Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Making my head spin... — Parallax Forums

Making my head spin...

SteelSteel Posts: 313
edited 2007-05-27 13:11 in Propeller 1
So I just recieved my propeller kit, and my head is spinning...

This chip is phenomenal...unfortunately, it is difficult to wrap my brain around.

I went through Chapter3 in the Manual, and was completely depressed when it said "You should now know enough to make your own projects..."·· ...because I don't feel like I really have an understanding of how to get it running.

I feel like I have a LOOOONNGGG ways to go to even understand this thing· :S

I am currently going through the Propeller language, and will be going through the assembly language...are there any tutorials online anywhere to work with the dev board?· I would like to learn more about PWM's, Stereo output, and the piezo speaker.

Good work, Parallax...This product blows away anything that I have come across...The only thing it is lacking is an internal USB Stack to do a direct USB.

Shaun

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-25 22:21
    The tutorials for the Propeller Education Kit are useful and can be downloaded. There are also some "sticky threads" at the beginnin of the Propeller forum that are also useful. Have a look at the sample programs that come with the Demo Board. Many programs come with extensive comments at the beginning ... sort of a "mini-manual". Have a look at the programs in the Propeller Object Exchange. All of these downloads can be linked from the main Propeller webpage.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-05-26 16:29
    Steel,

"This chip is phenomenal... unfortunately, it is difficult to wrap my brain around."

I think that is everyone's initial impression... and the more you learn about the entire system, the more amazed you will be.

I started from zero... with no controller experience... and no electronics experience... just informal use of higher level languages (which included a smig of 68000 assembly... a long time ago).
    I originally estimated that it might take me a year (at about 10 hours a week) to know what I wanted to know... I actually over-estimated the time requirements... and as the supporting materials get better...
    the learning curve seems to be flattening out very nicely.

All I can say is relax... take your time. Spin is very intuitive. Propeller Assembly hasn't yet been properly digested and spit out in a form that is easy to wrap anyone's brain around.
    By the time you can't avoid the issue of Propeller Assembly any more... the supporting materials will be much more complete.

I agree with Mike... the shortest path for a complete novice is studying the labs for the Propeller Education Kit, but I would start with the Demo Board... to get a full appreciation of what is possible... the Demo Board provides a truly inspirational experience... and the hassle-free access to both composite and VGA really supports the learning process.

You didn't say which kit that you have, but I would strongly recommend BOTH the Demo Board and the Education Kit...

Rich
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2007-05-26 23:15
    Your head is spinning? That's normal, start worrying when you find yourself thinking in assembly [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-27 00:15
    Been here for two months myself... Head still spinning...

My problem is, (and several can relate) about the time I think I have my head wrapped around
    what this processor does, and how to do it, someone here make another breakthrough with a new
    spin object or adjunct program which opens even more possibilities... Back to square one, trying
    to completely understand it.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The thing just keeps astounding me too... Enjoy it..
    It's been a long time since I've seen technology that does this..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-27 13:11
    thinking in assembly isn't the worry point, it's when you dream in assembly, then when you wake up, you type it in and it not only works, but runs perfectly [noparse]:)[/noparse]