Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX-Key Error: Chip connection failed — Parallax Forums

SX-Key Error: Chip connection failed

Green PhantomGreen Phantom Posts: 21
edited 2007-05-26 16:51 in General Discussion
Has anyone come across this situation?

I was programming one of my SX chips on the SX Tech Board for the first time out and the SX-Key software first indicates an error stating that the chip connection failed.· Then after a few seconds, it generates the message SX-Key Not Found on COM1.· But the SX-key was correctly inserted into the pins on the Tech Board and the chip was inserted in the correct indexed order.· My guess is that the SX-Key is defective or the SX chip.· Please explain what I should do!

Comments

• PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-05-02 00:29
    Green Phantom,

You mentioned programming "one of my chips". Have you programmed other chips successfully? Do you have other chips to test with now? If so, try one of them. Also, did you try the same chip again to make sure it wasn't just some transient problem?

Thanks,
    PeterM
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-02 00:34
    Speaking of transients Peter mentioned, which power supply are you using? Is this being done on a breadboard?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Green PhantomGreen Phantom Posts: 21
    edited 2007-05-02 05:03
    I just purchased the SX Tech Tool Kit PLUS a week ago and it arrived by mail on Monday.· I just started programming today.· I was trying to download an LED-Flasher SX/B program and this is only my first time.· I only used the two SX chips that arrived in the kit.· I have a sinking feeling I may have to shovel up $500 for a professional universal programmer and do all my programs in assembly language and possibly abandon programming in SX/B code.· Another possibility could be the computer and the 9-pin serial port, although the system hardware management dialogue windows detect no device conflicts.· I sure am off to a very disappointing start.· I tried to program the chip(s) on a breadboard, to no avail.· So the biggest concern for factory defects may be centered on the SX Key.

Green Phantom
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2007-05-02 12:49
    It sounds like you're willing to throw in the towel (and $500) pretty quickly.

It sounds like you're on the wrong comm port. Are you sure you are on Comm. 1?

HTH, Chris
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-05-02 14:31
    Green Phantom,
    Try every com port option in Run->Configure->IDE
    Try a different SX chip (I think the kit comes with two).
    If you can, post a picture of your setup.

Are you using a USB to Serial adapter ? Many of them don't work properly with the SX-Key (because it needs precise timing).

Don't give up, try anything and everything. Call Parallax tech support, they are friendly and are willing to help.

Keep us up-to-date...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-05-02 14:52
    Hello Mr Phantom,

I wouldn't get discouraged quite yet. There is probably a simple explaination as to why you are not able to download the example programs to your development board. Once you get past these initial problems I think you'll find that the SX chips are pretty easy to work with and there are plenty of people on the forum that are willing to assist when you get stuck.

In order to troubleshoot the problem it would be helpful if you can provide some other details....

1. You mentioned you bought the SX Tech Tool Kit PLUS but you didn't mention what power supply you are using. Did you purchase the recommened power adapter from Parallax at the same time? If not what power source are you using?

2. The power from the SX-key should be 5v from the SX tech board or you'll have to supply the 5V if you're doing it manually on a breadboard. Can you check with a voltmeter to ensure that there is 5v getting to the SX-Key?

3. In regards to your host PC what are you using? Is it a laptop, desktop, etc? Does it have an internal modem?? If it does then it was common for the real 9-pin serial port to be disabled in the BIOS and the modem would be on COM1. The SX-key might be trying to talk to a modem instead!

4. Have you ever used the serial port on your PC to talk to any other devices? I've run into one case with the small ribbon cable going to the back of the computer was left disconnected. You'll need to confirm that the port is ok.

5. If none of the above helps then what OS and version are you using?

Let us know.

Robert
    edited 2007-05-02 15:21
    Green Phantom said...
    I just purchased the SX Tech Tool Kit PLUS a week ago and it arrived by mail on Monday.· I just started programming today.· I was trying to download an LED-Flasher SX/B program and this is only my first time.· I only used the two SX chips that arrived in the kit.· I have a sinking feeling I may have to shovel up $500 for a professional universal programmer and do all my programs in assembly language and possibly abandon programming in SX/B code.· Another possibility could be the computer and the 9-pin serial port, although the system hardware management dialogue windows detect no device conflicts.· I sure am off to a very disappointing start.· I tried to program the chip(s) on a breadboard, to no avail.· So the biggest concern for factory defects may be centered on the SX Key.
    If there's a problem with the SX-Key we will take care of it.· That said, we always try to cover the more likely suspects first sicne 9 out of 10 times it's not a hardware defect.· You didn't mention your power supply which is one of the most common problems with programming the SX.· Please post exactly what you're using.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-05-03 19:37
    AWWWW!!! Wait a minute!!! Are you guys asking what power supply I am using??? I was using a multi-voltage (3V to 9V) Archer power supply from Radio Shack. You and Parallax advise me to try the power supply Parallax sells for the Tech Board. Its ratings are 7.5 volts at 1 amp. The Archer power supply I am using cranks out only 300mA - one third of what is recommended. That should be the culprit! Radio Shack probably is still selling wall adapters of 3 to 12 VDC, even at 1 amp. The 7.5V, 1 amp power supply Parallax sells may also be selling at Radio Shack, too! I'll personally find out if that is the problem. By the way, the breadboard I was using to test the chip is 12VDC with a 7805 regulator that regulates the voltage to 5 VDC at 1A. When I try out the power supply with the specifications Parallax recommends and this solves the whole thing, I'll let you know.

Oh... one more thing... the $500 I mentioned is planned for purchasing a Xeltek 280U Universal Programmer. I want to program more than just SX chips and this universal programmer (and an alterlative called 'Leaper') may support SX18 and SX28 Chips. When I resolve the issues, one of the experiments I would like to work on is to take my SX/B programs and convert them to HEX formats for the universal programmers like the Xeltek.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate your replies!

G. Phantom
    edited 2007-05-03 19:42
    Oh, and there are no problems with the serial port at all. When I first started programming microcontrollers with the BASIC Stamp 2 a little earlier on, it programmed that device beautifully. But unfortunately, the BASIC Stamp is too slow and too expensive to acquire for my purposes, although the BASIC Stamp family is proven to be very reliable.
    edited 2007-05-03 19:46
    And, no... I wasn't using a USB-to-Serial cable for the SX Tech Board with the SX Key. I read from Parallax, Inc. that SX chips are extremely troublesome to program with the SX Blitz with USB ports and require a reinstallation of the USB drivers on your computer before plugging one in.
    edited 2007-05-03 20:23
    Alas, my friends, not even a power supply of 1A would help matters. It seems that programming with the SX Key is dead. I just can't find any way to program the chip(s) with the SX/B compiler. My desktop computer has only one serial port: COM1. I feel like putting this microcontroller venture into pasture and go for a more powerful microcontroller programming tool. The SX Key right now is performing like The Price Is Right "Master Key" that opens nothing!

Mission Aborted!

G. Phantom
    edited 2007-05-03 21:27
    Hello,

There are no issues with the SX-Blitz on USB that I am aware of. In fact the current version of the SX-Blitz is USB. If your SX-Key is not working you should contact us in Tech Support to arrange to have it sent in for testing. If it’s defective we’ll replace it. But we cannot determine what may have happened until we have the device. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-05-04 01:32
    Can I send back by mail the SX-Key, by itself so you can test it?

G. Phantom
    edited 2007-05-04 04:47
    You will need to contact us directly for an RMA number to send the device in for testing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Nicolai CzempinNicolai Czempin Posts: 1
    edited 2007-05-07 10:59
    I also had this error message, along with the "SX Key not found on COM1" message (on the pico edition xgamestation). Nearly drove me crazy. For some reason, when I started being very deliberate with the order in which I: turn on the power, plug in the key, start the SXKey software, it suddenly worked.

I also had a situation where the SX28 did not have 100 % contact on the breadboard, and that also seeemed to cause this error message.

Perhaps you should look in that direction too before sending it back...

Post Edited (Nicolai Czempin) : 5/7/2007 12:28:43 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-11 04:38
    hop.gif·Yay!

Amidst the confusion, I decided to go USB and purchase the SX Blitz Programmer.· Blitz saved the day!· My e-machines is capable of acquiring the USB Drivers for devices like the SX.· The USB Serial Port on this computer for the SX Blitz is recognized by the Device Manager as COM4.· It unexpectedly performed belying the "Incorrect Device Drivers" problem displayed in the www.parallax.com web pages.· I gave one of the SX/B programs (HIGH-LOW.SXB) one last shot and this time it programmed the SX Chip!

So, Mr. Savage, I don't need to send over the SX Key device for testing anymore.· I now know it was defective when I first attempted to program the SX device.· However, is it possible to return the device to replace it?· Once I installed the USB drivers for the SX Blitz, it proved that the SX Key is defective and needs replacement.· The next question is, though... what device am I going to invent with the SX chips???· From here onward, that's left to my imagination... and likely the purchase of devices like Multilabs' ezVID and ezVGA and other goodies.

·
    edited 2007-05-11 17:40
    You would still need to contact us directly for an RMA number to send it in. We’d still need to test it. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-05-13 04:10
    Where can I contact you for the RMA number for the return of the SX Key? Ohhhh.... and since I now have the SX Blitz to fill the gap for the SX Key... I would like you to do me a favor, will you, Chris? I read an article from the www.parallax.com website on the MAX7219 8-digit, 7-segment LED display processor/driver. The PDF file that includes the data sheet for the MAX7219 shows you how to program in assembly language for the Microchip PIC ICs and for the BASIC Stamp 2. I will appreciate it if you or somebody has knowledge on how to do the same with the SX chips. One possibility I am studying is, amongst the commands for the programming of the MAX7219 in SX/B (or assembly), is the use of commands like SEROUT. I got a pair of Motorola 7212X, 7-digit, 7-segment displays with the decimal points located on top of each digit as 5-mm LED indicators, with the LEDs, from left-to-right, 3 green "DP"'s, 2 reds and 2 yellows. One of the two displays has green 7-segments and the other one has yellow segments. Both are 28-pin DIP units with the "decimal points" having their own, independent anode and cathode connections each. These are exactly the same 7-segment LED displays used in some of the earlier Motorola cell phones! I also have a tiny 9-digit, 7-segment LED display from Texas Instruments, possibly reproduction or pulled parts for some of the early TI calculators. I am going to try to make a small, calculator-like device for a costume design for a superhero novel I am writing, with a keypad featuring numbers 0-9, a "SHIFT" key for special functions and an "ENTER" button. I am going to attempt to use one single SX28AC chip and a MAX7219 with room left over for the unused I/O pins reserved for external device interface (like an RF transmitter/receiver, infrared/remote control transmitter, etc.) 12 of the 20 I/O ports on the SX28AC are reserved for the keypad button encoding, 3 for the MAX7129 (for serial interfacing) and the other five remaining I?O pins for connecting other devices to the SX28 besides the MAX7219. Though there are only buttons with numbers 0-9, the extra button I plan to include will shift the characters 0-9 like the SHIFT key on a keyboard or typewriter. The 0-9 numeric keypad will actually be a hexadecimal keypad with at least six of the buttons 0-9 used to interpret letters A to F and the other remaining four of the buttons for special commands. Any other thing I need? LIkely my imagination.

Green Phantom
    edited 2007-05-13 04:53
    Hello,

Please contact us via e-mail (support@parallax.com) or phone (1-888-997-8267). As for the MAX7219…Eventually someone may post some good code for it. Currently I am not aware of any for it, but with SX/B you should be able to recreate the BS2 code fairly simply. I would recommend trying it and if you have problems post what you have here (in a new thread) for assistance. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2007-05-13 21:49
    have always had a problem with my sx tech board and my emachine.. when i want to program the sx28 i unplug the power to the sxtech and wait a min, then plug in... and program
    this , of course· means that onchip debug is not avail to me
    but it works
    parallax tech tested my sx key... sat
    yes i have the parallax power supply that was for the sx tech
    and i have a large cap on it like gunther suggests..
    just started programming sx's again, maybe i'll have to go with that usb key
    dan

Post Edited (Sawmiller) : 5/13/2007 10:16:17 PM GMT
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2007-05-26 16:51
    Hey all,

when testing my SX48DIP module, I came across the famous "chip connection failed" error message.

For testing, I had inserted an SX48DIP module in the breadboard area of a Parallax PDB, hooked up wires to Vdd and Vss, installed a 4-pin header for the SX-Key on the breadboard, and connected it to Vdd, Vss, OSC1, and OSC2, as usual, just to end up in a "chip connection failed" error when trying to send a program to the SX48 with the SX-Key.

The reason was simple enough but it took me a while to find out: I forgot to tie the MCLR pin to Vdd. Shame on me !!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G