memory access or access violation or something if I remember correctly) and crashes. Again, everything is fine when I start Propeller Tool again, so this is not a big problem (as long as you save often). But this problem hasn't been occurring lately, not for 2 whole days...

Thanks in advance.

- Jasper

EDIT: Correction... background color was blue, like it normally is, not red.

Post Edited (Jasper_M) : 1/1/2007 9:26:13 PM GMT

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-02 00:14
    I have the serial port problem, It only happens rarely.

I found out that if I start multi-tasking on my win2k machine when loading a program to the Propeller's RAM it will lockup for a second and give me an error. (Then the prop chip resets and loads what ever junk is in the EEPROM)

Basically when I press F10, I don't click around until the program is done loading and that seems to be a 100% fool proof work around.

IDE Version 1.00 doesn't work on my machine anymore ever since I tried out version 1.02 packaged with one of the objects I downloaded here on the forum.

So I just overwrite the directories .exe file with 1.02 and it works fine.
  • GdSisGdSis Posts: 12
    edited 2007-01-02 04:18
    Hi,

Not so important but I want to mention,·copy/paste by ctrl+insert and shift+insert does not work.

I know I can use ctrl+c, right click·etc,·but I automatically use the insert version all the time

on many other edit software mad.gif

Another useful·thing would be a split screen·for simultaneous work on two sources.

Using tool v 1.2 on win xp pro. Othercase·this tool is very solid, so far no serial or usb problems

(maybe·serial/usb problems are power supply related?).

Gus
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-01-02 04:20
    split screen works, drag a tab...
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2007-01-02 12:39
    and sometimes the Object Tree View does not appear even after compiling and downloading to the Propeller.
    I have to minimize the Propeller Tool program and re-maximize the window to see the Object Tree.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2007-01-03 01:16
    GdSis said...
    Not so important but I want to mention, copy/paste by ctrl+insert and shift+insert does not work.

I know I can use ctrl+c, right click etc, but I automatically use the insert version all the time

I agree with that one. From working with past editors, Ctrl+insert and Shift+insert are what my muscle memory reach for.

Also, why doesn't Alt-F4 quit the program? Isn't that a standard Windows key combo?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2007-01-03 20:02
    GdSis said...

Another useful·thing would be a split screen·for simultaneous work on two sources.

The Propeller Tool supports this by clicking and dragging the editor tabs either to the lower part of the editor or out of the tool's window border.· See pages 42 and 43 of the manual for an example.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-03 20:04
    SSteve said...

I agree with that one. From working with past editors, Ctrl+insert and Shift+insert are what my muscle memory reach for.

Also, why doesn't Alt-F4 quit the program? Isn't that a standard Windows key combo?

Sorry about that, isn't that a hold-over from DOS days?· I wasn't aware of Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert being implimented by any editor, but I can see that it is.· I will add it.

The Alt+F4 was unintentionally snubbed by some trapping code.· I will fix that also.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-03 20:06
    Ym2413a said...
    I found out that if I start multi-tasking on my win2k machine when loading a program to the Propeller's RAM it will lockup for a second and give me an error. (Then the prop chip resets and loads what ever junk is in the EEPROM)

Basically when I press F10, I don't click around until the program is done loading and that seems to be a 100% fool proof work around.
    Hi,

The downloading timing is sensitive to things that Windows does (like allocate CPU time to other processes and unpredictable times).· There may be a way I can minimize that situation, or eliminate it, however.· I will look into it as soon as possible.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-03 20:12
    I've definitely noticed it, and it's somewhat annoying; whenever my virus checker decides to look for updates, or new mail comes in, or whatever,
    all of the sudden my propeller is not doing what I told it to. I always F11 something *very* different from what I'm doing so I can distinguish
    that case from a new bug in my program.
  • GdSisGdSis Posts: 12
    edited 2007-01-04 01:33
    Jeff Martin (Parallax) said...
    GdSis said...

The Propeller Tool supports this by clicking and dragging the editor tabs either to the lower part of the editor or out of the tool's window border.· See pages 42 and 43 of the manual for an example.

Good! Thank you, sorry I wasn't aware of that as I was really busy reading other very interesting sections
    so totally overlooked all tool's·pages rolleyes.gif
    edited 2007-01-04 02:25
    The tool has a lot of neat features. You can for instance drag one of the windows completely out of the IDE frame, so it gets its own GUI window.
    That is cool. Learn how to assign the top object, so you can recompile a subobject, download it and test it all in one keystroke. Etc.

I find that I skip things, somehow (maybe lack of focus?) and I frequently benefit from a cover-to-cover rereading of the manual. I am always
    amazed at how much is really in there, but I do not fully get it until the third or fourth reading.
    edited 2007-01-04 02:28
    Sorry about that, isn't that a hold-over from DOS days? I wasn't aware of Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert being implimented by any editor, but I can see that it is. I will add it.
    I suppose it is a hold-over, but for some reason I always want to use that instead of Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-X) and Ctrl-V when I use a PC.

After a little thought I think it's because I'm usually highlighting code with Shift and arrow keys, so it's much faster to keep Shift held down and press Delete then use the arrows to move to the insert point and press Shift+Insert. Yep. I just did a little test in Notepad and my years of editing in Borland Pascal for Windows came back in a flash! Thanks in advance for adding it. Don't forget Shift+Delete for Cut!

One other thing I'd love to see is a mode where pressing right-arrow at the end of a line moves the cursor to the beginning of the next line. That's how all the other (non-Parallax) editors I use work. I have a really hard time getting used to the different behavior.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

links:
    My band's website
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-04 02:32
    SSteve said...

Sorry about that, isn't that a hold-over from DOS days? I wasn't aware of Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert being implimented by any editor, but I can see that it is. I will add it.

The Alt+F4 was unintentionally snubbed by some trapping code. I will fix that also.

Thanks.

Yes, the Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert are indeed holdovers. Virtually every windows application, and most text box type classes on dialog boxes, etc. support the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. These (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) are the "Windows Standard", same as Alt+F4. While I can understand a desire for the "Insert" variations, I sure wouldn't want to have the "C/V" versions not work, and have a different set of keystrokes to use than every other Windows application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2007-01-04 02:40
    Oh, no. I certainly am not pushing for "instead of" but "in addition to". I'm not completely up-to-date on current Windows practices, but I think most programs and text boxes still support Shift+Delete and its kin. I just tested Notepad and the address bar in Firefox and they do (on Win2k).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

links:
    My band's website
    edited 2007-01-04 16:53
    SSteve said...

After a little thought I think it's because I'm usually highlighting code with Shift and arrow keys, so it's much faster to keep Shift held down and press Delete then use the arrows to move to the insert point and press Shift+Insert. Yep. I just did a little test in Notepad and my years of editing in Borland Pascal for Windows came back in a flash! Thanks in advance for adding it. Don't forget Shift+Delete for Cut!

One other thing I'd love to see is a mode where pressing right-arrow at the end of a line moves the cursor to the beginning of the next line. That's how all the other (non-Parallax) editors I use work. I have a really hard time getting used to the different behavior.
    Okay, I've noted it.· The latter will have to be some preference setting that will be off by default because a lot of people are used to the "move the cursor anywhere" nature of our editors... but it should be doable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-04 16:56
    John R. said...
    Yes, the Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert are indeed holdovers. Virtually every windows application, and most text box type classes on dialog boxes, etc. support the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. These (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) are the "Windows Standard", same as Alt+F4. While I can understand a desire for the "Insert" variations, I sure wouldn't want to have the "C/V" versions not work, and have a different set of keystrokes to use than every other Windows application
    Oh yes, in-addition-to, not instead-of.· Got it. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-04 17:13

Hi,

The downloading timing is sensitive to things that Windows does (like allocate CPU time to other processes and unpredictable times). There may be a way I can minimize that situation, or eliminate it, however. I will look into it as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Really I can't think of many other bugs other then that.
    Adobe and Microsoft's tools gives me more problems day to day. tongue.gif

The propeller IDE is one of the less buggier tools I've used.
    So I think you and your team have done a really good job with it.

--Andrew Arsenault.
    edited 2007-01-04 18:35
    Sorry, Jeff, but how about one more? Ctrl-F4 to close a file.

Give us an inch and we'll take a mile, huh? smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

links:
    My band's website
    edited 2007-01-04 18:54
    Here's a minor defect I noticed (and posted about in the trips and traps section, which was probably the wrong place).

If you do

pub start(a) | b[noparse][[/noparse]8000]

This works (well, it compiles; I can't guarantee it *works*)

but you do

pub start(a) | b[noparse][[/noparse]8193]

you get an error:

Limit of 4096 local variables exceeded.

So I'm not sure if the "8000" will fail at runtime in some odd way (that is, the limit is 4096 but it's not enforced there), or if
    the error message is wrong (the real limit is all of memory), or what is going on.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2007-05-30 21:34
    I updated to 1.05.5. When I double clicked on a .spin file, I got the unknown file association file dialog. If I browsed to propeller.exe and selected open the file did not open in the IDE. I then went to TOOLS-Folder Options-File Types and tried to set the association to Propeller.exe. That didn't work. The final answer was to drag a .spin file to the desktop icon. The IDE asked me if I wanted to reset file associations. This happened on two computers running Windows XP Pro. Fortunately I had not errased the desktop icon yet.