Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
pololu micro dual motor serial controller — Parallax Forums

pololu micro dual motor serial controller

agfaagfa Posts: 295
edited 2007-05-22 00:25 in General Discussion
I'm not sure if I am posting in the proper forum or not.

Parallax sells this pololu product.· If I purchased it, could I post questions in a parallax forum, or would I have to rely on pololu.· I plan to first interface with the bs2 (because it's easier, at least, for me) then the propeller.· I did research at parallax and only found a limited amount of info.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-21 21:15
    If we sell it, we support it. This is the appropriate forum to ask questions about it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-21 21:26
    To temper Paul's enthusiatic expression of Parallax's commitment to support ... If you or anyone else wants to use a Parallax sold product with some other company's microcontroller or, for that matter, a Parallax microcontroller with some very unusual non-Parallax peripheral product, then there's a limit to the the amount of support that can be provided, mostly because no one may be experienced enough with the non-Parallax product to be of much use other than to give very general advice or to provide examples using Parallax products. That said, Parallax does an unusually excellent job of supporting what it sells.
    edited 2007-05-21 22:39
    Well, thats true, but we will still provide support for our own product, we just can't help with the interfacing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-05-21 23:57
    What we mean is, let's say you buy the Pololu motor controller, and you decide you want to interface it with an Atmel ATMega8. We will help you with any questions you have about the motor controller, we can tell you what the interface to the motor controller is and how it works electrically and the communication protocol in order to get the motor controller to work. But what we can't do is provide you code examples for the ATMega8 or assistance with programming the ATMega8 because A) we don't have an ATMega8 in our possesion and B) we don't have the resources to be doing code work on microcontrollers we don't manufacture (you'd be suprised how often people ask).

We both know you will be using it with our microcontrollers, Mike was just trying to reign in my overarching statement. It just depends on how you define "tech support", with nearly all companies this does not mean writing your code for you (thats your job), but Parallax provides so many code examples that people tend to expect more from us even if it's not really a valid expectation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/22/2007 12:02:11 AM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-22 00:25
    agfa,
    I did read your original post carefully and I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
    Mike Green